1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone seen any change in rankings after switching to SSL?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by qwikad.com, Sep 29, 2014.

I just got an offer from my hosting provider to switch to SSL. I know there were a lot of buzz that supposedly Google will be ranking SSL sites higher.

Practically speaking, has anyone seen any changes after switching to SSL? Not in theory, but for real?

Solved! View solution.
    qwikad.com, Sep 29, 2014 IP
  2. hungmike86

hungmike86 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i dont' think ssl will help ranking

hungmike86, Sep 30, 2014 IP
    I haven't seen any changes and I'm not surprised. Immediately Google announced that SSL might affect rankings, I knew it wouldn't affect rankings to a noticeable degree (if at all) since they had already announced it and it was so simple to implement.

In my opinion, if a ranking factor will affect Google rankings significantly, Google won't announce it publicly. They will do their utmost to protect it from leaking out to anyone that might have an interest in ranking sites in Google for profit. Some bloggers have also concluded that SSL doesn't boost rankings even before Google announced that it's now a ranking factor.

Seo Power, Sep 30, 2014 IP
    qwikad.com and seo_buzz like this.
  4. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SSL won't help you according to me... Such certificate is used by websites that offer online payments (like PayPal!) or any information that is secured...

patco, Oct 1, 2014 IP
  5. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google won't give it away that easy. It is just a ranking signal, and I believe backlinks from relevant, high PR and domain authority sites are more likely to boost a site PR than https/ssl alone. Someone once told me that if it is that easy then it will just have minimal effect. Make sense, right?

Patricia Ann Lee, Oct 1, 2014 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, so I'm definitely not the crazy one when I tried to explain to sooo many people that just because Google announced HTTPs as a ranking factor doesn't mean that all should jump and get their own SSL certificates. Of course the results are insignificant, how powerful can 1/200+ be? Now, I did get some feedbacks from local websites getting a more significant change but we all know that local SEO can experience much sharper up and downs. Apart from that its the expected little to no results.

Adding even more to that, in a recent Hangout, John Mueller from Google himself explained that the new SSL owners should not expect any significant change and HTTPs is quite a weak ranking factor.

Rado_ch, Oct 2, 2014 IP
  7. maddenitrous

maddenitrous Member

Best Answers:
    People should not expect just to change their URL to https and expect the ranking to change, it is just one factor of the many other factors to be implemented.

maddenitrous, Oct 2, 2014 IP
  8. C_Tavares

C_Tavares Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google stated that sites shouldn't expect a increase in certain search queries as the ranking factor for SSL certificates is quite low, as they want to give time for webmasters to implement it.

C_Tavares, Oct 2, 2014 IP
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    OK then. I hear a consensus here. Kind of what I thought the deal was. Thanks everyone for the replies.

qwikad.com, Oct 2, 2014 IP
  10. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly speaking, not yet. Have tested over 10 domains with SSL and the rankings remain the same.

rankwatch.com, Oct 6, 2014 IP
  11. chicon

chicon Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed with some of the previous comments. No change, but it did make us think about the sites that should have it for business reasons.

chicon, Oct 6, 2014 IP
  12. xhtmlchamps

xhtmlchamps Active Member

Best Answers:
    I read post of Google Webmasters Blog post as HTTPS as a ranking signal at http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.in/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html

xhtmlchamps, Oct 9, 2014 IP
  13. PascM

PascM Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If your website stores no user data then SSL won't do anything to your ranking.
    Some of my sites which store user data have seen a slight improvement after switching to SSL while the ones that don't I've seen no change.

PascM, Oct 11, 2014 IP
  14. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think this depends on the nature of your site.
    As said above, Google has confirmed that it is now a signal it monitors, but a weak one, and it's likely to be more relevant to retailers than a blog.
    We have been looking at the placement of clients and their competition in Google results, and while it's hard to be certain of the reasons (there might be another ten factors to consider) there is no doubt that when looking for a product or retailer, those appearing in the first page increasingly seem to have SSL.

All anyone can say is that it certainly won't do you any harm to implement this now, if you can afford to do so.

Conran, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  15. PascM

PascM Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Money wise SSL's do not cost much those days, problem comes to dedicated IP's if you don't want to use SNI (modern Linux OS support that).

As we all know IPv4 are close to end, and older browsers or Windows version etc do not support that feature.

PascM, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  16. Get Searched

Get Searched Member

Best Answers:
    It's such a minute difference that you'll hardly notice it in rankings.

Yes Google announced using SSL will be apart of there algorithm but trust me it makes such a small difference it's almost irrelevant where or not you choose to use SSL.

Get Searched, Oct 12, 2014 IP