1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling Showbats.com is on SALE

Discussion in 'Sites' started by webinsane, Sep 12, 2014.

I have no time to market this website. I will sell full open source code. Even if you don't want the actual site it is great piece of code. It collects data from IMDB automatically. All you have to do is to add the new show from control panel. We already added more than 300 shows. The idea is to register and pick your shows. Once picked you will receive notification of upcoming shows.

http://www.showbats.com/

I have a new job and no time to work on this anymore, but it works gracefully. Since it is new site visitor base is small. Less than hundred a day. It has great potential for true marketers.

webinsane, Sep 12, 2014 IP
  2. htuanads

htuanads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 4
    As Buyer:
    20.0% - 1
    Are you kidding us? The site has nothing and price is $10k?

htuanads, Sep 12, 2014 IP
    HorrorMovies likes this.
  3. HorrorMovies

HorrorMovies Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    69.2% - 9
    I am heavily into movies and TV niche, I would be interested in the domain... but I wouldn't even get over the $100 mark for the domain.

Making money from movies and TV shows (when dealing with legal sites, as I do) is very difficult these days with the likes of instant on demand services and very few good affiliate offers...

HorrorMovies, Sep 12, 2014 IP
  4. junedc

junedc Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    A website (or any other tangible item) is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The seller obviously thinks the site/code is worth $100. Oh did I miss a few zeroes :)

junedc, Sep 13, 2014 IP
  5. webinsane

webinsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks for the input. I already have offer, but it is way bellow starting bid. Keep your opinions to yourself if you are not sure what is invested in the code. The website can scrape/parse any content/html not just IMDB and it can be sold as parsing software which I plan to do if sale does not go through. I will eventually make this money with it.

webinsane, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  6. HorrorMovies

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    69.2% - 9
    Your trying to sell something on an open forum... If you don't want people's opinions then sell it privately.

When your trying to sell something no one cares how much effort you put into it, they care about the market value... The market value on a scraper these days is at best a few hundred dollars, because there is hundreds of open source solutions which the likes of facebook and twitter actually use and contribute towards - in other words they are considered the "best".

I have been in the movies niche for longer than I would like to admit and sites that scrape content never last long - its against the TOS of all these big sites (even my movies sites have it in the TOS). Your always better adding content manually, getting the rights to use posters, trailers etc.

Yep, you actually need to have the rights to use trailers and posters for movies... Usually small sites are OK, but as soon as you start making a bit of cash then you get hit with a fine for breaking copyright... I have seen a lot of blogs go under because they think it won't happen...

Have a search around DP and other forums you will more than likely find someone who has been sued by a movie blog for scraping.

HorrorMovies, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  7. webinsane

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If we take description down then it wont be TOS problem? The show images and times are available publicly. Our idea was to make show/series reminder so you don't miss a show. I don't care that much about actual content/description.

I like the site and I myself use it often to see whats new. The code itself is very nice as I said it can be used for other ideas.

webinsane, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  8. HorrorMovies

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    69.2% - 9
    If you use the image then your in breach of copyright unless you have access to a epk, which you wont if you are scraping from IMDB... Just be aware that this is what a buyer looks at, its exactly what I look at...

HorrorMovies, Sep 15, 2014 IP
  9. tradester

tradester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    +1 Correct correct
    Remember Myspace? Murdoch bought it for about $600 million at its peak and spends hundreds of millions to boost it but failed miserably. In total he must have spent at least 1 billion total. He eventually sold it for peanuts about $30 million. No one cared that he spent and lost $1 billion. The final buyer only paid about $30 million for what it was worth. Murdoch wanted just $100 million but still the buyer would only pay about $30 million

tradester, Sep 16, 2014 IP
  10. webinsane

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Ok. $30 million is ok by me :)

webinsane, Sep 18, 2014 IP