1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Responsive website or mobile website- Which is good ??

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rahulsetia007, May 15, 2014.

Hello Everyone,

if we have mobile website previously, and then we have created our desktop version website to responsive but we are also getting traffic and revenue from mobile site. i am confused weather we have to block the mobile website or need to redirect (301) to the desktop verion of website.

Which is good practice ??..need help urgently

rahulsetia007, May 15, 2014 IP
  2. smithrick

smithrick Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I have not too much knowledge about website designing. But as per the my knowledge, Most of the responsive websites are compatible to mobile phone size. Then I don't think you need to create separate mobile version website. Stick with your desktop version website.

smithrick, May 15, 2014 IP
    John Dave likes this.
  3. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    @smithrick yes you are correct what makes a website responsive is compatible in accessing just from any where i.e. either from the PC, iPad, mobile phones etc....

John Dave, May 15, 2014 IP
  4. rahulsetia007

rahulsetia007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    @smithrick @John Dave you are not getting what am trying to say, we already have mobile sites before making our responsive site, and we also have revenue from mobile website. so do we need to go with resposnive website ( as it is easy to track and maintain) or should we redirect mobiel website to original website URL or block it??

5. smithrick

smithrick Notable Member

Best Answers:
    why did you do that. If those both websites are same, then why you think to shut down or redirect your website on desktop version. You got revenue from mobile site, it means that people like your website as it is. Then keep both the website.

smithrick, May 15, 2014 IP
  6. rahulsetia007

Best Answers:
    but @smithrick it is easy to track one website rather than tracking 2 websites with different versions. that is why raise this question. what you have mention i know all it. want to know best practice for it as many users apart from me also want to know the same ques

7. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if you are generating good revenue then like @smithrick said there is no need of shutting down the mobile website instead of it keep both of them. Yes, you can also redirect you mobile site to the responsive site by creating a appropriate 404 page which tells user that site has been moved permanently to the new ...... but still I would prefer not to take down that mobile site if you are getting good earnings out of it.

John Dave, May 15, 2014 IP
  8. rahulsetia007

Best Answers:
    Right said @John Dave but why we need to create 404 page to tell users, as we are already going to redirect mobile version to responsive desktop version by using 301 redirect ( permanent ). which is good rather creating custom 404 to tell users ..what you said ?? also need to know your views also on this @smithrick

9. Dharmik Rajput

Dharmik Rajput Greenhorn

Best Answers:

It is obivious that you have to give 301 redirect to your mobile site because no one want to lose their traffic by which one can get a conversion. So it would be the best for you that you will get the traffic to your new site as well you will not loose the traffic.

Dharmik Rajput, May 15, 2014 IP
  10. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    Is your new Desktop website Mobile compatible or you will loose mobile traffic from organic sources like search traffic if you do 301, but there should be some way to redirect the SE traffic.

jazzyjmnote, May 15, 2014 IP
  11. rahulsetia007

Best Answers:
    You asking from me or telling to me for the way of SE traffic from mobile to desktop ?

12. Henry Calvin

Henry Calvin Member

Best Answers:
    You must develop responsive website because its trend now I hear that Google will compulsory for all of us that. And also run your mobile website.

Henry Calvin, May 16, 2014 IP
  13. rahulsetia007

Best Answers:
    ok i have done all what all you said which is better. see my responsive website which i launched recently, i want to share the URL ( techblogcorner.com to know your thoughts on it becoz we are talking lot about responsive website but i think it is very difficult when someone is scrolling your website more and more . it's a bit hectic for users to scroll on such a large extent thnx to @Henry Calvin @jazzyjmnote @Dharmik Rajput @John Dave @smithrick for participating here.. need all of your feedback on it.

rahulsetia007, May 19, 2014 IP
  14. Dharmik Rajput

Dharmik Rajput Greenhorn

Best Answers:

@rahulsetia007 I can see your web site and I can say that it is not a high quality site but it is average site. And as you say that the users do not like to scroll the site, but if your web site is not responding then the users cannot see all the things which you want to show them because in mobile they will not scroll left or right they would like to scroll down and the responsive sites give them. And so that as per my point of view just keep watching Google analytic of your site which gives you idea how the users are perfoming.

Dharmik Rajput, May 20, 2014 IP
  15. nevedita

nevedita Member

Best Answers:
    you should redirect (301) mobile website to responsive website

nevedita, May 21, 2014 IP
  16. selva787

selva787 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Responsive website is best to all device.

selva787, May 22, 2014 IP
  17. money_online

money_online Active Member

Best Answers:
    Correct, responsive website works seamlessly on any mobile or tablet device.

money_online, May 22, 2014 IP
  18. rahulsetia007

Best Answers:
    thnx to all for your valuable time we have redirected to mobile version to responsive desktop version by using 301 permanent redirect.

rahulsetia007, May 23, 2014 IP
  19. nevedita

nevedita Member

Best Answers:
    responsive website

nevedita, May 24, 2014 IP
  20. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For a serious business, a desktop site is much better as people could buy something if they see more info (on their PC or laptop, it's much easier!). Otherwise people use their mobiles mostly to visit Facebook, youtube, etc. but rarely for a business or buy something for example! ;)

patco, May 24, 2014 IP