1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adobe Brackets Software

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Hackinat, Jun 3, 2014.

Is anyone familiar with the web development software "Brackets" by Adobe Systems? I came across it doing search for development platforms and the description/capabilities really caught my interest. I'm hoping someone may have some experience with this software and can provide me an honest opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Hackinat, Jun 3, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I installed it and it is the default editor for some file types. It loads quickly and doesn't overload my PC which is good for quick edits.

I'd use brackets before notepad+ or editpad.

For proper coding work I prefer netbeans.

sarahk, Jun 3, 2014 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am pleasantly surprised that Adobe is sponsoring an open source, free (MIT license) application; with Linux support, too. It does look interesting, if limited. Maybe that's just me. I've been using Emacs for 15 years and while I make excursions in other editors, they all seem limiting to me. I expect to be able to handle any and all editing related function from within my editor.

On the whole, good for Adobe.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 5, 2014 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Alright, let's see how big a steaming pile of crap this is... Now I don't mean to assume that halfway through downloading, but for something that's supposed to be lightweight and simple, a 39 megabyte MSI isn't inspiring confidence... nor is the two and a half minute install on a i7.

Let's see.. UI ignores the OS system metric, illegible colour contrasts in the UI, that stupid project management crap, bloated slow battery chewing scripttardery (hey, the whole thing is a HTML 5 crapplet!) no way to turn off that annoying illegible acid trip of colour syntax highlighting, no provision for having multiple windows open at the same time...

Wow, this is a bigger pile of crap than Dreamweaver -- EXCELLENT example though of just how useless HTML 5 / JS crapplets pretending to be real applications actually are. Particularly loving how I can outrun how fast it can put text to the screen; I've not heard the keyboard buffer full beep in about two decades.

Yeah, not impressed. Big shock, when it comes to products for web developers, the only thing about Adobe Software that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting it's use.

deathshadow, Jun 5, 2014 IP
  5. Veer#

Veer# Member

Best Answers:
    Brackets is very simple. Just hate that we cannot right click to copy/cut/paste.

Veer#, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  6. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    Really? They haven't provided this functionality? That must be really crappy then.

Karuna17, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  7. Veer#

Veer# Member

Best Answers:
    It is good if you take that part off.

Veer#, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've only spent hours using Brackets - because it's not my primary editor - and never noticed the lack of right click copy/paste. Why use a mouse when a ctrl+c will do? Learn to type, people!

sarahk, Jun 16, 2014 IP
    wiicker95, kk5st and ryan_uk like this.
  9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Out of curiosity (my being a Linux, Emacs user) how do you select from the keyboard? E.g. select the next three words, or sentences or paragraphs?

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I frequently use the mouse in my right hand to select while my left is on the keyboard poised to ctrl+c, ctrl+v - quicker than right clicking to copy and paste.

However, to answer your question - and I do this just as much as use the mouse - shift + arrow to select lines (up/down) or characters (left/right). To select whole words shift + ctrl + left/right

sarahk, Jun 17, 2014 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  11. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I did not know that. I probably should have, though, since it does work in Linux It does seem you must use the mouse to set the mark, but that's better than trying to select with the mouse. Thanks.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 18, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  12. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can't highlight text and move it with the mouse, there is not a very good way to split view 3-4 files at once(Like sublime), I found that it runs quite slowly, and there is just something weird about how it feels like its delayed or lagged but its really not.

I wanted to like it, but after trying it... meeh, I'd rather use Notepad++ or Sublime Text.

Helge Sverre, Jun 19, 2014 IP
  13. newzone

newzone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have tried Brackets in Ubuntu but lacks native interface. The good thing, has a lot of extensions.

newzone, Jun 25, 2014 IP