1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Converting SMF to Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by fare, Nov 14, 2014.

Hello,

I am looking for the best method to convert a Simple Machines Forum (SMF) to Xenforo. As there is no official importer by Xenforo to convert SMF currently, I have learnt that it can be done via a double import (i.e: SMF -> PHPBB -> XenForo).

However, I also read that passwords will not always work after a double import and I would wish to avoid that situation. I prefer a clean forum conversion which will convert/import accounts, threads/posts and attachments successfully without having to mess with the database too much.

Has anyone managed to convert (including the passwords) from SMF to Xenforo successfully? How was the conversion carried out? Is there any tool or unofficial importer for that?

Any constructive feedbacks will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You :)

fare, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  2. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I did a SMF -> vBulletin -> Xenforo conversion. There were a few passwords I had to fix, but for the most part everything went smoothly. There are people in the services section on Xenforo.com's customer forum that offer a conversion service if you'd rather not do it yourself. You didn't mention the size of your forum, that to me would be the key detail. For a small forum it's a quick and easy job. If you're dealing with something big like a Digitalpoint size forum, you might need help, particularly if you're not comfortable working from the command line and with sql queries. The one I did was smallish, around 250,000 posts and 10,000 members. But, then I've done a couple dozen forum conversions on my own previously (but that was my first SMF to XF conversion).

petertdavis, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  3. fare

fare Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Yes, I have contacted a few people on XF's community and it seems that it's a tedious task to retain the passwords. Can you share with us on how the issue was fixed? I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle to convert.

SMF to XF conversion is tricky especially having to deal with double imports. The size of the forum is smaller than the one you converted previously.

Regards

fare, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  4. maxicep

maxicep Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can try smf to vbulletin converting first, then go xenforo. You will keep the passwords

maxicep, Nov 19, 2014 IP
  5. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a beta SMF importer included in Xenforo now

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/smf-importer-beta-improvements.87526/

Creaky, Nov 22, 2014 IP