1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 Years & DMOZ Will Not List Us!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mayanetworkinc, Jun 29, 2014.

1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not at all, but I'm not the one who has been counting the years since the first submission.

Wikipedia might be better but it still relies on volunteers and I bet the OP hasn't stepped up there either.

sarahk, Jul 16, 2014 IP
    snooks likes this.
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL Comparing Wiikipedia to Dmoz is like comparing Boy Scouts to Mafia and say both are volunteer organizations. :)

gworld, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  3. MoneyWrite

MoneyWrite Member

Best Answers:
    I used to be a DMOZ editor and I am still on Wikipedia, which says it all really.

DMOZ has a strict hierarchy of editors and can be a very closed book (a lot depends on the forums which are behind closed doors). It also does not really let users dip in and out when real life becomes all consuming - which means a good deal of editors get lost. That's how I got lost, although getting in fights with more senior editors didn't help my case.

I still miss all the arguments about categorisation. Geekdom and fighting, that's how to waste the hours!

MoneyWrite, Aug 3, 2014 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ, more or less is a geek version of a criminal organization. It was more or less a bunch of desperate individuals who were saying and doing anything to make a couple of bucks. With the demise of DMOZ, most have left and probably trying to do the same thing somewhere else but the few who are left, are so set to operate like an organized crime gang that they cannot change the method of operation and let it be a useful volunteer organization.

gworld, Aug 4, 2014 IP
  5. MoneyWrite

MoneyWrite Member

Best Answers:
    The real problem DMOZ has is that Google is so much better than search engines used to be. DMOZ and Yahoo directories filled a gap when you couldn't find what you were looking for through the four or five search engines that you had on your favourites, but that's now gone.

Those of you who are younger than 25 are probably wondering what on earth I'm talking about.

MoneyWrite, Aug 4, 2014 IP
    helleborine and sarahk like this.
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don´t agree with you. Search engines have their place and are quite good if you want a fast answer to something, but try to search on some popular subject or some not so popular subject and you have to go to page 10 in the search result before you find anything relevant. Directories can be very relevant and useful tool for research in specific subjects.

gworld, Aug 4, 2014 IP
  7. MoneyWrite

MoneyWrite Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest over the last couple of years, I've found that Wikipedia citations and external links often do this better for me as they tend to be less dependent on whoever is your directory dictator.

MoneyWrite, Aug 4, 2014 IP
  8. Sword

Sword Member

Best Answers:
    I'm asking this more in general I guess, but if you have a site for 10 years or more and you're not informed it's been rejected by DMOZ, is there really no reasonable amount of time to wait before resubmitting? It just seems like once every 2 or 3 years wouldn't be spamming and when you consider link rot in some categories over that amount of time and that most webmasters that have lasted would have improved their site over the years, that it would be reasonable for editors to take another look.

Sword, Aug 19, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Terrible analogy.

DMOZ is a dated juggernaut of expired links. But, at least they are categorized expired links.

10 farking years. The entire world can change in that time. Atlases must be redrawn.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
    ceebee, Aug 30, 2014 IP