1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to place the Google verification meta tag in WordPress

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by exoticpublishing, Oct 18, 2014.

Hi,

So I'm having an issue with getting 2 sites verified to put on GWTs.

It says to put it on the index page in header tags before the body which I tried to do in between header tags, but there are no header or body tags on my index page.

Copy the meta tag below, and paste it into your site's home page. It should go in the <head> section, before the first <body> section.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Michelle

exoticpublishing, Oct 18, 2014 IP
  2. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The one thing I do is click on the "alternative methods" at Google Webmaster site by uploading the html file to the index of your site using FTP. It is a small file that google gives you which looks like this: google-site-verification: google14de53225ej5kd3.html.
    It is the fastest way in my book.

Edit: There seem to be a WP (if your using WP) plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-site-verification-using-meta-tag/ I've yet to try it out.

wwws, Oct 19, 2014 IP
  3. exoticpublishing

exoticpublishing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Well after trying for almost 30 minutes to do what you said, FINALLY it worked. Geeze. What a PITA. Google doesn't even tell you which directory it's supposed to go into. Very poor instructions IMO, but if course when you are a billion dollar company, why do you need to make instructions clear by hiring proficient staff?

exoticpublishing, Oct 19, 2014 IP
  4. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the answer to this would have been quite simple, you had to go to your wordpress theme folder, and find the theme you were currently using (via FTP) and find a file called header.tpl, edit that and add the meta tag where all the other meta tags were located, save the file and that was it.

Shagoon, Oct 19, 2014 IP
  5. exoticpublishing

exoticpublishing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's not simple IMO as I know nothing about themes other then when I have to pick which one I like & then buy it.

And that's not what my hosting company said. I put it in public_html which I vaguely remember doing years ago when I had to do it myself.

It ended up working FINALLY, but it took a few tries.

exoticpublishing, Oct 19, 2014 IP
  6. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you check WP files you wont find any .tpl extensions as they are .php.

wwws, Oct 19, 2014 IP
  7. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought of that too, I think it has a lot to do with it's employees not in-touch. WP is one of the most used flat form for creating a website and yet the staff at Google should have known that it's quite difficult to implement the instruction they just gave. Notice the instruction will send a link to your "webmaster" as if most have one (lmao!!!). Glad it worked out for you.

wwws, Oct 19, 2014 IP