1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Outdated Cert?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by deathshadow, Sep 14, 2014.

Having a problem connecting to the forums here in anything other than FF. In Opera, Chrome and even IE it's saying the site cert for HTTPS is out of date.

Here's what Opera 12 is saying:

But I get the similar messages in ChrOpera, Chrome and IE. Only FF seems to be letting me through to the site. I tried a couple other machines here on different OS, problem persists, only Gecko based browsers are letting me in.

deathshadow, Sep 14, 2014 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    All I can say this does not seem to be a universal problem. I am posting using Chrome, just logged on with Firefox and IE as a test and had no problems.

Smyrl, Sep 14, 2014 IP
  3. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm fine with Opera 23 and Chrome 134594

blueparukia, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I just tested on different machines, and it's random here as to where it's occurring. My primary laptop won't log in with FF but lets me in with "real Opera" (instead of the stupid malfing crippleware known as ChrOpera), my media center lets me in with Chrome but not IE... This is strange.

deathshadow, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  5. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Actually I just found it. In any browser where OCSP certification tests are turned on, this site fails. It's a security option that some versions of Adblock plus turns on, and is on by default in Opera 12-.

... and since I've been running ABP for about five years on the same browser installations...

6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We'll get it looked at. Thanks!

sarahk, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  7. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I dived a little deeper (if for no other reason than to learn more about certs), normally OCSP is checked, but if the server doesn't respond "in time" it's by default accepted as valid; the flag that's getting tripped that makes a difference is if the OCSP server does not respond in time, it's assumed invalid.

So it could be your OCSP server for the cert isn't responding "fast enough" or is overloaded -- that could block users that had configurations like what I had set up.

Though reading more on the topic, OCSP checks are pretty much pointless -- browser and security software makers went nutters turning stuff like this on after heartbleed, when in reality it did more harm than good.

Besides if "doesn't respond fast enough" means "accept it" as the DEFAULT behavior (in everything except Opera 12/lower) it's pretty much pointless for it to even exist IMHO... at least if I'm understanding what I'm reading about it.

This article:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/201...security-into-the-stuff-of-absurdist-theater/

Got me pointed the right direction on understanding it.

ViciousSummer likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Waaay over my head but we'll make sure the info is checked out.

sarahk, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the explanation @deathshadow . Makes sense to me :)

ViciousSummer, Sep 16, 2014 IP