1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain name troubles.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Sylinic, Oct 16, 2014.

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a jam.

I signed up my domain name "Sylinic.com" with Hostsvault and had hosting with them for a year, then switched my hosting to Greengeeks and when I tried to contact Hostsvault for the EPP – Domain authorization code and to unlock the domain so Greengeeks could transfer it, the guy put my E-mail on his block list, and now the website is offline.

It expires in November, and I keep getting E-mails from DNSwelcome to pay for the registration, if it doesn't get registered, will they just drop it and it will be available to pick up from Greengeeks? I can't imagine it's a very sought after domain.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Sylinic, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There may be better options that others are aware of, but some domain name registrars will let you automatically buy or at least alert you to the option when the url becomes available. Of course, if you know the exact date that it expires, you also could just go and try to grab it again.

jrbiz, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Call in your lawyers - this kind of unethical behaviour is why hosting and domain management should be separate.

sarahk, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  4. Sylinic

Sylinic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks jrbiz, I do know the exact date, November 17th, but I didn't know if it went in limbo for a certain amount of time or if it would be available day of expiration to re-up with GreenGeeks, hopefully that's the case.

Hey Sarah, I couldn't agree more, it's bizarre and infuriating that they are lumped together like this, this is such a hassle for me. Honestly it's not worth paying a lawyer, if I have to I could just grab the domain "sylinic-creative.com", but it still doesn't make this right. The registrar the guy from Hostsvault used was
    publicdomainregistry.com, and of course they say to contact the company you signed up with and they can't help. Also thanks for the reply.

I just hope Jrbiz is right and the domain just gets dropped back into the pool of available domains immediately after it expires.

Sylinic, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  5. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you registered domain with Hostsvault and if you got domain privacy rights on registration their is more chance you can have it again (act soon before expiry date though) and if Hostsvault did registration legally "whois" you may know...the organization who keep all records of domains resellers and owners,,) contact them and submit your problem,,they might can help you, if one guy did block you but the reseller Hostsvault need to respond you ,,hope help you bit..good luck

CYCchips, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  6. Sylinic

Sylinic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey CYCchips, thanks for the reply, I can contact whois.net for help? I was wondering if there was a centralized authority that took care of situations like this, it's starting to feel like the wild west, haha.

Sylinic, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly do not know how long it may take a domain to get back into circulation. GoDaddy has a Backorder service (have never used it myself) but it seems like they will put it out to auction for anyone who has backordered it. As you said, it is not clear that anyone else will really want this domain, anyway, so this may be an option for you:

https://www.godaddy.com/domainaddon/domain-backorders.aspx

jrbiz, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  8. Sylinic

Sylinic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Jrbiz, I think I'll just pick up the "sylinic-creative.com" domain, I want nothing to do with this guy anymore and I refuse to give him any more money.

See, it says days to expire is 28 days, and deletion in 64, so it probably will sit in limbo for 36 days where I can't use it.
    DNS.jpg

Thanks for the help though, I think this is the only way to go.

Sylinic, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that you are right. It can be more of a distraction than anything else at this point. Good luck.

jrbiz, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  10. gotlivechat

gotlivechat Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like Hostsvault is just a reseller for PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM -- as that's where I show your domain is held. Try contacting them direct about getting those transfer codes.

gotlivechat, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  11. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    i m so feel bad about loosing a domain i always dream about,,if me i will give a shot to take it back as you said second option domain looks ok But its up to you budd good luck with that

CYCchips, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  12. Sylinic

Sylinic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm going to try contacting publicdomainregistry, maybe they can work with me with this problem, if not I'll just grab the other domain, and renew my original domain once the deletion date comes. I agree I don't like www. sylinic-creative. com as much as www. sylinic. com, but worst case it'll only be for about 36 days, and really the second domain is more accurate for my business, just don't like the the hyphen. Well worth it not giving that crook any more money.

Sylinic, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

jrbiz, Oct 23, 2014 IP