1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why we allow Google to dominate the game?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jahsun, May 31, 2014.

1. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Are you trying to say that Google owns every single search engine? Seriously, you need to remove your tinfoil hat. :rolleyes:

You need to send memos to the owners of Microsoft, Yahoo!, DuckDuckGo, Yandex, Mail.ru, Baidu, et al, and let them know that Google owns them. (!) :rolleyes:

No, you do not understand monopoly. There is a difference between a monopoly and being popular. It is not a company's fault if their competition sucks, if their competition does not innovate, if their competition does not deliver a good enough user experience.

If there was a legitimate case against Google, then the FTC would not have closed their "recent" investigation into Google with regards to search.
    http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...ees-change-its-business-practices-resolve-ftc

To quote:
    In terms of class actions and other piddly lawsuits, it's something that anyone can launch. The fact they exist has no meaning, only about the final judgements made in a court could have some meaning. Look at the USA and sue-crazy culture, they do it over anything.

You can read from multiple sources about the case of United States vs Microsoft Corporation and, most importantly, the judgements made. How you do not understand the significance of that is beyond me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/04/b...s-microsoft-violated-antitrust-laws-with.html
    http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm
    http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/253/34/576095/
    https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/United_States_Microsoft_antitrust_case.html

Sued by the FTC for being a monopoly? No.

No-one said it must be 100%. See what I previously wrote regarding tactics, rather than 100%, can be the judge. You should spend some time reviewing cases relating to monopolies.

A couple of laughable things - this is a class action and the law firm is Hagens Berman. Even more laughable is that is the fact it is over a completely voluntary agreement between Google and device manufacturers. :rolleyes: Anyone who purchases an Android handset can very easily change the default browser, email client, maps client, search engine, or even add another app store for that matter. In fact, everything can be done in a much less restrictive way than on iOS. One would have to jailbreak their phone in order to install an app not from Apple's AppStore, or to make another maps app the default. Hands are very much tied for consumers when it comes to iOS.

Anyone can make stupid legal claims. Just take a look at:
    http://www.ranker.com/list/the-13-dumbest-lawsuits-in-recent-history/williammtx

No strong evidence is required to file a case. Filing is one matter, actually having a final judgement for something flimsy and stupid is another.

ryan_uk, May 31, 2014 IP
  2. Jahsun

Jahsun Active Member

Best Answers:
    LOL that was funny not gonna lie. Well i did not say that i am just stating that it is possible to give the illusion of choice lol and no i am keeping my tinfoil hat kinda like it lol.

I agree it's not google's fault some search engine and services relating to what google offers may not be the same as google. The reason why they closed the case is because google agreed to follow the rules, but they are still under attack.
    http://www.business-standard.com/article/international/google-sued-for-alleged-monopoly-over-internet-and-mobile-search-114050300973_1.html
    Bloomberg May 3, 2014 Last Updated at 21:29 IST

Yes i agree with you that lawsuits are apart of the american culture but if they are suing google for monopoly then they don't know what monopoly is. Not to mention that these american judges and politicians are mostly owned by corporations.

Yes i think MS is a monopoly as well. I also think they create problems and solutions: Virus=Antivirus type of thing. Linux to me is much better and safer plus it is free :)

That was your comment :)

LOL thank you for that one you made me laugh again good one lol. Yes i agree some people want a quick come up.

I will look more into monopoly but from what you post and the lawsuit against Google in regards to monopoly i think then none of us really know what monopoly is not even the FTC and other government agencies.

Still keeping my Tinfoil hat though lol

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Jahsun, May 31, 2014 IP
  3. andreiionut

andreiionut Member

Best Answers:
    Google updates doesn't affect everybody , I have 5 websites and there was no problem during the last updates . Google dominates this game because they own the most popular search engine , most popular video site, and most popular tools for webmasters were they get their important informations about users ( Analytics and Webmaster Tools ) . Having so many dat from millions of webmaster and billions of users from so many years turned them into a giant that it's some how hard to ignore . You don't play by Google you get kicked by Google it's the hard truth of these days . It's all about money !

andreiionut, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  4. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    We don't allow Google to dominate, the public user does.
    While we might understand the damage Google is potentially doing to the WWW, the average user out there couldn't care less. They just want a search engine, and because many of them don't understand the business they also don't understand what they are contributing to by using Google.

I have tried to convince so many people to use an alternative instead, and while many have made the choice and switched, there are plenty who just don't get it.

Conran, Jun 1, 2014 IP
    Foxxy likes this.
  5. avinash980

avinash980 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We don't allow it's their best practices plus different technology that makes it dominate the game.

avinash980, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  6. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Monopoly or not, they burden the economy by not paying their share of taxes. Google employs an offshore tax scheme that has allowed them to evade over $3 Billion in taxes. It worked so well that Facebook has now copied the exact same scheme. While it's neither of their fault that corporate tax loopholes exist, it is their fault if they toss morality out the window and use them to the detriment of the citizens of their host country. Do no evil? That's laughable.

Source

Foxxy, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  7. kaibril

kaibril Member

Best Answers:
    Because of the benefits one could derive by using Google, that is why it keeps dominating the game :D

kaibril, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  8. Daley1

Daley1 Peon

Best Answers:
    This was a rather interesting conversation that seemed to go completely off the rails here for a minute. Even though I think that we are giving Google a bit too much power (because let’s face it, it is becoming the only feasible game in town for a lot of people) it is nowhere near a monopoly.

Daley1, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  9. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You do not have to be a monopoly to engage in unfair business practices designed to stifle competition.

That said, it is all about mind set, about who really needs who. Google has done a good job at convincing webmasters that they need Google (mainly for traffic). I have found this to be completely untrue. In fact, Google needs you more than you need them. If you stop letting them steal your content for image search, stop letting them use your meta data for search content, etc, then their model will flop. The problem is that it would take a large number of webmasters blocking Google to make any noticeable difference, and so many people are tricked into thinking they are dependent on Google that this will not happen any time soon.

Foxxy, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door," says the old proverb.

So far, Google has succeeded in building the best "mousetrap." If/when Bing and the other search engines build a superior product, the surfing world will beat a path to their door. That's how it works.

Jim4767, Jun 2, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  11. designing2010

designing2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Becuase you cant beat google now.. so now do what google required.......

designing2010, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  12. laicen

laicen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well just do the things right and you never get penalties. Or just do what is work for now and than delete everything and start the game from the start. It's up to you.

laicen, Jun 12, 2014 IP
  13. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting...

1: People use google because its popular, they are searching, they are buying, whatever....
    2: Every time google appears to improve, every site owner is crying..."google is killing me"

Ive got it...

It must be a monopoly...
    and they are right, google wants to
    monopolize the trash right off the internet....

Sorry, its not personal, its just good business
    to improve so google can offer better services.....

Google is not here to improve your no-worth
    selfish lifestytle so your sucky site will continue
    to make money forever, some kids need to grow up...

It does not matter how big google grows; It does not matter
    if they end up with 99.9% of the internet...What does google owe you?
    ZERO!!!

Whats this thread about again?

dscurlock, Jun 13, 2014 IP
  14. WebScavenger

WebScavenger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't allow Google to do anything to me. The less I rely on Google the happier I am. Try it! Google is not the only way (and sometimes not even the best way) to get traffic. If I happen to get some Google love, great. If not, so what I keep it movin!...

WebScavenger, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  15. netaddict41

netaddict41 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The answer to that is quite simple. Aside from the fact that most of the traffic on the Internet comes from Google, it remains to be a continuous but free online source of traffic. This means that as long as you do your SEO right, you can make some money. But it may take some time to get ranked.

netaddict41, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  16. Samker

Samker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because it's No1 Search Engine... :-/

Samker, Jul 9, 2014 IP
  17. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi All,

Firstly, there are quite a few reputable Search Engines such as Ask, Yahoo! and Bing, direct competitors of our favorite Big G.

Next up, it depends on our preferences instead of the debated topic on domination.

Hope It Helps,
    Commoner

Commoner, Jul 13, 2014 IP
  18. Joseph Mancia

Joseph Mancia Member

Best Answers:
    I guess the OP keeps rewinding that commercial where the girl meets a supposedly french guy on the internet and he turns out to be an overweight stoner looking dude but her thoughts were that if she heard it on the internet then it must be true!:rolleyes:

Joseph Mancia, Jul 13, 2014 IP
  19. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can probably think of 10 competitors for google in search and 100 or so for adsense

soniqhost.com, Jul 14, 2014 IP
  20. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    Big G Network is deemed as a big player in this field and as my favorite search network. Let me assure you that Yahoo!, Bing and Ask are equally competitive.

Yes, I caught you laughing! Indeed, they're having different market audience and search expertise, quite difficult to evaluate then

Commoner, Jul 14, 2014 IP