1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Make backup to external server without writing it to the local disk?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by postcd, Sep 18, 2014.

Hello,

i want to ask if its doable to make backup of local files (tar.gz) without writing these backup files to local disk, but creating these archives right on remote backup server, i want to use tar, not rsync or similar.

What i found is sshfs which can mount remote folder as local folder, but the quesiton is if that tarring is done without writting on local disk if i set destination fodler that one i mounted by sshfs? or any other way to not write to local disk? thx

postcd, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  2. zacharooni

zacharooni Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not just pull data from the backup server?

zacharooni, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  3. frank007

frank007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I don't think it would be possible as while you are archiving files atleast tmp files would be created and that would be definitely on local system. So what you want is not doable.

frank007, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  4. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what about adding pipe and ssh after tar command like:
    or:
    tar still does need to write to local disk during its operation? is tar actually writing on source HDD if i select other HDD as a destination in tar command?

postcd, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  5. frank007

frank007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well even if you give final path as on remote disk till its overwritten there, it would create a temp file until complete operation. So if you are not concerned about that temp file then its ok, but that temp file would also take some space and I think you are concerned about it.

frank007, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  6. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thx, Im asking because source disk is SSD and it dont like too much writing.. so im not sure how large or how overwriten is this temp file you talk about? can i read somewhere more details about this tars temp file?

postcd, Sep 20, 2014 IP
  7. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why not use R1Soft Backups, they're very efficient and they don't write anything on the disk when they run.
    Basically after the first initial backup, every other backup ran after that compares the changes made on your disk (blocks) and saves only those to a remote server automatically... which means way less stress on your server every time the backups are ran cos it doesn't compile them all from scratch and it won't write anything on your SSD.

There are services out there that offer R1Soft License along with about 200GB backup space on their servers for just $8/month.

Shagoon, Oct 9, 2014 IP