1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Sell Your Website - an Extensive Guide

Discussion in 'General Business' started by DomainMagnate, Jun 19, 2012.

1. holyhermit

holyhermit Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting such an elaborate guide. I am sure it's going to help a lot of members here. Do you also deal in domains?

holyhermit, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  2. allenzamora

allenzamora Member

Best Answers:
    This is quite extensive. Your post is well appreciated, and I'll be sure to keep this in mind when the time comes for me to flip a couple of my websites. Thank you! :cool:

allenzamora, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  3. livingmylife

livingmylife Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks DM for great post! I just want to add that if people are interested in this form of online income (the more different income streams you have coming in the better) to TAKE ACTION NOW! As pointed out, you can't just decide that you like this idea, create a new website today, and flip it tomorrow. I suggest that you plan for the future, set goals, for example make create 1 new website a week, a month, whatever your schedule allows (or what you want to allow)n starting this week after doing all the research you need (kw research etc). Take care of these sites, grow and nurture them and concentrate on what features that will entice a buyer to pay your asking price. So then when 3, 6, 12 months roll around you are ready to sell a site that actually has features! Time flies when you have multiple projects going on so then you'll look up and be able to reap yet another income source! - Sorry I did not read through this whole post yet so if I repeated, sorry, and good luck to everyone!!

livingmylife, Aug 15, 2012 IP
  4. kuslahne

kuslahne Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing a good post. I am learning a lot from this.

kuslahne, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  5. James Byun

James Byun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the awesome post, very informative for people who want to one day sell their site.

James Byun, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  6. deekay.caglin

deekay.caglin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very nice read thank you . Do you have or know anyone that has a Buying website faq like this one? PM me or post please

deekay.caglin, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  7. steveschmidt85

steveschmidt85 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is first time I am reading good post regarding website selling and buying process. I had really no idea that there are such sites available which help you to sell and buy websites. If your site is already earning good money so selling the site at good price point is really good idea and you can also work on other site.

steveschmidt85, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  8. drelaw2002

drelaw2002 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Good info on the buying/selling process thru escrow.com, I would definitely go that route

drelaw2002, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  9. virtuous2012

virtuous2012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Michael,
    The information you have provided is absolutely informative not only to newbies but to experienced marketers as well. I am trying to sell my sites but so far have not been successful, they have no revenue although selling amazon products. Your advice on site investors is a good one. Selling sites with or without domains. All in all 149 starter sites with no earnings which will be one year old in February 2013- this would need serious buyer. Michael if you know of site investors - refer them to me please.

virtuous2012, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  10. Bigbash

Bigbash Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    These posts is nice. All these will be helpful for all.

Bigbash, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  11. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's hard to sell sites with no revenue. Consider it from from a perspective investor's point of view: you may have spent countless hours on updating and improving those sites and feel that you should be well compensated for your work, but a buyer sees it as just a bunch of sites with some content and no revenue, which are fairly cheap to build, so not worth much.
    Flippa is a good place to try to sell starter sites, especially since it only costs $9 to list those. You'd also have better luck with this if you point out some plans and ideas on how to expnd and promote them to start generating some significant revenue.

DomainMagnate, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  12. Levina G

Levina G Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wow Great guide for beginner sellers, It's been a while since I've seen a reasonable publish in this area.
    Thanks a lot for the publish Michael.........

Levina G, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  13. sniper2008

sniper2008 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree a lot with this one. I've experienced that there is a lot harder to sell a non-revenue website than an established websites with revenue. Thanks DM for such quality guidance. I really like it as I pressed the thumb up to your post :D

I believe this will help a lot of people in selling their sites :) hope so.

sniper2008, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  14. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    I've gotten a bunch of pms, emails and what can only be described as constant harassment :p on facebook from people asking various questions on buying and selling websites and other aspects of the business.
    So I've decided to share my experience in a more structured way. I'm starting a free course here through a weekly newsletter. There is a limited number of spots, so hurry up.

Also a few timely updates on what changed over the past two years in terms of selling sites on flippa:

1. With the introductions of flippa verifications it's highly advised to collect 3 full months of adsense revenue and GA data so that you can later confirm them through the flippa system on your auction - this will provide a huge benefit and a boost in buyer confidence. Also be sure to upload verified GA stats on your flippa auction. For a sample of how it looks check out some of my recent auctions
    2. Flippa fees are up! A whooping 10% success fee now, but its reach among buyers is unparalleled. Still you should think twice and possibly list sites on DP or other much cheaper places first, or at least message some people who post wanted threads to see if you might just get a good quick deal for your site.
    3. If you have a high revenue, high value site, with expected sale price of over $3k you should buy a premium update on flippa for $250, It's expensive, but will almost always pay off, as you get a lot more attention to your auction.
    4. Reply to messages and especially comments. Be courteous, even to people who are not. Offer reasonable explanations and answers
    5. Explain in some detail what maintenance for the site would entail to give buyers a better idea.

DomainMagnate, May 6, 2014 IP
  15. Prakhar Jain

Prakhar Jain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I was able to make $7K because of your guide. Thank you michael for writing this post. I am highly obliged to you.

Prakhar Jain, May 12, 2014 IP
  16. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    thanks, great to know it was helpful!

DomainMagnate, Jun 6, 2014 IP
  17. janinaherz

janinaherz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice post, covering almost all basic points, such a worth reading it.
    It seems that you have put in sincere efforts and spare lots of time towards it.

One of the active member from DP himself mention that after reading this he is sure to sell his website, this shows that it definitely help newbies as well.

Anyways Thanks for the indepth detail.
    Waiting for another one from you.

janinaherz, Jun 26, 2014 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  18. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    DomainMagnate, Oct 19, 2017 IP
    holyhermit likes this.