1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this good or bad marketing?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Domoner, Jun 20, 2014.

A colleague of mine created a micro-niche fitness site which goes after a small target market. One month back his website had 12 articles all wrote by him, today I was speaking to him and his site now has the same amount of articles but he has designed them better, monetized them better; they're stunning right now.

I have conflicting opinions..

Would it be more beneficial to just keep posting fresh new content twice a week for SEO etc. (quantity over quality) or is his approach of making existing articles stunning and focusing on user experience better.

I'd really like to hear some opinions, thanks.

Domoner, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  2. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Both things should be done, updating the content, but if can`t be done often, at least the quality standards should be high, it`s no point in having a good rank for something that noone will ever read because of the bad quality.

webcosmo, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  3. Beck800

Beck800 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think posting content twice a week would be highly benefiticial for your website. I also reccomend creating great social media content that people will want to share. Check out how: http://beckswebsites.com/social-media-content/

Beck800, Jun 23, 2014 IP
  4. JCTunstall

JCTunstall Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agree - hate to say it but I think "meh" or "bad" content is just as good as no content. Frequency is good and very helpful, but quality is a must!

JCTunstall, Jun 23, 2014 IP
  5. Pro Market X

Pro Market X Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe both quantity and quality are important in nowadays SEO. Just let him make sure every article he post is in the highest quality as possible because this will help him with conversion.

Pro Market X, Jun 24, 2014 IP
  6. David Tile

David Tile Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you're starting out, its important to make a great first impression with your initial articles. However, moving forward, posting regular orginal content is a must.

David Tile, Jun 24, 2014 IP
  7. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    why not both? I'm sure he's done fine-tuning his old articles. Time for him to post new ones, and yes twice a week is good.

Ethan Alvin, Jun 24, 2014 IP
  8. janinaherz

janinaherz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should approach both the ways, why are you making choice and get confused.

As you said he has designed them better, monetized them better; they're stunning right now, so it definitely makes good impression? no.1
    And it would be even more beneficial to keep posting fresh new content twice a week for SEO from now onwards. no.2

janinaherz, Jun 25, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  9. Anis Mizi

Anis Mizi Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I will suggest both. He should post fresh contents on a regular basis and update them time to time if needed. No matter how many contents he posts per week. It can be 1,2,5 or 7. But he should post the same amount of contents per week. That is good SEO practice.

Anis Mizi, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  10. Jake Rigdon

Jake Rigdon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Posting fresh content is way more important than going down the rabbit hole of tweaking old content.

Jake Rigdon, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  11. Khadaji

Khadaji Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll chime in and argue for fresh new content. I have sites with content still on 'em that I'd be ashamed of writing today - but my time is better spent writing new content than it is in re-writing old content.

Just my opinion, of course.

But that's what I'd do - and what I actually do. Once written, I might re-write it to post to Web 2.0 properties, but I never go back and re-write what's already posted. I'm always looking in terms of footprint size. Is it better to have a small puddle of high quality content, or an ocean that contains some less than stellar content - I'll go with the ocean every time.

By spending the time writing new content rather than polishing old content - you're making your online footprint larger - and ending up with more keywords for the search engines to index.

But your mileage may vary...

Khadaji, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  12. Jake Rigdon

Jake Rigdon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Lol, same here. I'd just add that it might be a good idea to remove any old content that looks foolish in restrospect or undercuts your authority. For example, a post on a tech blog about how "The iPod is Just a Fad."

Jake Rigdon, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  13. ladymacbeth9

ladymacbeth9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it behooves us to ensure that what we have posted even in the past, doesn't make us look really foolish. It does take time to update it, but in some cases it's worth it. Secondary to that, sometimes you find something you've written that isn't at all noteworthy anymore and you honestly don't think its worth fixing, so I just take it down and trash it.. One less article isn't going to matter as much as one that someone finds where you told them to do something that was mildly egregious 10 years ago when you started and glaringly stupid today..

ladymacbeth9, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  14. Asif Aziz

Asif Aziz Member

Best Answers:
    From experience, i can tell you that posting fresh content consistently will work better in Googles eyes. Just make sure the content you're posting is engaging, in-depth & unique.

You can't go wrong with that approach.

Az

Asif Aziz, Jun 27, 2014 IP
  15. Khadaji

Khadaji Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, fortunately, I've never plumbed the depths of being that wrong...

Its usually along the lines of not giving the very best possible advice... you spend enough time in Internet Marketing, you learn from your mistakes. Even if they really aren't exactly mistakes, but a lack of focusing on what's truly important.

Khadaji, Jun 28, 2014 IP
  16. Randall Magwood

Randall Magwood Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have to go with this option. If the purpose of his articles was to enhance the quality of his email list, maybe my answer would be different. But for the sole purpose of getting more new leads/hits/subscribers... i would put out ONE, 500+ word article per day to attract more new people.

Randall Magwood, Jun 28, 2014 IP
  17. darrinm

darrinm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Quality is always important, but you do want to keep current.
    Now that your quality standard for your articles has been set, only post articles that are up to par with your new standards.

It also matters what your traffic source is.

Example:
    If it's SEO via Google, then you don't need to update as often since new people will keep searching that niche.
    If it's Social media traffic via Twitter, etc, then you'll need to keep the fresh articles coming, since you can't keep spamming the same thing all day.

Hope that helped!

darrinm, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  18. broombroom

broombroom Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is important to achieve a balance of both UNLESS you don't care about Google rankings. Theoretically you could only post a handful of super awesome articles that everyone shares and loves and make a lot of cash but that is very hard to do. Alternatively if you publish lower quality articles often then you may lose a few visitors because they don't like the quality of your work this could have a negative effect on your rankings. Google requires high quality content. I personally don't waste time going back and fixing up my old articles unless there is an obvious glaring problem. I prefer to spend time producing the best content I can at the time.

broombroom, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  19. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, both is the correct answer, quantity and quality. quantity is important for pinging and submitting new content, good for SEO. Quality ensures that readers keep coming to your website, word of mouth and branding.

20. Mihai Alexandru

Mihai Alexandru Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well both of them should be taken in account but it depends on your traffic source. As @darrinm said, if it's all about social media then even 2 articles per week are not enough. Try to create content and make it look user-friendly on the same time.

Mihai Alexandru, Jun 29, 2014 IP