1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Next Google Update

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 21, 2014.

Okay, I have a question about Google that doesn't seem to fit that snugly into other sub-categories. Hopefully in the event I'm posting in the wrong section, the moderator will take my confusion into consideration and let my post make it, move it to the appropriate sub-category, or at least notify me it's been deleted with a link to the appropriate sub to post it in so I can re-post it in the right place!

In any event, I was wondering if anyone has a clue when the next Google update will happen. It has already been about 8 months since the last one and it usually only takes about 3 or 4 months between updates.

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 21, 2014 IP
  2. SEOsince99

SEOsince99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Actually updates are happening all of the time, I believe you are referring to major updates such as Penguin.

Penguin will be rolled out any day now, and you better be ready. They've been diving into those disavows everyone's been submitting and coming up with a nice juicy update that will slaughter sites with questionable link profiles.

Start cleaning up those links folks because you don't want to see what the next variation of Penguin will do to your rankings if you have questionable links.

SEOsince99, Aug 21, 2014 IP
  3. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am expecting a major update from Google's end over the next couple of months.

rankwatch.com, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  4. singhbadshah

singhbadshah Member

Best Answers:
    Yes...... I agree, it would be next Penguin or Panda update soon.

singhbadshah, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  5. quiz

quiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The whole "disavow links" thing is quite fascinating. You remove them to get better results in Google but you might drop because of link losses in Bing. And what if Google just want to scare people with announcements like this to make people stop getting questionable links anyway. Never dropped ranks because of Penguin and Panda updates so not sure if I should believe any of this (or I don't have a lot disavow links and I don't drop because other drop even more and will end below me? Who knows).

quiz, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  6. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm referring to pagerank updates. Algorithms get changed all the time, but Google only typically updates its pagerank every few months.

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  7. John14

John14 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Recently we have two updates one is pigeon update which effects local searches and the other is https/ssl update as ranking factor for secure sites but in my own prediction may be there will be an update in September..

John14, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  8. TopDraw

TopDraw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure Google is working on eradicating PBNs now.....and maybe that is why Penguin is taking so long. All the forums are talking about PBNs like it is the best thing. I shudder to think that Google must be aiming for PBNs in the next update.

TopDraw, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  9. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nope; Google updates PR every day and factors that into the search results everyday. They occasionally export a useless meaningless historical representation of that internal PR to the toolbar to amuse us.

Agent000, Aug 23, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  10. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PageRank updates are something I won't hold my breath about. Apart from being a silly metric, Google themselves explained last year that they are looking to change the whole way the pagerank system works, so there probably won't be any regular updates, shifting it towards the new system. Even the last updates was said to have happened coincidentially, following a different change they have implemented. In any ways, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as you post great content and have a healthy link network your site will get better and better. PR doesn't bring you visitors, what you have on the website does ;)

Rado_ch, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  11. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    No Google does not update pagerank "everyday". Do a quick search online and even just reading things published in Google's blog will tell you that this type of update only gets done every few months.

I'll be so glad when they change this! It sucks trying to build something that doesn't mean anything, just because it's the one thing so many people consider important. My website is a great example; I have over 1k external backlinks, most do-follow, Alexa rank of under 200k world wide and 30k in the US, and get about 2k unique visitors daily, yet I was told I could not place certain affiliate ads on my site because it had no pagerank... Go figure.

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  12. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Nope, you are very wrong. PR has been updated internally at Google on a daily continuous basis since 2005!!! They factor that new PR into the ranking algorithm on a daily basis since 2005!!!

I challenge you to find a post or link in on of Google's blog where they say they do it every few months.

The "update" that you are asking about is NOT an update, it is simply a periodic export of a useless meaningless historical representation of that internal PR to teh toolbar for the SEO kiddies and wannabes to be amused with.

...btw. here is a link to Matt Cutts' blog where he talks about the continuous PR updates:
    ... I look forward to your link to a post on Google where they do not do continuous updates?????

ryan_uk likes this.
  13. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    According to Matt Cutts on his blog: "We only export new backlinks, PageRank, or directory data every three months or so though."

See also:

http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/google-pr-update/

http://searchengineland.com/googles-matt-cutts-no-more-pagerank-updates-this-year-173676

http://sprhost.com/knowledgebase/82...calculate-page-rank-for-indexed-websites.html

http://searchenginewatch.com/articl...e-Updates-PageRank-Just-in-Time-for-Christmas

http://moz.com/community/q/who-knows-when-the-next-google-page-rank-update-will-happen

I could go on for a couple hundred pages or so. Google never has and never will update pagerank "daily". Type "how often does Google update pagerank" in Google and every single result will tell you exactly what the above linked posts say. Google only updates pagerank every few months at best.

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  14. randall1022

randall1022 Member

Best Answers:
    I really miss the old days of advertising.. Meet your yp guy once a year. I guess the really good thing about seo is the cost. I spend about 200.00 now. I spent about 1700.00 a month with yp.

randall1022, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  15. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Dude, a PR export is very different to PR being updated internally as new links are discovered. It is mislabelled as a PR update when it is in fact just an EXPORT. A snapshot in that period of time.

Read through:
    https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/more-info-on-pagerank/
    Code (markup):

ryan_uk, Aug 23, 2014 IP
    malky66 and Agent000 like this.
  16. Agent000

Best Answers:
    !!!! Am I not typing slow enough for you? Yes they export it every few months! ie ..... "EXPORT" .... they calculate it and update it continuously every day.Which bit of that do you not get? That is exactly what Matt cutts said on his blog
    duh? They all talking about the dates of the export!!! If you actually read what some of them are saying, you will notice that they even talk about the continuous internal update.

I still waiting for you to take up my challenge and provide a link to a post on a google blog about this like you said there was?????

ryan_uk likes this.
  17. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    You keep saying they "update" the info daily. They don't update pr daily. They calculate it, they log it, they keep a running tab on this, but they don't update it. When this information gets changed and we can all see that change, then it's updated...

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 24, 2014 IP
  18. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    I never said anything about internal calculations. When I mentioned it had been 8 months since the last update and when I spoke about perceptions people have about pr and how this effects the value many people place on PR, it should have been obvious I was talking about the change in pagerank that everyone sees. It should be pretty clear that regardless how much information is gathered by Google on a daily basis, your pagerank isn't actually updated until it actually changes...

19. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm with @Agent000 on this; we're clearly not typing slowly enough for you.

1) Toolbar PR is meaningless, it is a number retrieved from an export and not the actual PR.
    2) From your misguided posts you are putting some meaning on it [PR], but as Google is updating PR continuously, i.e. C-A-L-C-U-L-A-T-I-N-G, U-P-D-A-T-I-N-G, U-P-T-O-D-A-T-E, the export is meaningless.
    3) Toolbar PR is an export, actual PR is used internally only, we don't get to see it. Just because we don't get to see it doesn't mean it isn't updated when it clearly is.

ryan_uk, Aug 24, 2014 IP
    malky66 and Agent000 like this.
  20. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:

• Many potentially high paying businesses in affiliate networks will not allow you to display their ads on your website without pagerank. FACT
    • Many individuals paying decent money for domain names are only looking for high pr websites. FACT
    • The term "toolbar PR" is a meaningless phrase you created to justify that bs you were spouting as fact. Google PageRank is a methods Google uses to determine a page's relevance or importance and does affect how websites get ranked. FACT
    • Calculating and updating are not in the least synonymous and that shit you're saying gets done on a daily basis is not "updating". When it's updated, it is changed.
    Look, if you want to latch on to some meaningless cliche that's your business. We all know that Google plans to do away with pr in the future and when that happens, I'll be the first to say that PR means nothing. But as long as the people with the ability to make me money use PR to determine whether or not my site is worth their time, it's important...

Good day.