1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GoDaddy vs. Namecheap

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by velocity834, Sep 9, 2006.

?

GoDaddy or NameCheap

1. GoDaddy

44 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. NameCheap

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  1. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Namecheap doesnt upsell you and throw useless shit in your face, their interface is meh and I don't like their name either.
    on a more serious note: Why namecheap is better

Helge Sverre, Jun 22, 2014 IP
  2. DriveHosting

DriveHosting Member

Best Answers:
    I think go daddy would win that in terms of support, name cheap is cheap but what exactly do they offer over godaddy. Also godaddy is its own company as stated above although not a fact I do believe namechap is a reseller

DriveHosting, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  3. ALFRED CHEONG

ALFRED CHEONG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i love namecheap . as the domain name " namecheap " means it is cheap to buy domain name there . cheer !!

ALFRED CHEONG, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  4. -jay-

-jay- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for price : godaddy.
    for control panel. Namecheap.

-jay-, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  5. Drumrocker365

Drumrocker365 Member

Best Answers:
    Namecheap by far. I LOVE how simple and clean it is. I also love it because you can pay EASILY (I know some other companies support it but it's hard to use) with PayPal.

Drumrocker365, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  6. stilleyes

stilleyes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not like I want to throw my preference in anyone's face, but since this topic is still open for discussion, I was thinking maybe I want to let others know what I think.

First off, I really am turned off by "advertising behemoths", with pockets that seem to be deeper than Hades: simply because they can be terrible sniveling service providers in the long run (talking from experience) . The registrar of the two that fits this description is Godaddy. Godaddy has not made profits since 2009, and that speaks volumes in itself.

What that means is that we have a loss-afflicted registrar that's doing its best to lure in customers with $0.99 offers and then charge the industry's most expensive rates for renewals as well as other perks that either are free or cost so little on other registrars. These perks include but not limited to whois privacy, extra domain mails...

On the other hand is a stable registrar Namecheap. Now I'd like to separate my standing for this registrar from it's name, and that's because Godaddy can make Namecheap offers look expensive on the outset. Going forward, I feel more comfy signing up for Namecheap without going through the fine print unlike Godaddy. Stability means less surprises and rather unfortunately less coupons, but if that's what I get to lose to get a peace of mind, so be it.

I like Godaddy's interface tho', and I do hope Godaddy stays in business. There are so many of us who have Godaddy to thank when starting off in the IM industry courtesy of the avalanche of entry offers. I'd be selfish and unfair to take a go at them without giving them a thumb for that. But that's as low as I'd hats off to them.

It's Namecheap all the way for me now and in the immediate future. Although, I'm being optimistic of Google domains, I wouldn't want to be an early adopter.

~Dan

stilleyes, Jun 29, 2014 IP
    sunilmamo likes this.
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no question that Namecheap is the better domain name registrar of the two. With your initial registration you get a free year of Whoisguard privacy protection. Afterward, you can get Whoisguard for $0.99 per year with the coupon code WGSPECIAL. As mentioned, Namecheap does not bombard you with advertisements for upsells of mostly worthless stuff. Namecheap's domain control panel may not be the most intuitive, but once you understand it you can move around it pretty fast. Free DNS, URL redirects, email forwarding, Namecheap has most of the features one has come to expect from a top-notch registrar. And Namecheap does not have a history of seizing domain names when someone alleges you sent them a spam email, even if the email is as innocent as a link exchange request.

That said, Namecheap is not perfect. They have had some issues with their DNS such as DDoS attacks and slow DNS response times once in a great while. Most of the time Namecheap's DNS works fine. I had domains with Go Daddy and moved them all out to Namecheap in 2007 and have been using Namecheap exclusively as my registrar since.

I looked at Go Daddy's $0.99 domain name deal. Yes, you can get a domain name for $0.99 for the first year and $9.99 each year afterward. But the Privacy Protection costs $7.99 per year. Namecheap's privacy protection costs $0.99 with coupon code WGSPECIAL. Add up the costs and you are not saving anything over Namecheap. In fact, if you register for multiple years with privacy protection, Namecheap is going to be much cheaper.

billzo, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  8. changbietvisao

changbietvisao Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like both
    Godaddy is easier to use and cheaper
    Namecheap is easier to buy !

changbietvisao, Jun 29, 2014 IP