1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are social media lacking?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by shemseddine, Jul 2, 2014.

I'm just wondering what are todays social media lacking?
    What features are they lacking?

This could be really niche as you want

shemseddine, Jul 2, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    One thing that I have thought of but have no desire to try would be a vetting service for social sites. What I mean is that there are A LOT of fakers, frauds, posers, etc., who are not what or whom they claim to be. If there was a good vetting service at a reasonable price that could verify whom a person/avatar was and vouch for it (much like my website uses an SSL certificate and is verified to be who it is with a bond guaranteeing it) that could be really interesting to people on dating sites and more.

jrbiz, Jul 2, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  3. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd like to see better, more comprehensive search features where you can really drill down and find what you're specifically looking for.

danasurvey, Jul 2, 2014 IP
  4. shemseddine

shemseddine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Really great ideas here. @clarklewis I agree with you that there is a lot of noise around and a lot of useless information.

shemseddine, Jul 3, 2014 IP
  5. Sue Nightingale

Sue Nightingale Peon

Best Answers:
    I handle social media for a small company and lately I am having a lot of trouble keeping track of conversations across different social networks.

My company uses about.me, twitter, and linkedin to interact with customers and potential customers. Sometimes, the interaction with a person starts with one social network and moves to others, e.g. we will start from about.me (intro), and then move to twitter (back and forth), and then to email (send some documents), and then back to twitter again (updates and DMs). I want to remember the conversation I had with one person across different networks, and I don't want to accidentally contact the same person twice via different social network (not knowing they are the same person).

Right now, I have a huge excel sheet of the people I have contacted and what was said, and I have to cross check every time before I contact someone new. Multiply that by a few hundred people....and I spend a lot of my time updating the excel sheet and cross checking....

Does anyone else have the same problem? (or even better, does anyone know what I can do to make my life easier?)

Sue Nightingale, Jul 3, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  6. shemseddine

Best Answers:
    Yeah I think this could be easily avoided if social networks shared messages across each other but I'm not sure if that is the case. But if the API allows you to access the messages then I think that these social networks could easily combat that.

7. Sue Nightingale

Sue Nightingale Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think my problem would be solved if I have a tool that can let me access messages from all these social networks and group them by the individuals.

I wonder if this is a common problem for people who use social media a lot or it is just me. Any thoughts?

Sue Nightingale, Jul 3, 2014 IP
  8. shemseddine

Best Answers:
    I personally stick to talking to a person using just one social network. Maybe it's because I don't have much to talk about but I prefer to use email

9. Jake Rigdon

Jake Rigdon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Off the top of my head, I'd say the search features on most social media sites are pretty poor. Also, most sites don't offer great analytics.

Jake Rigdon, Jul 3, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  10. kalseo

kalseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    None of the social networks lack any absolutely necessary features. The thing that every social network lack is engagement between users, especially when it comes to business promotion on social media.

kalseo, Jul 5, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  11. shemseddine

Best Answers:
    I agree with that. user engagement between one and another is very low. I'm sure of what kind of ways to overcome this

shemseddine, Jul 5, 2014 IP
  12. Jake Rigdon

Jake Rigdon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the reason engagement is so low is because its unnatural is simply start talking to someone you don't know. Social media doesn't equal automatic 'friends' no matter how many like/connections/followers you have. You genuinely engage people on social media as you would in the real world -- politely with the expectation that they might not be interested in you or what you have to say.

Jake Rigdon, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  13. Sue Nightingale

Sue Nightingale Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, majority of people on Twitter seem to be talking _at_ people rather than talking to them. It is difficult to have a conversation or engagement when everyone is talking and very few people are listening.

Sue Nightingale, Jul 6, 2014 IP
    Jake Rigdon likes this.
  14. mattlundgren95

mattlundgren95 Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this! Especially on Facebook, the search feature can be tough and confusing at times!

I also think that Facebook needs to improve how posts from pages reach the people who have liked that page. I manage a couple pages, and I'll have close to 800 likes (I know not too much), but only have like 10 or 20 people actually see my posts!

mattlundgren95, Jul 6, 2014 IP