1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Always Allow your Subscribers to Opt Out

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Ethan Alvin, Oct 17, 2014.

Are you jaded about the numerous emails you receive from Internet Marketers everyday?

After receiving innumerable emails telling you that you’ve made $2,013.77 worth of commissions, you decide that enough is enough.
    “This guy isn’t providing me with value. He’s just spamming me with affiliate links.”

You ignore the email content and scroll up & down looking for the “Unsubscribe” button.
    As you scroll down, you notice that there is a HUGE chunk of empty space before you reach the link to opt out.

You become irate.
    “This is ridiculous.”

Genuine marketers are confident & ethical. They believe in the value that they’re providing.
    They allow their subscribers to unsubscribe easily (e.g. allowing them to do so right at the top of the email) because they are confident that it’s the subscribers’ loss to unsubscribe.

They only want the right kind of subscribers.

You are freed from the shackles of spam emails now.

But wait…

You see a familiar name in your inbox the next day (e.g. Kimball Roundy – the guy behind the infamous 5 Minute Mogul). Oops

“Didn’t I Opt Out?!”

Truth is that there are plenty of scripts available online to arbitrarily put you on multiple mailing lists when you first opt-in without your permission.
    You’ll never be able to opt out from these hidden lists.

I’ve seen the following message at least 10 times now (after trying opting out of Kimball Roundy’s mailing list):
    [​IMG]

This clearly screams a message:
    “I don’t really care about you. I’ll just keep sending you emails in hope that you’ll buy my product (give me money) one day.”

True digital marketers define their target audience clearly and do not bait every single person to be on their mailing list. They do not beat the air or try to trap their subscribers to remain on their mailing lists.

That’s both despicable & desperate.

Let’s do digital marketing right.

Make sure you include an “Unsubscribe” option in your emails & honor the opt-outs.

My 2 cents.
    Alvin

Source: http://marketingwithalvin.com/always-allow-your-subscribers-to-opt-out/

Ethan Alvin, Oct 17, 2014 IP
    Randall Magwood likes this.
  2. Slincon

Slincon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's actually the law now in many countries - USA, UK & Canada all have laws that state that you must have an unsubscribe link.

When I find an email that doesn't have an unsubscribe, I just flag it as spam and have it go to my spam box. If you wanted to escalate further you could find the isp or host and report it to them.

Slincon, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  3. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Couldn't agree more. Sick of marketers trapping subscribers.

Ethan Alvin, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  4. John Pagulayan

John Pagulayan Member

Best Answers:
    This is just plain sickening. It's what give us marketers a bad name.

Anyhoo, as far as letting them opt out...I go the extra mile to tell them that they have the option to unsubscribe in case they don't like what I send them.

Keeps your list fresh as a daisy. =)

John Pagulayan, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  5. rbates

rbates Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think that most people will agree with allowing people to REALLY opt-out,
    and not remain on other lists.

Sometimes if you buy two different products from the same person (or entity),
    you will be on two different lists as these are two separate offers. I do agree,
    and it also sends flames out of my ears, that when you opt out, you should
    be off of their list(s) completely. There are some email services that list
    all of the lists that you are on, and you have the option of unsubscribing to
    any or all of them. I think that all email services should adhere to that standard!

rbates, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  6. cheeta.admin

cheeta.admin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think its true and imp subscribers have rights to subscribe or unsubscribe, we cant force them to do what we want.

cheeta.admin, Oct 26, 2014 IP
  7. agmccall

agmccall Active Member

Best Answers:
    just start reporting them as spam

al

agmccall, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  8. Randall Magwood

Randall Magwood Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alvin you hit it on the nose. I hate it when marketers *hide* their unsubscribe link under tons and tons of empty space within the email.

Look it's easy. Your leads want what you have to offer, and if they like your content. Don't try to trick your readers. Provide great content for the few that love your info, and that buy from you the most.

Randall Magwood, Nov 6, 2014 IP
    Ethan Alvin likes this.