1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Contact details - does the email address matter?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sarahk, Jun 11, 2014.

I'm just looking at some of the search results for a site I'm involved with. We have different contact pages depending on which part of the business you want. Some of these have off site email addresses (eg @gmail.com or @hotmail.com) and some have them using the domain name.

I'd like to see everyone switch to using the domain name because it's more professional but I've also noticed that in the search results the emails are being used as keywords and reinforce the brand when people search for the brand and then a location.

Is there a genuine SEO advantage to using the domain or is this an anomaly?

Solved! View solution.
    sarahk, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm aware that humans find a proper email address more appealing. I was discussing the SEO implications. None of your suggestions bore any relevance to the question.

sarahk, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  3. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I guess yes it matters I have seen when emails come from some authoritative i.e not gmail or yahoo but when email from specific domain say "" it gives a feel that admin or .... is on the other side while the gmail or yahoo id can be created by just anyone doesn't give that professional appeal.

John Dave, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  4. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There is an unwritten scale or "professionality" based on the email address. Beginning with hotmail and comcast addresses and all the way through yahoo, gmail and finally an email on your own domain. Basically if you want to look professional best is have various email address by topic on your company domain, or company's email server domain, like the big companies do.
    Gmails are basically good for G+ profiles, authoriship and these sort of seo aspects, so it's good to have one as well.

DomainMagnate, Jun 12, 2014 IP
  5. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Purely from an SEO standpoint it should not matter. There are various ways to optimize the Subject and Content of the actual email message and this is what makes the difference for search engines. Apart from that, as its clear from previous answers, your main benefit from using a domain-tied email would be to establish trust and gain a more professional outlook for your prospects. ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 12, 2014 IP
    sarahk and dcristo like this.
  6. Steve_Polonski

Steve_Polonski Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with guys above. As for me, I trust more when i see email@domain_name.
    Also I want to add, that it is important for website authority to have "contacts" page. Ideally it should include:
    • email;
    • names;
    • phone number(s);
    • adress;
    • map.
    And dot forget about having "about us" page. Good Luck!

Steve_Polonski, Jun 12, 2014 IP
  7. DiggitySEO

DiggitySEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Sarah,

I definitely think it can have an SEO impact.

Let's say you're Costco. If you're switching from something like: (A) to (B) ...

For the term "Dallas Costco", Google will give more ranking preference for the page that has the (B) email address. Especially if the term brand term "Costco" isn't listed any where on the page in text.

Even though your keyword is part of an email address string, Google will still use it to determine on-page relevance.

Diggity

DiggitySEO, Jun 13, 2014 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but why would you send an email with your brand name nowhere to be found? Even if you have Costco in the signature its still profitable from an SEO standpoint, compared to the actual brand name in the email address. And have you practically observed Google giving preferences based on email addresses solely, like a case-study or something maybe. I am really interested to see if anyone dedicated their time to checking that because logically it should not matter at all. ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 13, 2014 IP
    Wanting to see everyone use company/site email details is clearly the right way to be going/thinking Sarah for all the obvious reasons you will of course be well aware of. I personally don't trust sites that use hotmail/gmail/yahoo etc etc as although I know many reasons why it's useful to make use of such addresses the usual John/Jane Do is more likely to first think it is unprofessional and quite possibly scammy looking.

Now as for using actual site relevant email addy's in a way that can be of benefit to SEO there are ways where such things can indeed make sense from an SEO perspective.

You say yourself you are using actual pages for differing contacts.

This means that those pages also have URL's and all that follows.

So let's say you have a page for contact with a URL along these lines >

aussie-carpet-fitters-.com/

Just that one URL alone gives you a number of pretty clear human and machine readable and useful search phrases. I think just touching on this subject as I have done shows that indeed there can be advantages and so IMHO the answer is "Yes" (It matters!).

I certainly try to use contact page URL's and what follows on that page for SEO advantages in a wholesome and acceptable way as it is IMHO another place where an opportunity presents it's self that I must look at to see if it can be utilised in a way that won't act in any detrimental way for the site.

I hope thta gives you some useful food for thought, just as clever use of email addresses might also give SE spiders useful food for thought (to process) to.

PS Google "Local SEO" plugins for WP Sarah and you might find a few useful links...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Revelations-Decoder, Jun 16, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We're more along the lines of aussie-carpet-fitters-.com/melbourne/contact

but on the page we give full contact details along with a form. Really, we'd rather they picked up the phone but many of our customers user pre-pay with zero credit - we do provide an 0800 though.

sarahk, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  11. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I get your thinking Sarah but to my mind that approach is slightly missing some of the possible SEO benefits

BTW I added a PS b4 noticing your reply above....

Revelations-Decoder, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    One of those plugins has caught my attention - I'll create a test site and have a play. thanks

sarahk, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  13. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    It actually also varies based on niche. Some would rather send an email to an address, others would fill a form, or give you call. What sort of area does the business operate in?

DomainMagnate, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Renting out portable accommodation - delivered

sarahk, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  15. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    Having a contact form might be best, for the more important pages at least, as it's easier for the user to fill some details and send a note, rather than copy the email address, go to the email client, send an email. Additionally if this is about different locations - you can just have the visitors pick a location from the list. If you're on WP - check out the plugin contact form 7.

16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Isn't contact form 7 great - use it on many sites. I've got the human side covered, this was just looking for extra leverage to get the emails changed over.

sarahk, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  17. DomainMagnate

Best Answers:
    oh, ok! Then just tell them their gmail's and yahoo's can be hacked and the hacker would get access to all the clients, so own domain emails are usually a lot more secure.

sarahk likes this.