1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Contest My $250 contest has barely any entries. Why?

Discussion in 'Design Contests' started by Jay Turner, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Jay Turner

Jay Turner Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    THAT IS FOR THE LOGO

For the label I can gladly take a PSD raster photo

I am not worried about that because I will not be enlarging the label to be on a banner.

Jay Turner, Sep 7, 2014 IP
  2. massi1

massi1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    it's hard to draw a PSD raster.

massi1, Sep 7, 2014 IP
  3. Jay Turner

Jay Turner Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Okay maybe I don't have the particulars 100% correct. I do know Massi1 that the industry standard is vector for a logo and I will not budge on the fact that I am paying to have my logo in vector format. If I could draw I would do a sketch and trace/draw it in AI vector format but I cannot draw so that is why I am here. That is why I am going to pay the winner the $250, and I think I am being fair.

You can join the contest or you can choose not to do so, but going back and forth over particulars is not proper time management for either of us.

Jay Turner, Sep 7, 2014 IP
  4. brainstormingin

brainstormingin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I think Jay Turner is correct. Vector for logo is a must. Ideally the labels should also be vector so that there is no problem while scaling.

brainstormingin, Sep 8, 2014 IP
    Jay Turner likes this.
  5. Ashish92

Ashish92 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi Jay Turner,
    see the problems come from very simple things,

1. There are many budding designers right now on DP who are finding their way into the work and at most comfortable with small budget easy to make raster logos.
    2. Most of the experienced and capable designers work elsewhere as well so there time is very often divided (like in my case I juggle with university, my programming studies, my family work and my graphics passion at the same time)
    3. When you offer a good amount then a real designer will always think of giving you his best and usually when it comes to giving our best we go on for idea hunting i.e searching for a concept so brilliant it can do justice to your prize money so it takes a bit of time in that case.
    4. Most of the designers who are into serious designing passion work on other sites as well like 99designs and hence they find it hard to juggle all the sites at once, Digital point has a good frequency of incoming contests but not so great frequency of outputs.
    5. A good option for you would be to take a look at the previous contests and select the designers whose work you like and invite them to your competition through a pm, since most of us have notifications enabled therefore when you message them they are bound to check your thread and if your contest is something they can work out then they are sure to participate in it.

just my two cents these are.

Ashish92, Sep 8, 2014 IP
  6. Electric-Shadow

Electric-Shadow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    As Seller:
    100% - 11
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Some good posts on here.

Personally as a designer I've found two issues;

1: Abandoned contests & lack of feedback.

Lately I've noticed an increase in the number of abandoned contests and lack of feedback from CH's, this is my #1 frustration. A CH will hold a contest, post some feedback at first and then bugger off or just not have any feedback at all.

2: Low motivation for budding designers.

It can be really disheartening for a budding designer who puts a lot of work into their logo, for an experienced designer to then post something uber flashy minutes later, leaving the budding designer with no motivation.

Whilst it's great for the CH to get something they really love, it doesn't help the budding designers confidence as they end up with nothing for their efforts. This applies more to the high value contests like yours than the $20 $80 range, since they feel they have no chance against the 'pro' designers who seem to take a lot of wins on the bigger contests and even the smaller ones too.

More than anything DP needs to do something about the first issue, perhaps bringing back positive and negative rep but just for the design contests section, since this would require minimal effort on DP's part.

The other issue is more for CH's to work out with designers, perhaps by offering multiple prizes to increase interest, there's no shortage of things CH's can do to make their contests more appealing and friendly to both pro and budding designers.

Electric-Shadow, Sep 10, 2014 IP
    sikka2010 likes this.