1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Static html/css/javascript front end connected to WordPress

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Pepitu, Sep 25, 2014.

Hello!

I heard of an option to build websites by creating a static html/css/javascript front end and connecting that to a WordPress admin side or even an excel spreadsheet where the admin add content.

I think this would be amazing but I don't know anything about it yet. I first thought it was something new from WordPress 4.0, but I don't even think it's related to 4.0 because I heard that can be done even with Drupal admin.

So essentially you log in and put the content in Drupal or WordPress but the front end is not a Drupal or WordPress theme. It's just a static site in which the content is fed.

Does anybody knows something about this? Any place to look for where they talk about it or explain it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Pepitu, Sep 25, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a static page if it fetches dynamic content, regardless of where it fetches it from. Why do you want this, btw? Why not just make a template file in Wordpress?

PoPSiCLe, Sep 25, 2014 IP
  3. nitsanbn

nitsanbn Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have two options in hand:
    1. modify Wordpress (mainly the template) to suits your needs (static page/whatever) - this is very simple and can provide great results
    2. create your own custom static page and link it with wordpress on your own - linking can be done in some ways.

Methods of linking wordpress & external website:
    1. xmlrpc - wordpress has an external API which is called xmlrpc. it can be reached using HTTP requests to this url: http://www.domain.com/wordpress/xmlrpc.php
    The requests has a specific format which is noted on wordpress' website. You can retrieve any kind of information.
    I think this option is disabled by default (for security reasons) and can be turned on at the admin pannel.
    The main cons of this method is that everything should be done using a requests - sometimes it's not allowed to send HTTP requests to the local server, sometimes it's just slower to do it while processing the page on the backend of the server..

2. direct connection to the database - you can connect to wordpress' database directly using your CGI code (PHP?) and access all the data. This should be done extremely careful because that you probably do not master wordpress' database design scheme and you can break it easily (try not to do update/insert/drop queries and you will be safe). this can be done really quick and simple, but browsing the data may be a little difficult.

There may be other ways to do it, but there are the ones which I have been dealt with before.

Good luck!

nitsanbn, Oct 6, 2014 IP