1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Phony Scandals

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Obamanation, Jun 27, 2014.

So regardless of your political slant, which camp do you find yourselves in on the IRS magically losing two years of email from specific employees related to the IRS targeting scandal, and only announcing the loss of those emails once the subpoena arrived?

Are you a believer?

[​IMG]

Obamanation, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  2. bshearer

bshearer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Being that I used to manage decent size room of servers along with BACKUPS. I find it replusive that they are using this excuse.

I have been audited by the IRS and received fines as a result and at the time they did not want excuses from me. Period.

So if they have not obeyed the law in terms of archiving then I hope their world caves in on themselves. It's no excuse.

This is the very reason we need to dump this entire system and switch to some sort of flat tax with EVERYONE paying the same amount and ZERO deductions. Corporations will be in that boat as well. But this subject is an entirely different animal.

bshearer, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  3. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, in consideration of your background in IT (something I'm sure many on this forum have as well), are you saying this man is lying to congress?

Obamanation, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  4. bshearer

bshearer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. Absolutely.

bshearer, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    "IRS Requirements
    IRC Sec. 6001 gives the Secretary of the Treasury power to require the keeping of records to show whether a taxpayer is liable for tax. Treas. Reg. Sec. 1.6001-1(a) explains that permanent books of accounts or records, including inventories, should be kept that "are sufficient to establish the amount of gross income, deductions, credits, or other matters required to be shown" on a tax or information return. Reg. Sec. 1.6001-1(e) requires that taxpayers make such books or records available at all times for inspection by authorized IRS personnel and that they retain such books and records for as long as their contents may be "material in the administration of any internal revenue law." Rev. Rul. 71-20 states that "machine-sensible data media used for recording, consolidating, and summarizing accounting transactions and records within a taxpayer's automatic data processing system are records within the meaning of IRC Sec. 6001 of the Code and Reg. Sec. 1.6001-1." EDI was first mentioned in Rev. Proc. 91-59, which provides the latest guidance from the IRS for record retention in an electronic environment.
    Penalties
    Taxpayers who fail to follow the requirements of Rev. Proc. 91-59 for the retention and maintenance of machine-sensible records may be subject to the accuracy related civil penalty of IRC Sec. 6662(a) (for negligence or disregard of rules or regulations) and to the criminal penalty of IRC Sec. 7203. This is no empty threat: IRC Sec. 6662 provides for a penalty of 20% on the portion of any underpayment of tax due to negligence or intentional disregard of rules and regulations (which include revenue procedures) and IRC Sec. 7203 states that willful failure to keep records or supply information, as required by the IRC, is a misdemeanor that carries the potential of imprisonment for up to one year and/or a fine of $25,000 ($100,000 for corporations), plus the cost of prosecution, for those who are convicted."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

How can they with a straight face try to punish people for something that they claim that they have done?

gworld, Jun 28, 2014 IP
  6. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Pretty simple really, they are the government. I have to wonder what my tax treatment would be if I treated my IRS auditor with the disdain the IRS shows for oversight.

I guess it boils down to this. When you know the Justice Department is not going to pursue you,no matter what you do, so long as what you do is to the Justice Department's political enemies, you are for all intents and purposes, above the law.

Obamanation, Jun 28, 2014 IP
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no question about the fact that this is a cover-up. They are intentionally hiding evidence and the "hard drive crashes" is a lame excuse. The IRS is claiming that the hard drives of seven workers central to the investigation all crashed. Nobody with any sense would believe such an outrageous lie. The probability of all seven hard drives crashing is practically zero.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/u...-lerners-lost-emails-in-irs-scandal.html?_r=0

billzo, Jun 28, 2014 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    These people are such morons that cannot come up with even a reasonable excuse. Even if they believe that all 7 hard drives crashed, which is unbelievable, the next question will be where is the backups. Are they going to claim that the IRS takes no backup?

gworld, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  9. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    That is certainly another issue. Yet another is the fact they run a server based email system (Exchange), so while a copy of their email does indeed sit on their individual computers (in Outlook), yet another copy (and set of backups) exists on the server.

To your point specifically, federal law requires them to a) keep backups and b) report all losses of information to oversight. If the IRS is to be believed on the matter Lerner's lost emails were not reported until she was asked for them. The matter is going before a judge, and a special prosecutor may soon appear, whether Eric Holder wants one or not.

Obamanation, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No wonder that the USA is such a fu*ked up country right now, these people are not even capable to lie properly let alone manage a government and the country.

gworld, Jun 29, 2014 IP
    Obamanation likes this.