1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Survey...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian123, Aug 19, 2014.

Brian123, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  2. Brian123

Brian123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks.
    It is for a project regarding how or if people have prepared for what happens to their online accounts when they pass away.
    It is a difficult process for families of those who have passed away to gain access to their loved ones accounts if a plan hasn't been put in place beforehand.

3. Michael Leng

Michael Leng Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did it so. What does the beneficial for your PJ?

Michael Leng, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  4. Brian123

Best Answers:
    Thanks.
    I am looking to find out how many people trust online services that store passwords etc... and maybe looking into a more trustworthy & safe alternative could be made available.

5. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Completed the survey. Interesting.
    Just curious about the age question at last. Are you gathering that to do some kind of study based on stats about how much people in a particular age group are savvy when handling their online passwords?

Content Maestro, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  6. Brian123

Best Answers:
    Thanks.
    In a way - yes. I am finding that the "older" age group are more likely to consider using the kind of service mentioned in the survey.

7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I use lastpass and it might be appropriate for them to incorporate something into their service.

What would be a nightmare for my tech-obtuse husband would be knowing which passwords were attached to accounts that required action.

As for the kids - they use email either on a domain I own, or gmail with the recovery email on a domain I own. That way I can do all the password resets I need, but again - do I need to do anything at Polyvore? Stardoll? Minecraft?

sarahk, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  8. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I may have a wrong notion here, but I NEVER trust ANY service that asks for my password. Even if it's one that's meant for storing your passwords safely. NO MATTER how trustworthy it appears or is, passwords are something I can NEVER share with ANYONE, unless I trust that person to death.
    Well, as for the part of something happening to you and your family members or close ones needing access to your account for whatsoever reason, I see a simple solution. If you need to access an account and the person is no more, just ask the website with which the account exists to reset the password and change it immediately after you have accessed the account. Nothing different from what you typically do when you lose the password to your email. OF COURSE there HAS to be some sort of accountability for this.

9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That's a good point. I only use it for passwords that don't really matter. Banking: No, dp: No, fb: No, Google: No

sarahk, Aug 19, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  10. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I took it. Not sure if I'd use that sort of service or not. It would have to be something reputable and with a long standing reputation. I wouldn't trust a start up for a second with that sort of info.

ksb2050, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  11. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Would you honestly trust that sort of service, even if it has a long standing reputation?
    What if their database is hacked one day? What if some sleazy employee sells the info?
    Even reputable companies in this business CAN'T guarantee a foolproof solution. There's ALWAYS a risk.

Just my view, NO OFFENSE.

12. Brian123

Best Answers:
    You have a valid point - it is all about trust.
    However, what if there were to be a foolproof way of securing your passwords? A way in which nobody could access, only you or your next of kin if something were to happen to you?

There are several well documented cases of loved ones not being given access to the online accounts of those who have passed away. It is a long and difficult process for families. Some people still wouldn't want their family to gain access to their accounts, even in death. So could there be a way to quickly delete those accounts without the family intervention? I think so.

Is there a 100% secure/hack proof way of storing and passing on the information to loved ones if requested? I know there is.

Would people use and trust such a way? Well, that remains to be seen.

Thanks to those who have taken the survey.

Brian123, Aug 20, 2014 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    theres always the option of pen and paper pinned to the wall. we don't have webcams so the only way to access that info is to be physically in my office

sarahk, Aug 20, 2014 IP
  14. Brian123

Best Answers:
    You are in a minority, Sarah... There are many people who wouldn't like their spouse to know their password details to social media sites etc... Yet they would like their social media sites to be removed once they have "gone".

It is a very grey area...

15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My husband would be lost in the dp world but he's welcome to take a look. If your spouse can't access your social media accounts then you really have to ask yourself what you are doing and if your relationship is right for you. We all have issues from time to time but secret online behaviour is dodgy!

sarahk, Aug 20, 2014 IP
  16. Brian123

Best Answers:
    Agreed, but does the same apply to separate banking accounts, ebay etc...?
    Obviously there will be accounts (such as forums), that wouldn't really matter, but for the ones that do, not everyone has a "trusting" relationship enough to share those details.

17. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Whether you should disclose your password to your spouse can be a big debate topic. However, I agree that it directly reflects on the level of trust in your relations.

@Brian123, if you could throw another poll on this, I would love to hear what the stats have to say.

Content Maestro, Aug 20, 2014 IP
  18. cblanke

cblanke Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Took the survey as well. This is just my thought on disclosing my passwords. I would never disclose my password to a spouse as them type of relationships tend to go bad and will just cause problems in the future if they do. Not saying all marriage go bad and some can trust their spouse but as i have been married twice and found i could not trust either one.

As far as my passwords go i do trust three people with them as well as have their passwords. My parents and my daughter as i know they can be trusted to do what i want in case of death and i am trusted with theirs for the same reason.

As far as a site to save passwords for this reason is not in my mind safe as their are to many sites like this that are vulnerable to hacking and just would not be trusted by me..

cblanke, Aug 20, 2014 IP
    Brian123 likes this.
  19. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't care about other people's passwords, including my wife's. I think stuff like that is very personal and should stay that way.

qwikad.com, Aug 20, 2014 IP
  20. Brian123

Best Answers:
    New thread and poll created: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/your-online-passwords.2730453/

Thanks to everyone who has voted in the survey.