1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MIA for 9 Years. How to Get Back Into HTML/CSS/PHP?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Jason S, Oct 10, 2014.

I taught myself HTML, CSS, and PHP about 15 years ago and did a bit of web development work for some time until I stopped 9 years ago. Now, I am considering picking it back up as a hobby. Because I never learned formally, I probably missed some of the basics back then while charging ahead with intermediate programming. I also have no idea what has changed in the interim. How do you recommend I get up to speed again on HTML/CSS/PHP and perhaps Javascript? What is the best way to learn or relearn in a non-formal environment? What will be my best resources?

Thank you.

Jason S, Oct 10, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Think of a fun project you want to work on - design it up and go from there.

I'm hoping you've been on the web over that time so you know how modern sites look and work from a user's perspective.

Oh, yeah, and everything has changed, pretty much. Some things are easier, most are more complicated but it's all accessible. You'll have fun.

sarahk, Oct 10, 2014 IP
  3. seductiveapps.com

seductiveapps.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    php.net and w3schools.com :) i'm an experienced javascript coder now, having used the web languages for over 10 years straight, but i still use those 2 sites regularly :)

googling tends to help too - google searches for programming problems are easy too.. something like "php strpos" or "html div overflow hidden" will get you good results.

good luck :)

seductiveapps.com, Oct 25, 2014 IP
  4. deli6z

deli6z Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the best way is just start coding your project, as you get deeper you may encounter some difficulties - then you can just seek for the answer on stackoverflow or similar Q&A resources.

deli6z, Oct 26, 2014 IP
  5. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just learn everything on CodeCademy - it makes it easy, its free, and it shows you how to actually create things while learning to code. If you have learned it before then you will catch on quick and probably find it very easy. Good luck!

cronik, Oct 26, 2014 IP
  6. aldrik

aldrik Active Member

Best Answers:
    2nd to w3schools.com. I even download the whole websites so I can read it offline :D

aldrik, Oct 27, 2014 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously? How can anyone recommend w3schools? Their examples are mostly shoddy, they're still perpetuating old-style coding (nothing wrong with that per se, but it was just a couple years ago they went away from mysql_ in all their examples (it's still there in some places)).
    W3schools are not really good - they're fine for quick code-lookups, say for instance if you don't remember a certain attribute for an HTML-tag, but if you're looking for proper examples and instructions for PHP-language functions, just go to php.net.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 29, 2014 IP
    deathshadow and sarahk like this.
  8. member8200

member8200 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, there are alot of resources now where you can learn web development. you can try from this online course tutorials

http://www.codecademy.com/
    http://www.w3schools.com/

i learned from this online courses and it's really great specially for beginners.

Hope this helps. Best of luck mate.

member8200, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  9. Shapiro

Shapiro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think most effective way of learning today it's video courses like lynda.com and others. You can always watch only things that you need. But books important too. Good books helping to structure information in your head and video courses give better example and easier to learn from.

Shapiro, Nov 19, 2014 IP