1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Siteground wants me to upgrade to $70/m from $5/month (what to do??)

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Dedicatedminds, Nov 5, 2014.

Hi all , my website has now 3000 daily visitors..google keeps rejecting my adsense requests and I hardly sell $40 product once monthly..

Now siteground tells me that I am consuming resources and I need to upgrade to $69 monthly cloud hosting!

Any other good hosts that can handly 200,000 monthly visits with reasonable price ??

Dedicatedminds, Nov 5, 2014 IP
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'd look for a better host and monetize your site better if you're really getting 3,000 visitors a day and can't make 40 a month..

Brandon Sheley, Nov 5, 2014 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    adsense is not the only ad network in the world you know. The fact that your site makes less then $200 is shocking. Really, if only 1% CTR, at just $0.10 = $200 per month. What I am wondering, is how many humans are visiting your site? the reason I mention this is that
    I had one site, which was article directory. Showed massive traffic amounts, yet inexplicably, zero income. I actually think that the majority of the traffic might have been automated software people use for submitting articles.

There are multiple other hosting options available to you. Checkout Amazon Web Services if you want.
    Other options such as Digital Ocean are great, its easy to scale up on demand, but its unmanaged. This might be cheap, but ultimately will take alot more of your time and effort to run, and be less secure then going for a fully managed service.

IF they are recommending you to go to a $70 plan, then your site must be really chewing through the resources. Often, having large databases can be the cause of your site using too many resources. If you pay someone to go over your site, and optimize it, it might reduce your sites hosting costs, which over a 1 year period can make a large difference.

Also, take a look into cloudflare (or other CDN), this works with your hosting platform, and can reduce the amount of requests that your hosting provider has to serve, which can reduce your server load.

matt_62, Nov 5, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  4. KewL

KewL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should get a VPS where you get a dedicated amount of resources. It sounds like your getting some serious traffic, you probably should move up from shared hosting. If you have a credit card, amazon web services will give you A FREE YEAR trial (they give you a basic vps, cdn, all kinds of shit). I have a 20$ plan on linode.com, they have 10$ ones too.

KewL, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  5. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are using Wordpress or another bloated script, 3,000 visitors per day is approaching the upper limits of what one can reasonably expect shared hosting to provide. If one wants to reduce resource consumption while using Wordpress, they should look at using a Wordpress caching plugin. Then you could stay on shared hosting a bit longer before hitting resource limits.

If you have 3,000 visitors per month, you should be making money doing something. Unless your content is in violation of some rules or something. You can find an unmanged VPS for $10 - $20 a month. If you have no experience managing a server, I suggest you go with a managed VPS. A good managed VPS can be found starting at $20 (United States dollars) per month. I suggest you go with a 2-core VPS and at least 2 GB of RAM. You can get those starting at $30 a month--with cPanel/WHM. So you have cPanel/WHM to do the software updating for you and if you run into any problems, you can contact support to manage the VPS for you.

So if your host is kicking you off shared hosting, you can find a better price than $69 if you shop around.

billzo, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  6. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    I certainly feel that you have a free plugin that is overloading the Shared server. Normally, Shared servers are quite high configuration servers and if with 3000 daily visitors you are overloading a Shared server, the VPS won't be able to handle the website as well. You should ask SiteGround to track the the processes of your website using strace which will show the files each process is accessing. It is how you can locate the exact script that is accessed frequently OR with each access to your page and can take necessary action.

madaboutlinux, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  7. Nina Rose

Nina Rose Active Member

Best Answers:
    I got 25-30K unique user a day, please suggest me what kind of server should i use.
    day by day my traffic also growing, and i am getting server errors with my current hosting plan.
    suggest me best linux vps server.
    Thanks

Nina Rose, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  8. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best depends on how much you are willing to spend. A 2-core VPS with at least 2 GB or RAM should be able to accommodate that amount of traffic if it is spread out through the day. Otherwise, you can get a 4-core VPS and more RAM and you will be able to grow your site without worrying about your server not handling the traffic.

In the other thread, please respond with your current configuration.

billzo, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  9. Nina Rose

Nina Rose Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you Think i Should Move on Dedicated Server??? Its a Bit Costly, But i should run my site faster as it can be.

Thanks for your response.

10. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I do not think you need a dedicated server. I think a VPS should be enough for you now. You do not start with the most expensive thing. You start small then upgrade as you need to. You have a lot of traffic and you are on shared hosting. That really is more than shared hosting should be expected to handle.

billzo, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  11. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    A big VPS will surely help in this case, however, a VPS afterall is sharing the resources with other VPSes and with high traffic website with more to come in the near future a Dedicated server is what I would have opted. With higher traffic, the resource usage is bound to increase and your VPS may be a problem to others on the same host and your hosting company will force you to upgrade or to move to dedicated server. If you are sure of more traffic in the near future, I don't see any problem in investing a little higher now and to not to worry about the upgrade (and especially migration) in the future.

madaboutlinux, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  12. Nina Rose

Nina Rose Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think My Traffic is Growing Faster than i can imagine. My site age is around only Two Month. For Server problem my site was down Two days from 18-19 Nov. So i lost huge traffic too. Now its fine, need to move good server.

Here is my Traffic Report (Google Analytic) for last 2 days:
    http://imgur.com/a/oO1au#0

Thanks for your valuable information

13. prince@life

prince@life Notable Member

Best Answers:
    - I would suggest you to go for a HostoGator Shared hosting. I am getting daily 10,000 visits (Average) on my one of the WordPress blog. It's capable to handle such a huge load. Beyond that (Maybe on daily 50,000+ visits) they will ask you to switch to VPS.
    - In their (HostGator) own terms, They will force you to move on VPS, only if you use more CPU resources or a concurrent processes at the time.

prince@life, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  14. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    @prince@life: didnt mean to offend you but I feel if the current provider is not allowing her website on a shared server, HostGator too will ask her to move from the shared server sooner or later. Also the resource usage of 2 websites depends on what is actually hosted on the sites (scripts, queries, 3rd party plugins, themes etc) though the number of visitors are same.

madaboutlinux, Nov 24, 2014 IP
  15. prince@life

prince@life Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, according to my personal use of Hostgator. Probably I can say that their shared hosting "Baby Plan" is enough to handle 2 websites. We just need to make sure that all sites has correct configuration of WordPress, so it won't mess up the server with unwanted concurrent process. Having a personal experience, In my another account (Hostgator Baby Plan), There is 15+ sites are hosted! 7 are dynamic and rest ones are static. 3 dynamic sites has heavy traffic (almost daily combined 20k+ ). Basic useful plugins were installed as well and still everything runs up smoothly!

prince@life, Nov 24, 2014 IP