1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Limiting the usage of Social Networking for teens

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Laielady, May 25, 2014.

Most teens can get enough of the many social networks in the present day. Time consuming and distractions, social networking seems to be taking over the minds and actions of the teenagers nowadays. Limiting their usage would ensure more outdoor activities and interpersonal relationships rather than virtual friends. What are some thoughts on limiting teen use of social networking.

Laielady, May 25, 2014 IP
    Digital Noise likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking you don't have teens living with you.

That said, a friend just supervised a school sleepover for the 40 hour famine where the kids gave up technology for the 40 hours. She said they were so noisy and boisterous - the change in behaviour was really marked. Everyone had a ton of fun!

sarahk, May 25, 2014 IP
  3. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know a heck of lot of teens. Partly because I looked after my little sisters two children when they we're 6 and 8 after my sister died and they are now teens and at times we have even allowed them to have parties at our house so we know they are safe.

I have held the odd teenagers head as they we're sick in a bucket (due to one two too many drinks) as teenagers will be teenagers either hiding away in a field or supervised and looked after IMHO.

Trying to limit teenagers use of the internet and social networking sites would be a little like letting them go and get drunk in a field and left to only peer pressure with no adult input to keep them out of the worst trouble. in some bizarre way in this modern world

In my experience seeing as most of my Niece and Nephews closest friends are also friends with me on Facebook it helps both them and us but limiting them out of school in these days of mobile phones and iPads is nigh on impossible out of school as this is a large part of modern life for that age group...

Times change.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    Revelations-Decoder, May 25, 2014 IP
  4. Digital Noise

Digital Noise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My motto is: Trust but verify! Keep an eye on what they are doing and if they violate your trust then restrict social media. I think many parents go the opposite path of verifying then trust. That method didn't work on me as a teenager and it wouldn't have helped me build the friendship I have with my parents now.

Digital Noise, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  5. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe limit the usage using some restriction software from internet and install it on the PC using time limit.

jazzyjmnote, Jun 3, 2014 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've been trying to find some software that can sit on my computer and monitor bandwidth (with stats like time of day) and device. Tools like netnanny rely on the user having a PC/Mac but with ipods/phones/xbox/wii all using wifi they remain untouchable.

sarahk, Jun 3, 2014 IP
  7. Hackinat

Hackinat Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have any teenagers yet as my wife and I just welcomed our first a month or so ago. I can't even imagine what social networking will be like when my kids become teenagers. I know it will be unavoidable to keep them from using it since social networking will be even more commonplace 13-15 years down the road, but my wife and I have talked about this a lot already. We both believe in developing a healthy balance (personal social activity, virtual social activity, etc...), and we'll definitely have rules on the amount of access they can have. We just hope they will always want to go outside and play.

Hackinat, Jun 3, 2014 IP