1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you believe in gun control?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MarcL, Aug 16, 2014.

1. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    From the earliest times of guns?
    Criminals have STOLEN them!~
    From police departments, and best of all, all the armories of the national guard and the army and the navy.
    Plus all the armories of all the governmental agencies.

Where people have guns, crime rate is lower than where people do not have guns.

iowadawg, Aug 18, 2014 IP
  2. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you've said, but let's see statistics. Anyone can say anything. What statistics do you have to prove this? I'm not talking about some newspaper article written by someone in favor of gun rights, I'm talking about actual statistics. I've seen newspaper articles expressing the exact opposite of what you're saying and I've seen articles saying exactly what you said, but a newspaper article is written by someone with an opinion and as everyone knows, the news is always biased.

According to a recent study by Harvard University, more guns always equals more homicides and this has been true in every country: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

A study by famed economist Richard Florida concluded that stricter gun laws have always resulted in fewer gun-related crimes: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/01/the-geography-of-gun-deaths/69354/

I can show hundreds of studies that clearly show a direct correlation between guns and homicide, by some of the foremost researchers of our times.

The fact is, gun control is highly unpopular in the mainstream and organizations like the NRA are spending billions of dollars to convince people that gun control is not the answer, but the statistics, as well as historical evidence, proves that gun control is exactly what we need to make things safer here.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 18, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that if there are fewer guns there will be fewer homicides.

However, we live in the world where idealistic approaches and university studies do not reflect the reality we live in.

I am pro-gun because I may need to defend myself and my family one day from the f*cked up world that's trying to break into my life and harm me. So, no, that liberal idea of gun control and the world without violence is kind of childish. To dream that one day everything will be better and we will be living in one big, friendly community is unrealistic. To rely on the government to protect you in your time of need is unrealistic as well.

qwikad.com, Aug 18, 2014 IP
  4. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    The belief in gun control, while it is true many liberals believe in this, is not necessarily a "liberal idea". It is an idea held by individuals fed up with gun violence who feel it is the only way to curb it. My personal views are not liberal by any means and I am probably more conservative in my views than most, but where gun violence is concerned, I am 100% in favor of gun control.

The law that allows you to use a gun to "defend" yourself and your family is the same law that enables the criminals who endanger the lives of others with guns to do so. They don't just sh*t those guns out of their asses; they get them from individuals who legally bought them.

I know we will never have a world without violence and I never said we would. But remove guns from the equation and I guarantee the violence we see everyday would be drastically reduced and many lives would indeed be saved... And at least I wouldn't have to worry about some disgruntled student taking a gun to my daughter's school and going on a shooting spree! This happens more and more each day and as a parent, it scares the shit out of me!

5. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For Columbine they would probably have made 50 homemade bombs instead of 1 bomb and shooting everyone. As Kerosene said they would figure a way out even with guns banned.

MarcL, Aug 18, 2014 IP
  6. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    You're assuming, of course...

7. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They already made 1 and wanted to kill people.. so they had the knowledge and drive to do it.. just saying

MarcL, Aug 18, 2014 IP
  8. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    It still doesn't change the argument. A man being cured of cancer and getting run over by a car is not a valid argument in favor of doing away with cancer treatment.

9. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Got to love people who link to articles by LIBERALS that are up to 14 years old!
    Come on, do google searches and get more current articles.

iowadawg, Aug 19, 2014 IP
    ksb2050 likes this.
  10. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    Got to love people who comment on something without actually taking the time to read it. None of the links cited here are "14 years old". The Harvard one is about 6 years old and the other is 3 years old. Neither are "liberal".

How's this for "current" (published October 2013)?

One of the largest and most recent studies on gun violence in America concludes that widespread gun ownership is the driving force behind violence. The study compiles data from all fifty states between 1981 and 2010 to examine the relationship between gun ownership and homicide. After accounting for national trends in violent crime as well as eighteen control variables, the study concludes, “For each percentage point increase in gun ownership the firearm homicide rate increased by 0.9%.” This research is consistent with evidence showing that even in “gun utopias” such as Israel and Switzerland, more guns means more violence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24054955

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  11. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course I don't. Only the uninformed truly believe in a concept as stupid as gun control is. First of all it would be unenforceable because Americans are not just going to give up their guns. Secondly it's hard not to note that some of the most restrictive and controlling governments on Earth employed Gun Control as one of the measures to control their people: The Nazi's being a very prime example but communist china being yet another. Thirdly you can take away guns but guns aren't killing people - people are killing people - which makes me wonder are we going to ban everything in existence. If you want to kill someone you are going to kill someone and you are going do it by any means necessary be it gun, knife, fork, lamp, car, rock, whatever. Gun Control is one sure fire way to make everything in this nation....WORSE.

ksb2050, Aug 19, 2014 IP
    iowadawg likes this.
  12. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah...because that just screams "unbiased" and "credible"

KEYWORDS: Firearm deaths; Gun ownership; Mental illness :eek::eek::eek:

I wouldn't mind seeing reputable articles on this topic though. One without political bias threaded through them.

ksb2050, Aug 19, 2014 IP
    iowadawg likes this.
  13. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    Only the "uninformed" make immature comments like this...

14. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    Wonderful ad hominem attack. Do you have an actual debate or is immaturity it?

Must say it's a subtle tactic, unlikely to work in your favor, but it's your war chest lol.

ksb2050, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  15. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    I don't need a debate on immaturity to prove calling someone else's belief stupid is immature.

16. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    You're right of course, you've dug your own hole, which is noot the best strategy but good luck with it. I'm not going to stay for the outcome. Although I'm sure the next immature attack will be well versed.

Although...41 years old? Jameyson...man...you should have said 17...I would have believed 17. A 41 year old usually can debate better. My users do.

ksb2050, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  17. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    You've contributed nothing to this discussion except to prove you can sling mud. The original question was "do you believe in gun control" and I responded. I've stated my views and explained them without once resorting to name calling or disrespect. Your sole contribution to this discussion has been to call my beliefs "stupid" and call me a "tool", yet I seem to recall an article that referred to instigators and "agent provocateurs" as exactly that: tools...

18. Mysmasken

Mysmasken Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course. Grew up in Sweden (with gun control), lived in Canada (with cun control), now live in the US and it's scary as hell. Just today a grandma shot her grandson thinking he was in intruder (she was looking after him and his brother!). Any numpty can have a gun and that scares the living bejesus out of me.

Mysmasken, Aug 19, 2014 IP
    Jameyson MacDonald likes this.
  19. Mysmasken

Mysmasken Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also meant to say that if someone loses it with his fists he can actually stop part-way through, with a gun you pull the trigger and you can regret it for the rest of your life, but never take get that life back.

Mysmasken, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I never get to say that again :(

Live: Armed cops surround home

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    sarahk, Aug 31, 2014 IP