1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GameSiteScript 4.0

Discussion in 'General Business' started by johno123, Oct 5, 2014.

I bought a website some time ago and it came with free hosting for 2 years. I want to move it to my own hosting just in-case anything ever happened with the current host. But I am running into troubles.

I have a backup of database, site files, and I believe any config files have been edited correctly. I unfortunately do not have the original untouched script of gamesitescript 4. The seller is not responding to emails anymore. Im a afraid one day it just wont work anymore.

The site is on its domain and working, and I want to move to the new hosting but didn't want the site to be down, while I tested the install. I have it setup on a different domain just to make sure it works first before I point the domain at it. But I am getting weird sql errors. Not sure what to do.

DO you think I am having these issues with testing the site on a dif domain? Maybe is to do with a licensing policy? Meaning the site will only work on the domain chosen when script was originally purchased and setup. ?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks so much

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Can you post one of the sql errors?

sarahk, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  3. johno123

johno123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/sitename.com/cfg.php on line 96

Deprecated: mysql_escape_string(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_real_escape_string() instead. in /home/user/public_html/sitename.com/plugins/functions.php on line 56

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That one is easy. The database handler for gamesitescript 4 is using mysql_ commands to access the database. mysql_ has been phased out as it is insecure and more up to date systems use PDO or mysqli_.

The server that the site is currently on is running a version of PHP that is <5.5
    Your server is more up to date.

that's good news and bad news.

On the plus side
    • the site will still run and you can hide the errors. Just don't upgrade your server or it may stop running altogether. You've bought some time...
    • the license you have may allow for upgrades - if you can find the original provider.
    • the site may use a good database handler and you may be able to simply upload the new one, change the file pointer in the config or dbconfig file and you're done.
    On the minus side
    • the script may not use a database handler at all and the mysql_ calls are scattered through the script. If that's the case then you may be better off cutting your losses and finding an alternative script and starting over.
    • after moving to your new hosting the server may be upgraded without notification and one day it will simply stop. I guarantee that it'll be at the most inconvenient moment :)

sarahk, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  5. johno123

Best Answers:
    not sure how to proceed with your fix. And at the same time I was thinking of using another website script instead of this outdated one. I do not need the hassles of site going down randomly if my hosting upgrades my server on me.

What if I wanted to use say wordpress, instead of the current one. What would happen with the links that are all indexed in search engines that lead to the site now?

I don't want to loose the traffic I get right now.. It has taken a lot to get where I am..

Any Thoughts?

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There are plugins to catch requests and pass them to the appropriate new page. I haven't used any but have a look on wordpress.org

sarahk, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  7. johno123

Best Answers:
    Really... Wow that sounds like it may work for changing the site over to a new script... I tried commenting out the errors.. It cleared them away.. But the games disappeared from main page and categories.. I guess it commented them out as well.. What now?

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  8. johno123

Best Answers:
    So frustrated...

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    don't comment them out, just mess about with error_reporting
    error_reporting(E_ALL);
    Code (markup):

sarahk, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  10. johno123

Best Answers:
    Where do I find to do that

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Oct 5, 2014 IP
    johno123 likes this.
  12. johno123

Best Answers:
    1. error_reporting(E_ALL);
    So just paste the above into index.php?

I so appreciate your help

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  13. johno123

Best Answers:
    <?php
    error_reporting(E_ALL); ini_set("display_errors", 1);
    include("file_with_errors.php"); ?>

I just popped that to the top of index.php and changed from 1 to 0 and poof it works. I am so very thankful

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  14. johno123

Best Answers:
    I guess I spoke to soon... I can't get into admin part of the site.. Doesn't accept my credentials.. What now... It doesn't say wrong password.. Just goes to internal server error...

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  15. johno123

Best Answers:
    Well I edited the htaccess file to reflect correct domain info and now it doesn't go to internal error anymore but does not accept my credentials... What to do.. Maybe in the SQL database settings I can make new logins?

johno123, Oct 5, 2014 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Maybe

I'd create a new normal user and then look at the database and change the new one's user privs to match your old login

That or you've just discovered where they've locked it down to the domain.

sarahk, Oct 6, 2014 IP
  17. johno123

Best Answers:
    Yeah good plan.. Hope the lock down is not correct though.. I guess will be fine though... As I am planning to point the actual domain here on my host.

How to create a new user in phpmyadmin... Let's give this a try.

johno123, Oct 6, 2014 IP
  18. johno123

Best Answers:
    nope... no go... when I login it says you are now logged in but just brings me to the login screen again.. with both user names admin and new one.

what is goin on.. seems maybe a htaccess issue, redirecting back to the wrong page?

johno123, Oct 6, 2014 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Maybe, hard to say without digging about. maybe setting cookies based on the registered domain and not the one you are using?

sarahk, Oct 6, 2014 IP
    johno123 likes this.
  20. johno123

Best Answers:
    hmmm, I guess I will do a search of the script files to see if I have maybe missed replacing a domain name somewhere. I will try that.. then post my results. But I am going to bed now.. Will try again tomorrow.. Thanks for the help

johno123, Oct 6, 2014 IP