1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learning Web Design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mathewaki, Apr 21, 2014.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That's pretty much what you're left with if you can't make that square peg fit the round hole.

I do wish there was an off the shelf CMS that didn't get down on it's knees to pucker up behind the proverbial equine of short stature from both a front-end and back-end code perspective; I have yet to see one that wasn't a train wreck both in terms of the 'skinning system' being a royal PITA (or as I like to scream at the display "OH FOR **** SAKE JUST LET ME USE PHP FOR WHAT IT'S FOR") often shoving garbage markup down your throat (and no, adding regex to fix things in post-processing they try to shove down your throat isn't the answer) -- and in terms of the ridiculously stupid "insecure by design" choices like still using the mysql_ functions eight to nine years after we've been told to stop using them and three to four years after being told "they'll be deprecated in the next release", the outright idiocy of putting security info (like the complete SQL login info) into defines with no callback security, endless multiple entry points, etc, etc...

At the same time I'm not sure there should/could be such a thing, as the "one size fits all" concept is itself rotten to the core; shoe-horning a blogging system into being something it isn't (what most people do with turdpress) or shoe-horning shopping systems into something they aren't (what a lot of people do with magento) -- particularly when you have to mod them to the gills just to get the most basic of functionality -- is just asking to get bitten in the long term the same way phpBB 2.x users got bit a decade ago by the neverNoSanity worm.

I've seen all this **** fail time and time again for a decade and a half while my stuff plodded along as if nothing was wrong. That more than anything is why I'm so... annoyed over this nonsense is it sucks seeing people make the same mistakes time and time again; particularly when they have the giant set of brass to call more code, sloppy coding habits, and needlessly convoluted 'frameworks' simpler -- it's not simpler in the long term.

But again, that's the whole "pay more later for something you can't afford now" attitude that's one of the driving forces behind the failing economy. People want to sleaze it out cheap as possible, then wonder why it's a money pit over time; at least for the site owner -- all while the scumbag developer who sleazes out the five minute turdpress solution laughs their way to the bank thanks to preying on the ignorance of the clientèle.

Mind you, I'm not arguing you can't make money deploying turdpress for people -- I'm just saying it's nube predation to do so; said practice has all the legitimacy of late night TV infomercials on how to "make money fast in realty".

deathshadow, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  2. OaldDesign

OaldDesign Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see you only starting the path and have a long way ahead of you.
    You would need to start learning photoshop so you will be able to design website design
    Then you will learn HTML and CSS so you would be able to create a static page
    Wordpress is build mostly on php so you will need to learn php as well
    There are some javascript on wordpress so you will need to learn Javasctip (javasctip, jquery, ajax) as well.
    Once you acquired all those elements you would be able to start learning wordpress.

It seems like a lot to learn and it's a lot but there are those who offers wordpress services with small basic knowledge that make small changes for free existing theme.

OaldDesign, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  3. cmehreen

cmehreen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you want to learn on graphic design too, it may help you. Check out this site: http://www.creativeclippingpath.com/imagemasking.php

Best Regards,
    CM

cmehreen, May 15, 2014 IP
  4. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Start with HTML and CSS. codeacademy.com is an awesome place to start; it is free and interactive and keeps track of your progress. After you've gotten good at HTML and CSS, move on to javascript and jQuery. Once you know those, I'd suggest learning perl, php and sql. If you are interested in designing websites for businesses, all of these will be useful. Many ecommerce websites are powered by a php content management system with an sql database; a lot of shopping carts are written in perl and stored in a cgi-bin.
    You will also want to be at least somewhat familiar with the major Content Management Systems, such as Magento, OpenCart, Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal.

Jameyson MacDonald, May 15, 2014 IP
  5. zaheermd651

zaheermd651 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    please visit www.w3schools.com to learn HTML,css,java script,php etc

zaheermd651, May 18, 2014 IP
  6. gfx.guru

gfx.guru Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would like to prepare you have to download some webdesign ebooks and try to learn itself: These are the following ebooks links:
    http://www.gfxhead.com/ebooks/computer-ebooks/
    http://www.gfxhead.com/tutorials/web-design-tutorials/

gfx.guru, May 20, 2014 IP