1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need advices to properly evaluate and sell my site

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lesportifs, Jun 17, 2014.

Hello

I'm looking to sell one of my sites because I lack of time and I need your advices.

I don't know what price I should aim for and also how to sell it without being scammed.

Here are infos :

- Domain is at godaddy and hosting at hostgator (all registered since 2010)
    - This is a niche content website but it could have an online store on it
    - Earnings of the past 12 months (ads) : $ 4385

- All the content is unique
    - Wordpress Premium Theme
    - No PageRank but domain authority is 15 and homepage authority is 24
    - All backlinks have been obtained naturally (around 1200 according to Google Webmaster Tools)
    - Comes with active social networks and few hundreds of targeted emails

How I can value this site ? How would you sell it without being scammed ?

Thank you

lesportifs, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  2. O-D-T

O-D-T Member

Best Answers:
    Web projects are commonly sold for they are supposed to earn in next 12 months. But this is a very rough estimate and I would say that there are several factors that all your buyers will be interested in:

1) Last year earnings - you have mentioned that; but is it still, increasing, decreasing in last months?
    2) How much work (per week or month) is needed to KEEP those earnings. You say $4385 a year, which is like $350 per month. But if there is no need to do anything to keep it, it is something different than when it requires 100 hours of work to keep it ...
    3) Why do you sell? You mention lack of time, so then this is very closely related to 2).
    4) Is there a recent big news that directly affects this project? It is not uncommon that people want to sell their project just after a major competitor appears on the market, or a new technology is revealed or something like that, which turns the previously well earning project to ... worthless one.

In the past, we have successfully sold our projects on flippa.com, which can also be used to precisely evaluate the value of your web - simply put a listing there and start with price of $1 and let the market set the price ...
    However, flippa.com is not free and you pay a fee even if you do not sell (no bidders or price not reached your minimal limit).

O-D-T, Jun 17, 2014 IP
    lesportifs likes this.
  3. Joe@AdPatron

Joe@AdPatron Member

Best Answers:
    Try auctioning it off, let the market dictate.

Joe@AdPatron, Jun 17, 2014 IP
    lesportifs likes this.
  4. BoostSoftware

BoostSoftware Active Member

Best Answers:
    Regardless of how many competitors are on the scene, anyone who has something that has potential can sell if they are realistic about what they're asking. You just need to be persistant and find a way to keep selling your site to a venture capitalist who sees the potential. Besides, the person buying your site will probably be one that has the budget to beat the competitors in various promotional efforts.

BoostSoftware, Jun 18, 2014 IP
    lesportifs likes this.
  5. lesportifs

lesportifs Member

Best Answers:
    @ O-D-T :

The revenues is decreasing a little bit but this is because I lack of time.
    I currently work about 3 hours per month on the site. To really optimize the revenues to the best, the site would need 1 hour of work per day.
    I'm selling it because I lack of time and the sale would bring quick money for other projects.
    Everything is good for the niche. According to google, the searches about the niche are going higher and higher.

What are the fees on Flippa even if you don't sell it ?

@ Joe@AdPatron :

Ok I want to try this but is there a way to sell it let's say at a minimum price ? Sorry but I'm really a noob about this subject and are auctions safe ? I mean, I don't want to get scammed.

Thank you

lesportifs, Jun 19, 2014 IP
  6. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Hi lesportifs,
    it's hard to put a value on a website without seeing it or knowing more detailed info about the niche, source of traffic, revenue and additional assets.
    Sites can sell from a few months worth of revenue to a few years. So it varies widely. Feel free to pm me the url and I'll give you a better estimate.

At flippa the min is $19 for listing a website for sale and you pay an extra 10% of the selling price if it sells. However it's quite hard to sell sites on there if you haven't sold a site before and you would need to have proper stats for revenue, traffic and many verifiable proofs to gather significant interest among buyers. In order to not get scammed don't use paypal, but rather use escrow.com or a similar 3rd party system that provides an escrow process.

DomainMagnate, Jun 19, 2014 IP
  7. Rickeo

Rickeo Active Member

Best Answers:
    The main think I'd say is don't advertise on small market places since your website has a nice income and would be a nice investment for someone $4k a year isn't something to grumble at I'd consider hiring someone to sell the site for you or use a large marketplace where you'll get a fair price.

Rickeo, Jun 19, 2014 IP
  8. O-D-T

O-D-T Member

Best Answers:
    O-D-T, Jun 21, 2014 IP