1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Short Meta description more effective?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Usman Asif, Nov 14, 2014.

I am noticing that short meta title is being preferred by search engine, I have used 60 character Title (without spaces) and my sites ranking has decreased, on the other hand when the Meta title was between 24-31 ranking was much more better. ? is it common?

Usman Asif, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  2. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    In all truth it's very difficult to associate a shorter meta tag with better Google rankings. This is because there are many factors taken into account by Google that make up a website ranking.

In my experience if your meta tag is punchy this can be more attractive to visitors in the search engine results pages.

If your meta tag is highly optimised and short rather than stuffed with keywords then I imagine that Google would value this.

lightlysalted, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  3. Installmania

Installmania Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't see any difference in sites ranking with descriptions and without for last several years

Installmania, Nov 14, 2014 IP
    sigiziy, Maximus325 and Satirist like this.
  4. braulio

braulio Active Member

Best Answers:
    As far as character count you can go to about 155 characters. My recommendation is based on this article, http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2067564/How-To-Use-HTML-Meta-Tags. I have been practicing this for quite a while. Have a good results on search results. Notice the meta tag description section of the article and they mention 155 characters.

Also, here is a good Google article on writing a good meta description, https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35624?rd=1. Please note the section of the article titled " Create good meta descriptions ".

Good luck and hope these articles help you.

Braulio

braulio, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  5. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The key is to create a meta description that is interesting and relevant enough to draw clicks. Your closely-watched click-through rate will improve, as will your search engine results.

Jim4767, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  6. rockk460

rockk460 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How to Write an Effective Meta Description (Yes, They Still Matter)

rockk460, Nov 19, 2014 IP
  7. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean with your post? I am confused...

By the way, keep the title short and readable in less than 5 seconds (*human read!). 50-60 characters is pretty enough, try placing the keyword there, but be sure to make it look natural, don't just place two, three keywords there because you do SEO to get visitors at all, not Search Engines! ;)

patco, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  8. pennman

pennman Member

Best Answers:
    Are you confused regarding title or description?

Anyways,There's no point whether it's short or long meta description. Make sure that all you're including focus keyword in meta description. And talking about meta title, it should also have focus keyword. Limit for meta desc - 156 chars and for meta title - 6o chars.

pennman, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  9. leonidus1981

leonidus1981 Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe that was supposed to be a link or something. 50-60 char is ok - the goal is whole title to be dispayed at search results page. I've noticed some changes when title begins from the main keyword of the page, when there is only one keyword in the title, like this - "Keyword, few additional words | domain/brand/site name"

leonidus1981, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  10. EssayPartner

EssayPartner Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are many factors that are not allow to associate shorter title or description with Google ranking.
    As for description, it have to be interesting to bring more clicks as it was mentioned by Jim4767.
    As for me, i think short title doesnt have any common with better positions in Google.

EssayPartner, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  11. inkBlogger[Dot]Com

inkBlogger[Dot]Com Member

Best Answers:
    length is not the issue actually .. But make it meaningful .. if the readers have to "guess" the tail of the title then how it will be helpful ? So make the title short and meaningful, so that readers can understand what it is all about.

Same time try to include the target keywords in the beginning of the title and meta rather than at the end. This is more important than the length of the meta.

inkBlogger[Dot]Com, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  12. Usman Asif

Usman Asif Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your response, and i have noticed that instead of focusing on many keywords, one short tail keyword rank batter if used as Meta title. but the problem is it does not work that way always.. I understand there are many ranking factors involved but on fresh sites of same niche the responses should be correctable

Usman Asif, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  13. Usman Asif

Usman Asif Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    But sometimes it does help which is why i have posted this question.. Anyways thank you for your time.

Usman Asif, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  14. DiamondArticles

DiamondArticles Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Best answer from this guy :)

Title shouldn be more than 70 , meta description no more than 155.
    My two cents :)

DiamondArticles, Nov 25, 2014 IP
  15. chris.stevo

chris.stevo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Errr...this is just plain wrong.

You need to do more in depth research.

Google DEFINITELY looks at the description tag. We prefer to write LONG descriptions, disregarding the so called 'recommendations' for the number of characters, but including a good amount of keywords (without making it obviously spammy)

Google doesn't give a rats arse how long your description is (again, proviso about obvious spamming) but it will chop it off in the snippet, so be smart, use a snippet tool and make sure your description reads ok (by that I mean is compelling and relevant) before it gets chopped. After the chop, you will still benefit by having the extra keywords, and if you test this, you will see it works because if you search for something AFTER your chop point, Google will return your page, and highlight the relevant keyword, which it finds, even if it is after the chop.

All the 'recommendations' about 'meta description no more than 155 characters' are total bunkum in SEO terms. All you are doing is ensuring your snippet will be seen in its entirety. that's it. Period.

Trust what I say is true, but test for yourself.

Don't be a sheep, do things differently.

chris.stevo, Nov 25, 2014 IP