1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GoDaddy cPanel hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Jeffr2014, Jun 7, 2014.

I had some of my websites hosted with GoDaddy for 17 years and while there were ups and downs, the service was bearable.
    Lately, it looks like their servers are almost permanently blacklisted by Microsoft - any emails sent to Hotmail accounts are bounced with the messages like this:
    Unfortunately, messages from 68.178.252.232 weren't sent. We recommend that you contact your Internet service provider. The problem is that too many unwanted messages have been sent from the following IP address above
    The IP addresses in the messages are different, but they are all of GoDaddy mail servers. After receiving first of such messages, I called support and they suggested switching to dedicated IP, which I did. It didn't have any effect, as all mail apparently goes through their mail servers, which are either overloaded or send too much spam, or both...
    Now, their support tells me to switch to cPanel hosting plan with dedicated IP - according to them if I switch then Hotmail servers will see this IP instead of IPs of their mail servers... Sounds like bullsh*t to me, but I am no expert. I honestly suspect that they are just using it as an excuse to switch me from older hosting plan that I'm using now. I am really hesitant to change plans as every change with GoDaddy seems to be causing more problem than before.
    Any opinions/suggestions?

Jeffr2014, Jun 7, 2014 IP
  2. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't have to change anything for mail to be delivered properly to any 3rd party email service such as Hotmail or Gmail, etc.. the host should clear their IP from any blacklists and correctly fix the issue, instead of mitigating it by giving you a dedicated IP.

So while possible, I don't see why that is their ultimate solution.

ironcladservers, Jun 7, 2014 IP
  3. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A dedicated IP address WILL fix the issue, assuming that IP isn't blacklisted as well. So they aren't BS'ing you there. As ironcladservers said, that should certainly not be the solution though, especially since I'm guessing you will be paying more for that plan with the dedicated IP. They should work on getting their IPs off the blacklists. Unfortunately, when you pack thousands of users on a server, this is what is to be expected. All it takes is one of those users sending spam, and the IP has the potential of getting blacklisted.

WSWD, Jun 8, 2014 IP
  4. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys (ironcladservers and WSWD), but the point is that I ALREADY HAVE DEDICATED IP in my hosting plan and it doesn't affect email because it is still send from their spammy mail servers :-(
    The question here is whether changing the hosting plan to cPanel one will change the topology somehow i.e. whether in this case the mail will flow directly from the server where my site is hosted to Hotmail (bypasing GoDaddy mail servers)... This is what GoDaddy support says but somehow I doubt this. I absolutely have no trust in them, most of my interactions with GoDaddy support in the past year were pitiful. I really don't know where they find these idiots to work in support but some of the answers I received are worth to be published online as a joke...

Jeffr2014, Jun 8, 2014 IP
  5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ahhhhhh okay. I missed that part. Then it just depends on how they have things configured on their cPanel servers, and you will need to ask them. On our cPanel servers, they are configured so that the clients use their dedicated IPs to send mail, but they can also be configured to use the main server's IP, even if the client has a dedicated IP.

So unfortunately, there's really no way of anyone here knowing. You will have to ask their techs. how the servers are configured. But they most definitely CAN be configured to allow you to use your own IP instead of the main one.

WSWD, Jun 8, 2014 IP
  6. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    It is Godaddy so the question becomes at some level will they configure it this way. The next time your hosting is up for renewal consider looking into a top notch provider with longevity in the industry. Godaddy offers hosting but better can be found. Many in the hosting industry core consider Godaddy to be more of a domain seller over a "superior" web hosting provider. Make some pre-sales calls to a few providers if you are willing to consider moving your sites. Sometimes a competitors insight can be illuminating.

JPC-Sabrina, Jun 11, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  7. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but the problem is finding this "top notch provider", I am yet to see one :)
    Placing pre-sales calls is not an answer, everyone claims that they are "top notch" but the problems start when they start hosting your site. Reviews are mostly useless (even at webhostingtalk.com) when you read the reviews you see right away that most positive reviews are fake and negative are real...

Jeffr2014, Jun 12, 2014 IP
  8. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are lots of good providers, and I can pretty much tell you right away there's no "perfect fit for everyone" so everyone will have a different view of what the "best" provider is. You need to find one that suits your sites requirements, captures your interest (whether that be through submitting test/sales tickets and gauging their responses and timing). Problems may start when you start hosting your site on any provider (since a lot are setup in different ways), its how they work with you to solve those issues in a timely manner that counts. Other than that, my only other suggest is make sure they have a money back guarantee so that you try it out, maybe don't put anything mission critical as a test to gauge the quality of the hosting and so on.

ironcladservers, Jun 12, 2014 IP
  9. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The great thing about shared hosting is that it's SO easy to move from one provider to another. If you find a host who doesn't meet your uptime requirements, support requirements, etc., simply pick up and move elsewhere.

WSWD, Jun 13, 2014 IP
  10. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy used to use their own control panel before switching to cPanel. So they finally made some kind of decision in favor of their Shared Hosting customers. As far as for a "top-notch provider", I'd say that any good company has to be sustainable in its business and to own its infrastructure, AS and network. Most Shared web hosts you'd see out there just resellers, which means that they don't have control over the network and infrastructure, could not apple policies and offer a Service Level Agreement.

HostColor, Jun 15, 2014 IP
  11. hranitel

hranitel Banned

Best Answers:
    Using iFastNet.com service, you have no problems at all.
    They have a quality tech staff which is online around the clock.
    All premium hosting accounts are hosted on 100% SSD powered servers providing ultra fast server disk I/O to hosted websites and MySQL queries.

hranitel, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  12. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that it can be difficult to determine which host is best for you by reading reviews that may or may not be as trust worthy as you would like. I believe that the longevity of a company can be a good indication of the level of service, uptime and overall performance you will receive. The market is competitive and when you see a host that has over a decade or more of experience then you can generally determine that they are still doing business because they are serving the needs of their clients in the best possible way.

JPC-Sabrina, Jun 19, 2014 IP
  13. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not true. GoDaddy was there for ages (I have my business site with them for 17 years) but they gradually become worse and worse. I have problems with them every couple of months. Their support is a joke - regardless what you ask them by email you get back some default messages that have nothing to do with your question. When you call support they try to sell you something else. I had many situations when their support recommended changes that helped with my problem but introduced another one. This is why I am so hesitant to switch to another hosting plan with GD - it may fix the problem with email but almost guaranteed to break something else :-(

Jeffr2014, Jun 20, 2014 IP
    WSWD likes this.
  14. WebHostDog

WebHostDog Banned

Best Answers:
    Having dedicated IP address with the hosting does not mean you will be mailing from this IP address. It is used for installing SSL certificate and accessing your webmail etc.

WebHostDog, Jul 31, 2014 IP