1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best way to obtain a domain as it expires?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Grit., Jul 2, 2014.

Recently, one of my fathers friends passed away, and they run a website that gets a nice amount of traffic, however, it isn't due to expire until later this year. I expect it will drop, as the site hosting has expired, leading to DNS issues upon trying to access the site.
    Since this is a new thing to me, what is the best way for me to obtain this domain asap, as in purchase it as soon as it expires?

Thank you in advance for your responses

Grit., Jul 2, 2014 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a little tricky. Your best bet would be to try and obtain the domain before its expiration. Was your friend the only admin contact for the domain? If yes, would it be possible to speak with his wife/family and ask them to contact the current host, explaining the case and providing documentation of their relation with the deceased. I am suggesting this because the domain itself has a tricky life cycle.

After the domain expires, there will be a grace period of around 30 days when the domain still can be renewed on the standard price. After that it will enter Redemption Phase which always lasts differently with different registrars. In this stage the domain owner can renew the domain but with a very high fee. After that, there is a Pending Delete stage which also lasts a few days before the registrar releases the domain on the market again. This is the general scenario! But, of course, it would've been too easy and straightforward that way. Truth is that the registrar might find value in the domain and decide not to release it for a regfee registration, but on a premium price, on a auction lets say. Or you can wait and for the release just to realize that someone backordered the domain before that and caught it. Of course, a possible scenario for you would be to wait until you can see it available for a backorder and outrun the competition, but again - there is always the risk of someone being faster.

Its an unpleasant situation really but many hosts have already encountered it and have some sort of policies in case the owner is deceased. Best to first check with the relatives and host before you risk waiting and end up empty-handed.

Good luck.

Rado_ch, Jul 2, 2014 IP
    Grit. likes this.
  3. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, well, I'm not affiliated with the relatives. It was my father who knew the deceased, however, I don't think he knew him well enough for me to be successful in this acquisition. Thank you very much for your very detailed response in regards to this matter, it looks like it will be an idea I give up on

Grit., Jul 2, 2014 IP
  4. HostDash

HostDash Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    If you're unable to get the domain name before the expiration date then you could setup a backorder so once it expires, the company you purchased a backorder with will attempt to register the domain name once it becomes available. You would want to do this as the domain can be snatched up within minutes of being available.

Domain backorders are not guaranteed though but does increase your chances of getting it vs somebody else.

HostDash, Jul 3, 2014 IP
    Grit. likes this.
  5. mlmleads

mlmleads Member

Best Answers:
    Try the back order with the registrar where the domain is currently registered. Although if they have an auction system like Godaddy they will just charge you $30 to put a $10 bid into the system. So in that case just keep an eye on the auctions and try to bid in the final minutes.

mlmleads, Jul 5, 2014 IP