1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

w*kiHow has shutdown my vps

Discussion in 'General Business' started by BreezeTR, Oct 12, 2014.

I have a website that is ****w*kihow.com, and they send a mail to my vps firm and told that wikihow.com is a trademark so they cannot use this domain. do they have a right for this without a court decision?

I'm *** ******, VP Operations at ****. It has come to my attention that a site you host, ********.com, is infringing upon w*kiHow's trademarks. "w*kiHow" is a registered word mark of w*kiHow, Inc. (USPTO reg. no. 3*84753), and may not be used by other entities in conjunction with online services providing instructional materials.

The website ****w*kihow.com is in violation of both your acceptable use policy and US and international law, and I request that you remove it from public access.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can provide further information. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

BreezeTR, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  2. jeffreyhuan

jeffreyhuan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, they can do that.

That's why it is always recommended to avoid from domain names with trademarks inside.

jeffreyhuan, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  3. thuthuatwordpress

thuthuatwordpress Active Member

Best Answers:
    If that's your vps term final decision, you need to ask the domain name provider about this issue, if the Domain firm also does not allow to use this domain anymore, the only way for this case is buying a new domain +setup the same website while keeping the old domain to setup a 301 rediection to new domain (evrything like the number of social network shares, the search engine position,...)

This method would help you transfer all the ranking factor from the old to the new domain name. Within 6 months to 1 year, all the transfer complete, then you donot need to maintain the old domain.

thuthuatwordpress, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  4. trustybizz

trustybizz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is why smart people don't buy domains or sites sold which have domain names like wordpressxxxxx.com or joomlaxxxxx.com or googlexxxxxx.com or any such trademark infringing domain or name. People sometimes think they will get huge amount because their domain is wordpressthemes.com but when wordpress wants, they can shut it down in an hour because "wordpress" is a copyrighted trademark and cannot be used by third parties, thus smarter people use "WP" which is allowed.

Most of the times these companies or entities do not exercise their right and do not shut down small unknown websites, but if you are investing time and money into a site and plan to make it big, it is a bad idea to use an copyright infringing domain or name or graphics or content.

trustybizz, Jan 20, 2015 IP