1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best way to improve the traffic of a blog? Short or long posts?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by jslirola, Oct 19, 2014.

?

What is the best way to improve the traffic of a blog?

1. 2 or 3 short posts per week

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. 1 or 2 long posts per month

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
    Hello everyone, i know this topic is very repeated but i want propose a survey exposing the following cases:

a) Write short posts along to a week, approximately 2 or 3.
    b) Write long posts along to a month, approximately 1 or 2.

Currently i have bit free time and write two or three articles per month but i lost many visits. Maybe the first option is the best? Although the content is not as long, visitors will see more activity on my site.

And you? Which option do you prefer? Obviously i guess that with more free time, long posts and along to week.

jslirola, Oct 19, 2014 IP
  2. B@SteR

B@SteR Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you're asking about improving your blog traffic I'll give you this; longer content is USUALLY better.
    Although the traffic won't magically appear if you write longer posts. Whether you write short or long posts, you'll have to promote the crap out of them. NOT just a couple of shares on social media, I'm talking about blogger's outreach as well as guest posting and other techniques but that's topic for another day. Longer posts are usually better for SEO as well. Usually, you'll have more inbound links and more long-tail keyword phrases.

At the end of the day, writing short or long content really depends on you and your writing style. If you are comfortable writing short pieces that'll WOW your readers go for it, but if you want to bring value to your readers simply by doing longer posts with more details, you should do that.

My advice is this: Do not stress about the exact content length (although longer might be better), make sure you bring EXTREME VALUE to your readers and DO NOT FORGET TO PROMOTE your posts.

P.S. This post from Neil Patel will give you a data driven answer to your question: http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/03/31/how-long-should-each-blog-post-be-a-data-driven-answer/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    B@SteR, Oct 19, 2014 IP
  3. jslirola

jslirola Active Member

Best Answers:
    thank you for reply. i read the post of Neil Patel and has been interesting.
    if somebody want to write their opinion, perfect.

jslirola, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  4. Dario McNut

Dario McNut Member

Best Answers:
    Short but concise and quality post would suffice. It doesn't matter if its long or short as long as its a quality post.

Dario McNut, Oct 30, 2014 IP
  5. AndySurtees

AndySurtees Member

Best Answers:
    It also helps if your content, regardless of length, is either highly Googleable or highly shareable. Making it Googleable is very difficult and generally takes time, whereas making it shareable is fairly easy. "Top x reasons why..." lists, emotionally affecting headlines, food, cat videos - we've all seen this stuff picking up loads of shares even if it's not exactly ground-breaking content. Or, if your content actually is groundbreaking, you'll soon be Googleable, so do a bit of basic SEO and cultivate some worthwhile, genuine inbound links and you'll do great.

AndySurtees, Oct 30, 2014 IP
  6. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think what matters most is you are able to give invaluable information to your audience.

Patricia Ann Lee, Oct 30, 2014 IP
  7. @danielf2193

@danielf2193 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with B@SteR on meeting other bloggers to bring in more readers. It helps out a lot, have you tried meeting others?

@danielf2193, Oct 31, 2014 IP
  8. krishatnet

krishatnet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Write short posts along to a week, approximately 2 or 3 and posts should be useful to users and unique.

krishatnet, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  9. Jim Bean

Jim Bean Member

Best Answers:
    The options are a bit limiting here, probably best to do 2 to 3 long posts a week and spend time promoting each of them. If you have the time.

Jim Bean, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  10. Upaul

Upaul Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey guys! New to the forum. I was having issues finding the right sort of headlines that worked. I recently found a great ebook with a wide selection of engaging headlines that I highly recommend, its already helped me improved my blog traffic. Check it out (scroll down a bit) and let me know your thoughts! www.alomay.com

Upaul, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  11. mp988

mp988 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey everyone! My question is it better stuffing your blog with text or video content?

mp988, Nov 14, 2014 IP
  12. scithe

scithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read somewhere a while back that loyal readers/subscribers like frequent posts so 2-3/week would be better.

However, I don't feel your options are balanced. 2-3 short per week or 1 long per week would make more sense to me. Unless your longs are 6 times the size of a short.

scithe, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  13. Snoopy240

Snoopy240 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been blogging for quite a while now. And I made many mistakes along the way.

One of the biggest mistakes I have made when trying to build a successful blog online was spending way too much time writing blog posts every week.

Sometimes writing blog posts every week can become very time consuming and the marketing part of the process gets affected by it. And you should know that the marketing part of the blog building process, IS the most important part!

Before I would worry soo much more about publishing a new blog post every day or every week - and that would burn me out and leave me with less energy to promote the blog.

The key in building a successful blog is no on how often you publish content but on how many new visitors you are driving to the blog on a daily basis.

What is the point in publishing soo much new content every week if not too many people are reading it?

I would only worry a lot more on publishing new content .... 1) when the blog is brand new online and 2) when the blog is at least getting 500 unique visitors a day.

Of course, if your blog is brand new online then yessss ... you should focus a lot more on creating EPIC Content!

Once you got a good amount of very valuable blog posts - it is time to put in the most important work and that would be the marketing of that content. When you are at this stage - worry more about building up the daily traffic flow to the blog - spend less time publishing new blog posts. Publish 1 new blog post per week while you are working very hard on the marketing of the blog. Once your blog it's getting about 500+ visitors a day - then you can get back to publishing more new blog posts daily or weekly.

Marketing is key!

This is from my own experiencing blogging online and this is something I have learned from the top bloggers in this industry! ;)

I hope this helps!

I wish you the best of the best!

Cheers! :D

Snoopy240, Nov 17, 2014 IP
    Lannister10 likes this.
  14. mp988

mp988 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot :)

mp988, Nov 19, 2014 IP
  15. Kanika Mehta

Kanika Mehta Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys,

As per my opinion 2-3 days after posts in a week on any blog is much more important to drive traffic whether it is long or short posts. But doing only posts on the blog is not good enough to bring traffic on a blog. The most important part in the online promotion of the blog. If you can do online promotion by sharing your blog in some different social media sites or take some other marketing strategy, then it will be better to get more traffic on your blog.

http://www.motherszone.com/

Kanika Mehta, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  16. nprins

nprins Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously this depends on your niche, but if you are looking for real interaction from your visitors and you want to create some really useful then you should go long. Around 1,600 words is the optimum length - http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/03/31/how-long-should-each-blog-post-be-a-data-driven-answer/. The big benefit of this is that you also get some long term love from Google with long tail search terms. If you are looking for great ideas for your post that will inspire your audience then I'd recommend checking out this post - http://start2profit.com/guest-posting/. Hope that helps.

nprins, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  17. seatal

seatal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    well,i think you must be focused on both quality and quantity of content.

seatal, Dec 4, 2014 IP
  18. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    On my own blogs, I try to keep a normal article length of at least 600 to 900 words - average blog post, packed with USEFUL ideas and content. Then I will go 1,000 words and up for any sort of GUIDE I create as a blog post. If I am writing into to 20,000+ word range or higher, I tend to start focusing on eBooks, have written a few of them as well. Length doesn't matter though if your posts are not interesting, write posts that are useful and not easily found before yours is found. As for how many times to posts, on my popular blogs I post Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays all around noon time CST. On my growing-to-popularity blogs, I post Tuesdays and Thursdays at around noonish CST as well. I think 3 posts, GOOD POSTS a week is fine, once a day could also be okay but remember, you don't want to overload your readership. My 2 cents :)

Shawn Gossman, Dec 4, 2014 IP
  19. Active

Active Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Promoting a blog has become much difficult these days because of Google's algorithmic updates. Promote your blog slowly by white hat techniques only.

Active, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  20. workingaswriter

workingaswriter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Previously I used to write a blog post with 350-500 word count. But now I write a 1000 word count blog post or at least 800 words. A long post must have a lot of interesting content with sub-heads and provide more interesting content throughout the article. That will surely win a lot of views and also a very good response.

workingaswriter, Dec 13, 2014 IP