1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips for Utilizing Reddit

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by sarah12, Aug 29, 2013.

Reddit is very picky user based service. it is not easy to be successful on reddit.
    The Front page of reddit it stood the possibility of receiving millions of views in a matter of hours.

Here are 3 tips for utilizing reddit.

1. The 10 % Rule

"It's perfectly fine to be a redditor with a website, it's not okay to be a website with a reddit account." - reddit’s self promotion page

You can’t utilize reddit like some people utilize Facebook pages or Twitter accounts. You can’t just submit links solely from your website. Reddit wants you to submit links from a wide variety of sources. If they see that you have submitted more than 10% of your contributions from one source, they may ban your account. Seriously.

The kicker is, when they ban your account, you will not know that you’re using a banned account. You’ll still be able to log in. They even let you submit new links. But you will notice that now none of your links get any upvotes. You’ll wonder what is going on. Well, reddit has “shadow banned” your account. They pretend to let you submit new links, but they don’t really let you submit new links.

They take self-promotion very seriously and have many protections in place to guard against people gaming or abusing their community. They have a self-promotion wiki page that you should read before you start using reddit.

2. Be active in the community

In addition to following the 10% rule, you need to become an active part of related reddit communities. There are thousands of different “subreddits” or categories, which are communities based around different topics. Due to the popularity of reddit, there is a subreddit for just about everything.

Each subreddit has its own set of rules and guidelines. These will be posted on the right sidebar of the subreddit page.

It is very important that you follow the rules at every subreddit that you frequent. Some of the subreddits don’t allow users to post image links. Other places only allow image links. If you break one of these rules, you probably will receive a warning or have your submitted link removed.

Reddit advises users to, “Give feedback to others, talk about issues that interest you, and be a good member of the community. redditors don't care that you have something to promote, they care what you think and that you have interesting things to say.”

You need to take this advice to heart. If you want success, you will need to spend time with the reddit communities that are relevant to your content.

3. Don’t promote your submitted links

When you submit a link to reddit, you must then leave it alone. Don’t ask for your Facebook followers or Twitter followers to up-vote your content on Reddit. If you do, you are breaking the rules:

“You should not ask for votes on reddit, even on your twitter or blog or forum - it will get your account banned, and in extreme cases can get your domain banned.”

Reddit means business regarding this rule. They have banned websites in the past. I’m sure they will band more websites in the future. So, resist the urge to ask people to upvote your link. The content you submit to reddit needs to stand on its own merits.

sarah12, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  2. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A quick way to check if you have been shadow banned is by opening an incognito tab(in chrome) and pasting the URL you are on to see if your comment or link is still there, if it is not, then you are shadow banned.

Helge Sverre, Sep 2, 2013 IP
    Karuna17 likes this.
  3. artofmarketing

artofmarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I personally get loads of traffic from Reddit but I agree with Sarah12, you have to do it the right way! If you won't you'll be banned very quickly. It is worth to invest the time because it is Free, Targeted, Unlimited Traffic!
    Good luck guys,
    Art

artofmarketing, Sep 2, 2013 IP
  4. andreealeau

andreealeau Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't know why but Reddit doesn't help me. I have problems with submiting the links, and it's not all the time about my links. They give me the line "you can post after 30 min", even that I didn't submitted from couple of days.

andreealeau, Sep 2, 2013 IP
  5. Ann Larson

Ann Larson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my experience reddit traffic is not worth much. Yes you do get a boost but these are not buyer traffic and they increases the bounce rate of your site.

Ann Larson, Sep 4, 2013 IP
  6. Helge Sverre

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That probably means you have been banned.
    It happened to me as well.

Helge Sverre, Sep 4, 2013 IP
  7. Ann Larson

Ann Larson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My account is still there, i did get a lot of traffic but they just comes and goes. Also reddit traffic are much more internet savvy.

8. Helge Sverre

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    When reddit bans you you can still login to your account, this is called "Shadow Banning".

9. Ann Larson

Ann Larson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What i meant is I still use that account to post other stuff just not my blog anymore. Also I GOT traffic from Reddit. And I can GET if i want to again. Its just these traffic are not worth much to me. That's what I wanted to share.

10. Helge Sverre

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ahh I see, your domain has probably been "banned".

I can speak for the worthiness of reddit traffic as i have not received a ton of it yet.

11. jpzygnerski

jpzygnerski Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. It's really easy to get traffic to your site (especially if it's a niche blog), but it's almost always new traffic. Redditors don't tend to stay on your site and join the community. It's great for getting boosts to certain posts, though. I worked on a site that would occasionally get almost 10,000 hits on our more popular content. But it's not as useful when they don't stick around.

Does anybody have any advice on that (how to retain traffic from reddit)?

jpzygnerski, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  12. Lasse Nielsen

Lasse Nielsen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great share. Social-sharing site Reddit has announced the addition of new benefits for Gold members as part of its efforts to further monetize the site without relying on more banner ads. Reddit Gold members now have access to a wide range of offers from the site’s retail partners, ranging from urban gardening accessories seller Urbilis to Goldbely, whose products include edible gold-plated bacon. Reddit is also using its partnership with clothing retailer Uniqloto launch its “Golden Tikkit” incentive program this week. Once a week, a randomly selected Reddit Gold member will get a private message with 24 hours to claim a prize. This is really an important social media site. Thanks for your nice share. Have a nice day :)

Lasse Nielsen, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  13. andreealeau

andreealeau Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ohh..that make sense..but it would be more obvious if they could told me I have been banned, not making me to try to upload again and again..

andreealeau, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  14. djjmz

djjmz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you tips is useful, but is very little information about correct way how to use reddit.

djjmz, Sep 14, 2013 IP
  15. sarah12

sarah12 Member

Best Answers:
    Dear these are enough if you focus on them.
    otherwise explore on google what you want about reddit.

sarah12, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  16. sarah12

sarah12 Member

Best Answers:
    I m also searching for " How to retain traffic from Reddit "

sarah12, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  17. sarah12

sarah12 Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to stay away from being banned and from your posts being blocked ,
    you should make sure to keep a 4:1 comments to submissions ratio. Submitting one link every 4-5 days should be fine if the quality of your content is right and if the audience loves it.
    If your posts are being down-voted don’t try to push your way to the top. Stop. Choose a different subreddit.

sarah12, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  18. sidraabutt

sidraabutt Member

Best Answers:
    Once you have reached 100+ karma, you can submit your site’s links with interesting titles in relevant subreddits that allow links. However, don’t rush. Submit only 1-2 links per day.

sidraabutt, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  19. kaibril

kaibril Member

Best Answers:
    Great points you have there. Now I shall use reddit also. I guess there are so many reasons why I must join reddit. Hoping to gain some traffic there for my website.

kaibril, Jun 5, 2014 IP