1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's your most succesful domain sales platform (sedo..afternic..flippa..)

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by gigalicious, Mar 24, 2014.

What's your experience with domain selling platforms like sedo,afternic,gd,flippa or others ?
    Since i started the topic, i start first.
    At GD : i get ALWAYS $10-15 for LLL.com i had there (actually sold it for X,XXX)
    At Sedo : OK in the past, sucks now, no offers even for good domains
    At Afternic : Are they alive ?
    At Flippa : Few eyeballs, few bids, most of the time not reachine reserve for high value names.

(made a successful error at the topic title too :)

gigalicious, Mar 24, 2014 IP
  2. dave2013

dave2013 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Definately Flippa for me, if we are speaking of marketplaces and not forums.

I say flippa because compareable to other markets i have made 5 sales this year and on sedo only one. In the past two years i have only sold 2 domains on godaddy.

Definately easier to sell premium domains on domain forums.

dave2013, May 14, 2014 IP
  3. nkgrg

nkgrg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    My experience says like this;
    The more money you spend on your listing the better chances you have to get your product sold. Otherwise, your listing (normal listing) will never come to the eyes of your potential buyers.
    As a matter of fact, there are about 94% sellers than the buyers (godaddy,flippa,sedo)...These sellers are basically from south asian countries.
    Some so called, potential buyers even offer you a four to five figure price at once provided you have a professional appraisal certificate for which they provide links to go to eiter their own appraisal sites or an affiliated ones.
    Once you have paid for the appraisal certificate, they simply ignore your mails.
    So, you have to be very careful about who is your potential buyer (bidder), check out his profiles, bids, feedbacks etc before closing your deal.
    hope it helps.
    nkGurung

nkgrg, Jun 8, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  4. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I sold a domain at afternic once, for about $6k. An offer just came out of the blue and after some short negotiations the sale went through. I guess it's worth just listing the names at different places.
    I think most of my domain sales were from sedo, some small ones on godaddy too.
    Flippa is quite different from all the others though. You have to make a good description, promote the auction, get premium listing if it's a high value domain etc. Some of my auctions did pretty well, but it is more for sites than domains.

DomainMagnate, Jun 10, 2014 IP
  5. postly

postly Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. Post your domains at multiple listing providers.
    2. Set a realistic price.
    3. Before you pay for upgrades and what not, make sure the domain name you're trying to sell is worth it.
    4. Always put yourself in the buyer's position: Would you buy the domain name and why?
    5. Good luck. You'll need it!

postly, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    first up, I am not someone that buys domains specifically to resell. All the domains I have, were either brought for myself for sites I had planned to develop, or acquired over time by buying other websites. But I recently tried to sell a large group of no-longer-needed domains at flippa, I paid for expensive upgrades on the listings. What I didnt do was:
    - hire fake bidders from fiverr (or other sources, my mistake)
    - promote it anywhere... the point of going to a marketplace and paying for expensive listing upgrades should mitigate this
    - never actually saw the paid upgrades from flippa delivered either. Bit of a scam there methinks. Support was useless. Paying for home page listing means I should be able to find it there, not find some soggy excuse from support saying that it was but has now vanished so 'tuff shit'.

Even if people say that the domains I was selling at Flippa was "low value", the sale only attracted a single $10 bid (less then $1 per domain), an extremely pitiful result considering the cost of listing on flippa, and a pitiful result considering that crappier domains have gone for $xxx on flippa - but I think some of these are not necessarily honest auctions (long winded thread between buyer that brougt a worthless domain and a flippa seller). Anyone that bids alot on flippa will see times where the price just makes no sense. Would have had to take min $250 to cover the costs involved with acquiring all the domains, as well as listing fees and the domains. People will still say that maybe my domains were only worth "$10", but I am just saying that I did an honest listing (my mistake), with an honest description, and got a pitiful result.

Another place I tried was namepros, I just listed a couple of domains I wanted to get rid off, I would have given them away, again, no interest, zero, zip, nada.
    Now all the domains that I had listed at flippa, namepros, SEDO (and 2 other places), I threw them on the namecheap marketplace and just set and forgot about them, and managed to get rid of them all for between $5-$20, a significantly better result (probly broke even or close to it on the actual domain costs), and the only selling fee was a 10% commission. Would have been a FANTASTIC result, had it not being for the amount of time I had wasted previously to try to get rid of them.

For me, I would rather have domains expire then try again on flippa, and I have in the past given domains (and the site) away to people that were keen on continuing the project. But waking up and finding that 3-4 domains have been sold via namecheap, no hassle, no mucking about, no sales pitch, no bullshit, no expensive outlays for no results, no screaming emails as I am an hour late in pushing a domain due to them not providing correct account details (or having a push password on) is a much nicer and cleaner system.

I am yet to try godaddy, if its quick and easy I might give it a go, but the reason why I prefer to stick with namecheap listings is that I just list them, and when the client pays, they get the domain instantly and can start working on the domain straight away, and there is nothing that I have to do.

So to sum up that rather useless rant, out of 5 places that I have tried, listing on namecheap marketplace has proven to be the best, cost effective, and time saving solution for liquidating no-longer-needed domains.

matt_62, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  7. mlmleads

mlmleads Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks!

mlmleads, Jul 5, 2014 IP
  8. Charli

Charli Member

Best Answers:
    I sold a PR1 Domain name on Flippa for $50. I think for the actual 'bidding' process, I would go with Flippa. Just go escrow if you have a high PR domain name.

Charli, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  9. Bupler

Bupler Member

Best Answers:
    I also have more success with Flippa. Started out at Sedo, but didn't make much progress there. My experience with Flippa is you must have a good description, just like selling things in eBay etc.. Also, if it's not a good domain name, you'll not go anywhere either. Sometimes I give a hint, or just straight out te the reserve price. Keeps lurkers away and allows serious bidders to actually reach the reserve.

Bupler, Jul 27, 2014 IP
  10. Variable

Variable Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Flippa here as well! I've sold about 10 domain names with Flippa, never got any shady deals. It's also got a very secure system so there is like no chance of you getting scammed ;)

Variable, Jul 29, 2014 IP
  11. rassen

rassen Member

Best Answers:
    Flippa is good, but you have to pay fee for your domain for sale

rassen, Jul 30, 2014 IP
  12. Variable

Variable Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    @rassen, that's the main feature which keeps the site scam-safe :)

Variable, Jul 30, 2014 IP
  13. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    The best sales venue for me is my inbox.

Number 2 would be offers via parking.

Number 3 would be market places.

Number 4 would be forums.

ImageAuthors, Aug 10, 2014 IP
    sweetpea69 likes this.
  14. maddenitrous

maddenitrous Member

Best Answers:
    I have sold few domains at Sedo, but did not had much luck with Flippa.

maddenitrous, Aug 21, 2014 IP
  15. robertgreen

robertgreen Member

Best Answers:
    I only sell domains on Flippa. Because domains I listed on Sedo haven't been sold yet. You may list both, it will be a good idea!

robertgreen, Sep 19, 2014 IP
  16. RevSan

RevSan Active Member

Best Answers:
    RevSan, Sep 19, 2014 IP
  17. briguy

briguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    am I understanding, correctly, you can list my domains like Sedo and Go daddy at the same time!

Did try to sell my domains at eBay... No result.

briguy, Sep 19, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  18. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought on eBay, you could sell everything, including the Virgin Mary on a grilled cheese sandwich. :rolleyes:

danasurvey, Sep 22, 2014 IP
    briguy likes this.
  19. briguy

briguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    VirginMaryOnAGrilledCheeseSandwich(dot)com wonder if it is registered?
    Seriously, never had any sales on eBay

briguy, Sep 22, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  20. gauravt73

gauravt73 Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Flippa and Fiver is the best platform

gauravt73, Sep 22, 2014 IP