1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google stop pagerank? Google: We Won't Be Updating Toolbar PageRank

Discussion in 'Google' started by goldmon, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nope. They said that TOOLBAR PR was not a ranking factor. Google still use it internally and still update it every day/

Agent000, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  2. Preston Pierce

Preston Pierce Member

Best Answers:
    http://blog.woorank.com/2013/04/what-is-a-pagerank-and-how-important-is-it-in-2013/
    This is the post i am referring to.

Preston Pierce, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  3. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think DA is more accurate than PR.
    MOZRank may also be good, but let's not forget about citation flow and trust flow. And there are others as well.

I usually use a combination of MOZ Toolbar indicators (DA, PA, backlinks...) and the ones in the Alexa Toolbar (Alexa Rank, sites linking in, site loading speed).

Mr.Dog, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  4. Preston Pierce

Preston Pierce Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. We should look at websites domain and page authority. That's what I was trying to say. Just because a website has a high it doesn't necessarily means it is a good website to earn a backlink from. I think there is also a factor of OBL (outbound links).

Preston Pierce, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  5. Mark A.

Mark A. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I wrote a book in 2011 and pointed out in that that PR was going the way of the Dodo. Google back then basically told everyone that they were looking more towards social media likes eg Google+ type format. The trouble is with that format not everyone has Google+ and a lot of people do not like it.

Mark A., Oct 21, 2014 IP
  6. expertofexperts

expertofexperts Active Member

Best Answers:
    So it means they have taken away the importance they were giving to PR. As no updates means Google is almost not considering incoming and outgoing links?? I doubt when they will next kick away considering quality contents which they brought in Panda or Penguin :D

expertofexperts, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  7. mdhuamitha.mahesh

mdhuamitha.mahesh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Its a very good news for all webmasters. We can more focus on SERP.

mdhuamitha.mahesh, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  8. Mark A.

Mark A. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The PR was going to die as a result for taking away link authority. If Google are turning off backlinks as a way to show if a website is an authoritative site then PR had to go as well due to it being part of the original calculation used to rank websites in the beginning. PR, RIP!

Mark A., Oct 22, 2014 IP
  9. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Do you ever fact check before posting? (or even use the search function here at DP to see how many threads there are on this already?)

PR is still an important part of the ranking algorithm. It is still updated every day by Google just like they have done since 2005 and factored into the ranking algorithm every day.

All that has happened:
    1. They have not exported that PR value to the tool bar in a very long time
    2. One Google staff member has said they probably won't be exporting it again - that is far from an official announcement and one other staff member said that just before the last export.

Agent000, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  10. Mark A.

Mark A. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Agent000
    Here is Matt Cutts saying it will be phased out back in 2013.

I know he can say a lot of things that are misleading but this is one that has been coming for a while.

Mark A., Oct 22, 2014 IP
  11. Mark A.

Mark A. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sorry I wanted to point out also in the video if you pay attention he even states that Google Chrome does not even have a PageRank display system and one is not available. So Google develop their own product not to display their own information. Seems some what strange that they would do that if they were going to carry on collecting information and making it available to others such as us.

Mark A., Oct 22, 2014 IP
  12. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Of course; he is ONLY talking about the export of the data to toolbar ... he is not talking about the daily update of PR that Google do internally every day and factor that into the ranking algorithm every day!

13. Mark A.

Mark A. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    But he clearly says that as less browsers use PR they will get to a point that they will stop collecting and distributing the information because of time and revenue to do it. We seem to be in them times. Can I ask you then, if you were to buy an aged domain would you be satisfied as to the condition of the PR if you knew that the domain was legitimate? I would not buy a domain on PR any more and have not done so for several years because you can not rely on the PR any more. Matt Cutts talked about the move away from PR back in 2011. I will see if I can find a link for you. In it he talks about how social media will give a greater pointer as to the legitimacy of any website and content. This is like they did with the universal search that was implemented some years ago and pointed to YouTube (video content) that most people missed in SEO way back.

Mark A., Oct 22, 2014 IP
  14. Agent000

Best Answers:
    You really are quite clueless about this. Matt Cutts was talking about TOOLBAR PR!!! NOT the internal PR that Google uses. The toolbar PR is an historical snapshot useless export of the internal value that they still use and still update every day. It is that export of that internal PR data that he was talking about and it is just that, that one staff member has said they will probably not export again.

15. Mark A.

Mark A. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    SO as I am clueless and you are obviously more in tune with what Google are doing can you answer me this. PR is based on the amount of links to your website correct? So backlinks in Google's eyes used to mean trust correct? Now it seems that Google have said publically that backlinks are bad as too many people are doing them spammy and you can buy them etc so they are downgrading them if mot moving away from them all together correct? See Matt Cutts own blog and search for backlinks and you will find his view and Googles view on it.
    So we have established that Googles does PR by the amount of backlinks to the site as a recognition of trust, correct? Oh yeas this is Googles own words on it; https://support.google.com/toolbar/answer/79837?hl=en
    So now if Google are on the war path against backlinks and are now not giving them the weight they used to have would that not affect the PR that a website would have?
    So it is permissible to argue that as Google is down ranking backlinks, that PR is out of the window as well because it is based on backlinks.

Mark A., Oct 22, 2014 IP
  16. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I myself am not a fan of Google+ and Twitter either.

I think Google is not using the same PageRank system internally - as the one they are showing us.
    My guess is what they were showing us the last few years was rather baloney. They have a more sophisticated system in place (just for them).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
    Mr.Dog, Oct 23, 2014 IP
  17. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I want an answer to below questions:

So will people stop buying pagerank domains now on?
    What about the sellers like me who business is selling Pagerank Domains?

Card, Oct 26, 2014 IP
    Postedhere likes this.
  18. Mark A.

Mark A. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say any one purchasing aged domains that are professional internet marketers are not buying aged domains any more on PR. There is a whole lot more information they should be looking at and researching to make sure the information is accurate.
    I personally purchase aged domains I am more interested in CF and TF than PR as it gives a better feel as to the health of the domain. As I said above there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration too.

Mark A., Oct 26, 2014 IP
  19. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    No-one will care about PR anymore, it's dead. Focus on DA, PA, link profile, SEO metrics, Facebook fans etc.

In a way I'm welcoming this, because many new sites have faced major difficulties in reaching a decent PR.

Mr.Dog, Oct 26, 2014 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Your business doesn't change - valuable domains will remain valuable. You just need to adopt a different way to advertise their value.

sarahk, Oct 26, 2014 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.