1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Plus Backlinks = Nofollow

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jameyson MacDonald, May 29, 2014.

Perhaps the biggest reason that SEO is so difficult for new webmasters is the vast amount of misinformation floating around on the web. The problem is that so many people think they're experts, when in reality, only a fraction of these self-proclaimed experts have an inkling of an idea what they're even talking about.

One piece of misinformation I think it's time to set straight is the use of Google Plus profile pages to get do-follow backlinks. I have read this claim more times than I can count and I've about had it with these know-it-alls wasting everyone's time saying you can add these links to your Google Plus profile page and they will give you these coveted Google do-follow backlinks.

The truth is, any links you add to your Google Plus profile page will automatically be "nofollow". Nofollow links are not bad and do actually help your overall website traffic and visibility over time, but these links are not, nor ever will be, "do follow".

[​IMG]
    Take a look at this image file. Notice that I have 5 separate links to my website. In the following image, showing the source code, you will see that these links are "nofollow"
    [​IMG]
    I have added links in the "Share What's New..." section as well and these links are likewise "nofollow".

At one time, Google may have made these links "do follow", but those days are long gone and the sooner that webmasters realize that adding links to their Google Plus profile will only give them "nofollow" links the better.

Solved! View solution.
    Jameyson MacDonald, May 29, 2014 IP
    Joshie likes this.
  2. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Who is using Plus??? lol

Foxxy, May 29, 2014 IP
  3. Alyce Cruz

Alyce Cruz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks! This is quite informative, I will be very careful about this. :)

Alyce Cruz, May 30, 2014 IP
  4. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am. Every time I add a new page I post some text and a link to the new page in my Google+ profile. Almost 100% of the time that Google+ post turns up on page 1 of Google's SERPs within just a few minutes after I post it. The point? Traffic.

Jim4767, May 30, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And traffic is always a good thing, but many people believe that if they place links in their Google Plus profile page those links will be do-follow and that simply is not the case.

Jameyson MacDonald, May 30, 2014 IP
  6. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google Plus is a great way to promote your site and get traffic but I never considered it part of my SEO strategy. Good advice though, I am sure there are many people who didn't know this!

cronik, May 30, 2014 IP
    All Google+ is good for is the traffic that it generate, nothing else including backlinks. It is surprising to see many of threads saying that they could get backlink from it, but only thing that is true is it will give you traffic and some help of SEO a bit but that is all.

Great information, my friend!

Joshie, May 30, 2014 IP
  8. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. It's normal. G+ is a big plus for your website while talking about your SERP. Just don't forget that not even the backlink is nofollow it's still WORTH even the time to build it! ;)

patco, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  9. echo_unlimited

echo_unlimited Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It was bound to happen.

Such a big service as G+ would easily and was probably used as a way to gain unnatural backlinks. G+ has likely been abused in such a way to build backlinks - now Google has essentially taken that away from everyone - as it can be abused.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    echo_unlimited, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  10. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you take the time to build circles, it's not even good for that. There's really no incentive for me to take the time to get included in a lot of circles when there are better sources for traffic. So I guess plus is basically useless to me.

Foxxy, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  11. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True although you can find your google+ profile a bit easy in search when people search for your name if you set your real name on Google+ as most of the people do. Having Google+ is useful for authors, IMO.

Whether you have some or no one in your circles, you can still get some of traffic because Google+ profiles is set public by default therefore anyone can sees which generates traffic because Google+ profiles is indexed so anyone sees your profiles then sees your links in wall posts but no backlink for these links. But does it do any good? Absolutely not but it's there in case.

Joshie, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  12. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    When I signed up I was forced to use my real name. I was only interested in using it for business, but it told me that it looked like I was using a business name and that this was against the rules. I'm not interested in another social network for personal use, so I never really did much of anything with it. I guess if I ever wanted to take advantage of rel="author" then it would come in useful, but I'm not really too excited about having my photo show up in search results, so I probably won't take advantage of that any time soon.

Foxxy, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  13. meethi jain

meethi jain Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo In addition will be a powerful way to showcase your blog and find targeted visitors yet I never ever deemed the idea part of my SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING tactic. Good advice however, I am sure there are many folks who don't recognize this kind of!

meethi jain, Jun 6, 2014 IP
  14. uand.eye

uand.eye Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is too much emphasis on followed links. These only help with Pagerank. Pagerank is not longer a hugely important factor in SERPs. Google+ is very good for SEO not only traffic, but like all other aspects of SEO it is now a question of quality. Simply posting links will not help you. Set up authorship and build a reputation and you will see the difference it can make.

uand.eye, Jun 6, 2014 IP