1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Educated Guess about Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by HRA, Aug 15, 2014.

Hi,

Im not sure if its possible to answer this. But as it doesn't hurt to ask here I go.

Im going to put links to 3 sites here. Can anyone guess judging by Alexa Rank, what kind of server one would need to host those sites? VPS/ Dedi? RAM, Processor, cores etc.

http://www.kaymu.lk/
    http://www.sinhalahelp.com/
    http://autolanka.com

Thanks

HRA, Aug 15, 2014 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa rank means absolutely nothing. It just shows an estimate of many people with the Alexa Toolbar installed visit the site. How many people do you know actually use the Alexa toolbar? You can have a very popular and busy site, but it might have a low ranking on Alexa.

So instead of playing the Alexa guessing game, you really need how many hits, unique visitors, etc., those sites get.

WSWD, Aug 15, 2014 IP
  3. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I didn't know that.
    Then I guess there is no way to guess without having access to those info right?
    Thanks a lot for reply.

HRA, Aug 15, 2014 IP
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Gidday.

An educated guess simply cannot be done. I have had one clients site use up an entire server -> the site used poorly coded wordpress plugins and it had nothing to do with the number of visitors.
    I know alot of users like to have multiple websites on a single cpanel / web account. But I disagree with this practice.

What I suggest is this. Consider to take up a reseller cpanel account with a hosting provider that has Cloud linux installed. Often, the host will give each one of your accounts a fixed limit of 512-1gb ram, as well as a (hopefully generous) cpu limit. Once you have each site hosted in their own cpanel account, you can easily see if they are using too much ram, CPU, or other. A host that has a 1gb ram limit for each account, would be the equivalent of say a 1.5gb cpanel vps.

One of the other advantages of seperating each site on its own account is that if one site uses too much resources, and say, needs a high powered VPS/server, and if its not earning enough to cover the costs, then you can easily terminate that site, whereas if its all hosted on the same account, you might not be aware of the true cost (and therefor profit) of each site.

matt_62, Aug 16, 2014 IP
  5. Sammi Rose

Sammi Rose Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Guessing based on Alexa ranking of the site can just give some idea about traffic estimates to website else it has not been valued much.

Sammi Rose, Aug 21, 2014 IP