1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

There is NOT a PR Update going on!

Discussion in 'Google' started by prowler, May 27, 2005.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Once again, you haven't really read the thread, have you, Toots?

minstrel, May 28, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I haven't read the parts which were not important to the issues, correct.

Blogmaster, May 28, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Go back and read my posts... carefully this time. Make sure you also read the post by t2dman and the one from Shawn. If there's anything you don't understand, just let me know...

4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    k, I have read those but the question is what have yours contributed? Yes you have agreed with some right parts and you have added some meaningless things as always.
    Your posts are really not worth reading thru Minstrel. Not in seo at least. Unless you have too much time and are in need of some entertainment.

Blogmaster, May 28, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I see. That would explain a lot about you and your sites.

In any case, may I suggest you simply stop reading my posts and shut the hell up?

6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now Boys.................. Lets not start bickering.

joeychgo, May 28, 2005 IP
  7. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok some common sense:
    I still dont think PR is dead, because your car breaks down you dont say ford has stopped buiding engines.

If Google were to kill of PR it would make NO logical sense.

I use PR for almost every site i visit. It gives me an instant judgement (you have to consider everything else to for it to be meaningful at all). - That is not to say I ignore PR0 and target PR8s only. But more: If a site is PR 7 it is likely to have traffic, likely to have a link campaign, likely to have knowledgeable webmasters/seos.
    If PR was hard to find I wouldnt waste my time, but flicking my eyes to the right to see a '5' is no effort. I have never seen a PR1 win against a PR 7 when targeting the same term. I rarely see below a 5 in the top 10s for anything remotely competitive.

The use of PR is not in it being a defining factor merely another feature to help you judge sites out there.

On top of this:
    1. The coop likes High PR.
    2. Link swappers like High PR.
    3. Shoppers like high PR.
    4. Researchers like high PR.

I can not see a corporation like google getting rid of PR in this manner. It would lead to so much bad will.
    Also, All that would happen is Mrank or Yrank would take its place and googe would lose a maketing and datamining tool.
    There is not one vaid reason for getting rid of visible PR - except to prevent people selling services based on PR.
    If PR didnt exist, spam, google bombing and the rest still, it would just be ever so slightly harder.

Design Agent, May 28, 2005 IP
    GTech likes this.
  8. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nooo, PR is not dead! It can't be, its too important for me :D What will I strive for if there is no PR? Here is a thought, maybe Google is making PR better, you know like having it update every week :cool:

But just in case:

[​IMG]

Googles76, May 28, 2005 IP
    davedx likes this.
  9. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    great pic googles76 !

frankm, May 28, 2005 IP
  10. rocky1

rocky1 Peon

Best Answers:

Although I would agree with a part of what you suggest in the other post sitetutor, I don't know that good clean advertising is really going to buy you allot in the way of placement, unless in such you infer a good clean linking campaign.

Were I to consider anything an integral part to lasting results on the search engines it would be the utilization of good clean SEO tactics. Back to basics... Proper meta tags, so the engines recognize exactly what your site is about, whether they rank on them or not, and let's not forget MSN does use them still. Proper selection of page URL and Title, and proper utilization of keywords in titles, sub-titles, alt text, title text, and throughout content. Thinking relevance throughout everything, page by page, throughout the site, including utilization of keywords in internal and external links pointing at specific pages. If you build it right with a solid SEO foundation, and update information on the site occasionally so the engines see a little fresh content now and then, it will see lasting results.

As for your comments on the Search Egnines not giving a damn about SEOs, I couldn't agree with you more there. Their game is entirely about trying to stay ahead of any iffy advantages SEOs may discover, and offer the average user a reliable result in search. Here again, by sticking to basic SEO principles, you feed the search engine only the information it wants to feed the search user.

rocky1, May 28, 2005 IP
  11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Rocky, I continue to like your stuff. I've always felt that good SEO helped the SEs determine the true relevance of the page. On many poorly designed and optimized sites it is impossible to tell what the hell the site is about. SEO isn't some evil cheating black art. It is an earnest attempt to explain to all, including the SEs, what the site is about.

Keep up the fine posts.

compar, May 28, 2005 IP
  12. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    I agree with Design Agent. Very well said!

I use PR as a judgement. I order a lot of things on the web, but I won't order from a PR0 site. Just a rule of thumb for me.

Time will tell. There's lots of possibilities for why it's down, including the possibility of revamping it based on their own site rankings being hijacked.

GTech, May 28, 2005 IP
  13. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    tThe best marketing would be "we are removing page rank and replacing with the new improved PR2" NOT, whoops where did it go? Oh no idea, oh well at least those webmasters wont be able to make sure our visitors get relevant results now they cant see PR"

14. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever read. What the hell has the PR value of a page got to do with the quality of the product. BTW sites don't have PR only pages.

And as I've said elsewhere with Google's random and rare updates you don't even know the the true PR of a page. Garbage in, garbage out. You're making idiotic decisions on totally unreliable and meaningless information.

compar, May 28, 2005 IP
  15. GTech

Best Answers:
    Apparently you don't read much bob. It has nothing to do with the quality of the product. It's about how established a site is. If I'm ordering, I want to order from a site that's been around for a while.

GTech, May 28, 2005 IP
  16. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    TFF :D :) :D :) Shop based on PR. ROFL

larysmith711, May 28, 2005 IP
  17. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    The idea is simple if A site has a decent PR is is LIKELY to be established and EXPERIENCED. It is very unlikely to be a new site and has not been banned from Google for spam, illegal activites etc..

To say you ignore it entirely or rely on it totally is the mistake.

18. rocky1

rocky1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks much Compar.... I see to many designers and SEOs these days omitting meta tags, then questioning their lack of placement or using covert tactics to try and place pages. If you omit the meta tags, the search engine has to read the page and determine what it thinks the page is about, common sense dictates that if you tell the search engine what the page is about, you're far more likely to find your results where you want to see them!

G-Tech... Design Agent... Not trying to stir the pot here, but again... if you have a new site it has PR 0. That doesn't mean it's not a respectable business, it doesn't mean it's not a respectable site. It typically means the site is new, it hasn't been completely indexed, it hasn't gained any experience, it probably doesn't have a great many back links. Personally it would be a cold day in hell before I placed any store in PR as an indicating factor of the respectability of an on-line business. The more questionable a business is, the more likely they are to buy PR, by buying links, and/or by buying a little black hat SEO to increase their potential in the results.

I want to look at their page and see if it's honestly and intelligently written. Look at their products and compare their descriptions to those of competitors, PR is the absolute last thing I'm going to look at if I'm making a purchase, and it's not going to be a determining factor in that purchase in any way!

rocky1, May 28, 2005 IP
  19. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't purchase from a site that is PR0 (meaning the index page was PR0, not the product pages). Usually, reseller ratings and other sites that keep tabs on whether a site is repuatable link to the main domain, which in turn passes some sort of PR. The PR doesn't have to be high, but the domain does need to be established if I am going to spend money there.

Infiniterb, May 28, 2005 IP
  20. GTech

Best Answers:
    Rocky, completely understand what you are saying. I don't imply all PR0 sites are not trustworthy, I just don't give my credit card details to them. If others are in the habit of giving their credit card information out to new PR0 sites, more power to them. I'm a little more cautious about givng that kind of information out and where I give it out to. I apply the same things you mention to sites I order from. I don't shop based upon PR, as implied, I just choose not to order from PR0 sites. After that, it comes down to things you mention such as quality, does it look legit, have I heard of them and sometimes doing a search on them.

GTech, May 28, 2005 IP