1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to control spam sign ups at my forum

Discussion in 'General Business' started by softech02, Sep 23, 2014.

I run forum which is given in my signature. The forum has started to receive visitors but most of them are spammers. They come to the site, sign up and leave their website name in signature. They are using my forum for creating angela paul links.

I want to stop these spammer and would be grateful if you anyone could suggest me something to tackle this problem.

Thanks in advance.
    Sam

softech02, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Strange you're asking this since you're a member of this forum. On this forum you can't have a signature unless you get 3 likes.

Don't allow a signature unless a member gets 3 likes or posts at least 20 posts or has been a member for at least 10 days.

qwikad.com, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  3. ThreeGuineaWatch

ThreeGuineaWatch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On myBB 1.8, go to Users & Groups -> Groups -> Users & permissions. You can set the number of posts required before sigs become active. You'll find many of them will be leaving links in their profiles too.

ThreeGuineaWatch, Sep 23, 2014 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  4. softech02

softech02 Banned

Best Answers:
    You didn't get my point. People with the help of software using my forum to build angela paul backlinks for their website. Angela paul backlinks are the links that come from profiles of the users. While sign up, I don't have any option to hide "Home page" field. So they sign up, put their website and it becomes a backlink for their website. The profile is visible for everyone without login.

Yes, I did install one plugin which allows me to restrict users from putting link in their signature. I have set the limit to 25. But here my concern is different. Have a look at one spam profile http://www.chatappforum.com/User-beemiabub
    Here you will see this person has put garbage link under "Home page" option and I am sure it has done using some software.

5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I see. Consider changing your current forum software to https://xenforo.com/

A lot of work, but if your current forum keeps growing, at the end, you will be glad you did.

qwikad.com, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  6. softech02

softech02 Banned

Best Answers:
    I am with low budget and want to stick to myBB as yet.
    Now, the other problem has arose. The spammers are signing up and posting garbage just to increase their post count. All the content they are posting is some other language and I guess it doesn't make any sense. Any idea how to control them apart form manual monitoring?

7. ЄxDeus™

ЄxDeus™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ЄxDeus™, Sep 23, 2014 IP
    softech02 likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    • Use Akismet to moderate the posts of new users
    • Put all new posts into manual moderation
    • Use a plugin to convert all profile page links to nofollow
    • Use robots.txt to stop search engines from indexing your profile pages
    The problems you describe are fairly normal for any forum - I'm sure you see plenty of spam here even though we work hard to get rid of it quickly.

sarahk, Sep 23, 2014 IP
    softech02 likes this.
  9. softech02

softech02 Banned

Best Answers:
    Exdeus and Sarah,

Thanks for the help. I will try the methods you suggested.

Thanks
    Sam

10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    10 years ago I launched a social networking site. Once it started to gain popularity I had spammers writing custom scripts to join my site and send mass email. I implemented a captcha system and they found other ways to spam on the site.

I also had another social site which only had a few thousand members and somehow Nigerian scammers found that site and started to spam. Anyway...moral of the story these inbreds will do anything to spam on your site. Usually if they are exploiting a commonly used forum the smallest change can stop their scripts but if they are custom writing code just for your site good luck...they will work just as hard to find a work around.

NetStar, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  11. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A little off the subject..... I chuckled at the theme of your site. It's a forum to talk about chat applications.... Not trying to be a dick here but how do you expect to retain members who can only conversate with others about the application they use to conversate with others on.. It almost seems to be a one stop forum

NetStar, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  12. softech02

softech02 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments but I have plans with it. Obviously I wouldn't disclose it in public.

Cheers
    Softech

softech02, Sep 24, 2014 IP
  13. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I bet......

NetStar, Sep 24, 2014 IP