1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ThemeForest - too big-headed! Any alternative?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Death4you, Apr 24, 2010.

Hello,

A couple of days ago i asked about alternative marketplaces on TF forum... and they remove my post very, very quickly, so i'm asking here.
    I know only template monster, but I see that TM generates very LOW sale. Nobody sold more that 6 pieces of item on TM (LOL).

For a couple of weeks themeforest can't aprove my high quality WP theme, but I see on their marketplace much much worse themes (even not widget ready), I don't know what's going on. I heard that they won't approve PSD anymore.

Death4you, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  2. +xenon+

+xenon+ Peon

Best Answers:
    dont buy from themeforest, i'm pretty furious with them at this point. bought a couple of themes, but they don't work properly (even with customer support from the designers admitting they need to update it cos it needs fixing). but then out of the blue, themeforest just deleted my account.

brilliant stuff.

am now awaiting them to refund my money.

---

the good news is there are plenty of websites that have themes. themeforest is not the only theme marketplace. it just takes the effort to look :)

+xenon+, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  3. Areol

Areol Peon

Best Answers:
    Themeforest is a great marketplace but has become extremely saturated as there as many themes , templates that are almost identical with jst some visual differences.

There are other marketplaces well premium theme clubs such as woothemes. etc.

Areol, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  4. designet

designet Peon

Best Answers:
    Heh, you guys aren't the only ones that feel this way. Anyway, there is a new site, still in beta from what I hear (they have not had an official release yet which they say is suppose to happen big this month), and they are giving 90% commission for the first few months. It is http://www.fresherimage.com. Right now they are taking submissions (have a few items pending there). Expect a few small quirks there this week. I just skype chatted the owners and they are formatting some pages and adding some features right now, but the place is brilliant.

designet, May 3, 2010 IP
  5. Shiloh88

Shiloh88 Peon

Best Answers:
    I love WooThemes, their designs are great and they even have some very worthy free ones.

http://newwpthemes.com/ is very good too.

Shiloh88, May 3, 2010 IP
  6. Hefaistos

Hefaistos Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Another alternative of TF marketplace would be Mojo-Themes .:eek:

Hefaistos, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  7. juandesign

juandesign Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do purchase themeforest,but I pick the one that have a good review,not just there template is nice but no reviews..

juandesign, May 20, 2014 IP
  8. kxjakkk

kxjakkk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've tried submitting some of my themes to ThemeForest and I just feel like they only accept certain people. Mojo-Themes is a very good alternative to it, though.

kxjakkk, May 22, 2014 IP
  9. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    TF started out as a great place for premium themes. At the moment it appears to be somewhat saturated. Stick around and keep watching.

giorgioarmani, Jul 11, 2014 IP
  10. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Off the shelf templates and stuffing content into them is a bunch of broken halfwit bull, and the template whorehouses like templateMonster and Themeforest are nothing more than one giant scam filled with people who to be brutally frank, have no business designing or coding jack **** so far as a website is concerned.

The alternative?

Start with your CONTENT or a reasonable facsimile of future content and arrange it in a logical order in a flat text editor as if HTML didn't even exist. Then add HTML semantically to say what things ARE so you have a baseline for non-visual UA's... Then you make your layout using CSS adding any non-semantic containers (DIV and SPAN) as needed... and only then do you start slapping color, backgrounds and so forth on it to make it pretty.

Content dictates markup, content and markup dictate layout. Shoe-horning content into an off the shelf template is like shoving a fat woman's size 12 hoof into a size 6 shoe; even if you manage it, it's not like the sow is going anywhere.

If you can't do that, or are unwilling to hire someone who doesn't know how to do that, you may want to consider that you are not cut out for having a website.

... and if you're trying to sell off the shelf templates (which is what it sounds like), well... sorry but that triggers in me disgust to the point of nausea.

Sorry, but I'm increasingly fed up with the artsy-fartsy types and their disgusting nube predation, tricking people into THINKING they can have a website; or worse, deluding themselves into thinking they have any business designing them as most of your PSD jockey and scripttard bull might be pretty and flashy, but that doesn't matter if the end result is useless to visitors.

Of course, I'm laughing that you used "high quality" and "WP template" in the same sentence, as that's a definite oxymoron.

Oops, didnae even notice this was a pointless poster magnet bounce of a four year old thread... :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    deathshadow, Jul 11, 2014 IP
  11. NextGe

NextGe Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is a 4 years old thread. Wow...

NextGe, Jul 16, 2014 IP
  12. arvutipro

arvutipro Peon

Best Answers:
    Themeforest blocked my account ( I deleted my old email and coudnt change my password) and I've lost my purchased template.

arvutipro, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  13. modinho

modinho Member

Best Answers:
    Themeforest has a strict policy, so when you find yourself blocked or your account is removed, it always has 2 sides of the story.
    What I do want to tell is, themeforest and their contributors must have great quality products before they can sell it.... anyways you may also read reviews on the products before buying.

modinho, Aug 15, 2014 IP
  14. A Madden

A Madden Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to sell on Themeforest, then I noticed that others were taking mine and other designers designs, slightly altering them and claiming them as their own. I always used to insert various hidden code in all files of my designs so it was easy to spot. I told Themeforest a few times about this and I remember they did take down a few designs, but the damage was done. Many designers including myself left and didn't put up designs any more.

I think that may be one of the reasons why they vet new designers designs thoroughly, but I often wonder who it is vets the designs.

A Madden, Aug 16, 2014 IP