1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Twitter Causing High Bounce Rate

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by Foxxy, Jun 6, 2014.

I get pretty good traffic from twitter, but the problem is that those people normally just read the article I link to and then leave. This causes my bounce rate to get really high. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to counter this.

Foxxy, Jun 6, 2014 IP
  2. eddiecon

eddiecon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I experience the same thing. I think that's the nature of Twitter users. It's the same for other social media sites. Twitter isn't as bad as StumbleUpon though, but Twitter isn't as good as Facebook either, as far as bounce rates go.

Most Twitter users are on their mobile device, so they're not in a position to stay on a site and browse around. They just get the content they need and go back to using Twitter.

eddiecon, Jun 10, 2014 IP
  3. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought about doing a 1 second redirect to the same url, but something about it seemed dodgy and proned to failure, so I didn't bother.

Foxxy, Jun 13, 2014 IP
  4. Xerver Support

Xerver Support Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Xerver Support, Jun 13, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  5. uand.eye

uand.eye Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could write the article in 2 parts. They have to move to the next page to read the full story. Or you could add links to another related article - use a catchy headline to entice them to click and keep reading.

uand.eye, Jun 13, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  6. BoostSoftware

BoostSoftware Active Member

Best Answers:
    The idea of writing an article in two parts might work well. Find a way to keep your visitors coming back, and try setting up some contact forms where they have to comfirm their email to reply to get them to join your mailing list.

BoostSoftware, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  7. David Tile

David Tile Active Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to look at your site's traffic flow and see where users that do stay are going on your site.

David Tile, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  8. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is not Twitter but if they clink a link to read an article because of the tweet you sent out, then maybe they just skimmed through to see what they wanted and left.

Here's what you do:

Put a video on the page, find a relevant video that they want to see and they will spend more time on your page reading and/or watching video. This is very simple but it works to keep people on your site, just use a video that is more than 30 seconds. :)

cronik, Jul 7, 2014 IP
  9. KasparP

KasparP Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are a few reasons you might be having a high bounce rate
    Alot of clicks are accidental and alot of people dont expect a browser to pop up when they click on it and as soon as it does they exit out. If they actually did mean to click it, having to wait more than a few seconds for it to load will make alot of people decide its just not worth it and bounce. You need to make sure your site is fully optimized, if youre using WP install a cache plugin and a menu plugin. Dont send to really java script heavy sites.

I recommend splitting the article with a next button as mentioned above. You could also install a plugin such as taboola or content.ad to place relevant content at the buttom of your article so users continue to stay engaged.

KasparP, Jul 16, 2014 IP