1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Utopian idea? Perhaps....

Discussion in 'General Business' started by kjmartyn, May 7, 2014.

I love making money, like every other person. I understand that it takes hard work and discipline to achieve success, but it also takes money to make money. The more initial capital you have the possibility of having a successful business increases, as long as the model is sound. So..... Here's my thoughts.

I only watch one thread on this forum and that's the partnership section. I like to see what other people are doing and what the trends are. What if instead of everyone posting a new partnership and asking for $100-$500 on average, we create a collective of thinkers and pool our capital and become a venture capitalist firm. "One nation under wealth" sort of thing.
    This idea came to me while bored at work. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
    kjmartyn, May 7, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Welcome to a legal nightmare.
    You should only invest "serious" money with people you know well, who can trust and (for beginners) is from the same country. If you've never met someone face to face, have cultural differences and different levels of legal protection it'll be really hard to get going.

sarahk, May 8, 2014 IP
  3. Joseph_F

Joseph_F Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Also, anyone with the idea "it takes money to make money" is labouring under a very false belief. The combination of minds can be a very powerful thing and doesn't necessarily demand a capital element. Ten thinkers pooling their ideas can be much more powerful than a couple of money-men throwing cash down a hole (which is what a capitally-derived business begins life as, a money-sucking hole). I would be interested in forming an ideas collective, however without a monetary requirement. Anyone can PM me if interested.

Joseph_F, May 9, 2014 IP
  4. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that a group of powerful minds can be a amazing force of inspiration and originality. I love the idea of creating a "think tank" of individuals and throw some ideas around. Eventually you will need capital to take those ideas to market.

kjmartyn, May 9, 2014 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Rhetoric and semantics coupled with supreme confidence and a strong motivation. Wow!....... Hold on, I don't see a business plan here.
    Now I get it....it's called dreaming, I stopped doing that when I was 12 years old as it never seemed to get me anywhere.:oops:

Spoiltdiva, May 9, 2014 IP
    GFX2 likes this.
  6. GFX2

GFX2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Talk about a party breaker.... :p

I'm saying that I like your idea but you will have to think a lot before realizing it. You need a business plan...so start working on it and come back here and present it! Wish you all the best!

GFX2, May 9, 2014 IP
  7. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that I require a business and marketing plan. This is an idea, nothing more then that. Upon my research I will start a plan or maybe not. Depends what I find.

kjmartyn, May 9, 2014 IP
  8. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    kjmartyn, May 9, 2014 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    VC's, or Vulture Capitalists (as I prefer to call them based upon a couple of decades of experience with them) have very strict criteria as to whom they invest in and what that funding will be used for. Inevitably, a major portion of the funds are used for sales/marketing activities because that is what drives business growth which is one thing that they are after. So, it is not surprising that VC investment increases revenues of the companies that they invest in. However, growth in sales revenues is not enough for a VC. You also have to be profitable or at least showing the strong potential for profit.

The last number that I hear from the VC's is that about 1 out of 10 of their investments hits the marks they need to have a successful exit strategy (go public, get acquired, etc.). The other 9 do not perform as hoped and are basically investment failures, whether their sales grew or not.

Regarding the issue of an "ideas" collective: IMHO, the idea is not much in and of itself. The real value comes in the implementation, organization, production, nurturing, promotion, etc., of the business idea. That is why, in addition to funding, VC's will bring in the specific implementation skills that are missing in the company that began with a cool idea.

jrbiz, May 9, 2014 IP
  10. Joseph_F

Joseph_F Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Please can explain why you need to refer to semantics while trying to dismantle someone's idea? Semantics are present everywhere in everyday language, and it wasn't even as if you tried to say "semantically null" or "semantically nonsensical", which to me seems like you are trying to baffle people with language; to what end I can't even begin to guess.

Dreaming it may be, but I find the notion of stepping on someone's dream without any grounding a little negative and very counter-productive. The way I see it, the OP tried to begin a thread that was very optimistic, and you tried to dismiss it as a pipe dream.

I say "good luck" to the OP and if there is anything I can do to help contribute, I'm all ears.

Joseph_F, May 12, 2014 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    My point exactly, not sure how far you've gone in life. But I suspect that you may be a dreamer as well. I am very busy the next few days doing real business, don't really have time to post on this thread. I'll leave the two of you to your vivid imaginations.;)

Spoiltdiva, May 12, 2014 IP
  12. Joseph_F

Joseph_F Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How very constructive.

You may boast about doing "real business", but to me that's just a trait of a keyboard warrior. It also says nothing (and everything in volumes) of your character if you took time out of a seemingly busy and hectic schedule in order bash someone who was just casting a friendly net, looking for ideas.

Additionally, you sent me a PM, seemingly to warn me off raising my hackles against "notable" members. I call this intimidation. It doesn't impress me, nor does it frighten me; I'm already successful enough to bother worrying about such milksop aggression. If your passive-aggressive message was intentionally worded to scare me off while sticking to forum rules, I move that you carefully review your wording Miss ESL, as I am fully capable of reading between the lines.

You even tried to deconstruct a little joke I made in my introduction, for no apparent reason, in a thread that was completely null and void of any opinions. You can leave us "dreamers" to our vivid imaginations, this thread would be better without such flagrant negativity and character-bashing anyway.

What I will leave you with is this: what goes around comes around. ;)

Badly done, no matter how notable you are. Badly done.

Joseph_F, May 12, 2014 IP
    kjmartyn and GFX2 like this.
  13. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    This thread was taken of course just a little.
    I'm not looking for venture capital. I'm looking to become one.
    As someone that has watched their money grow since I bought my first stock at 18. I'm looking to meet like minded individuals that I can talk to and grow positive business relationships. Through this process I see a group of people pooling their money very probable.
    Of course this pool of capital would be monitored and distributed legally through lawyers and financial institutions.
    Just a thought.

kjmartyn, May 12, 2014 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Are we discussing? or are you actively looking to set this up?
    You have posted in the discussion section which leads one to think you are looking to discuss the idea.
    When you are ready to take action you need to create a thread in the partnerships section.

sarahk, May 12, 2014 IP
  15. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is only a discussion.

kjmartyn, May 12, 2014 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You and I both know that I never mentioned the word "notable" in my *private* PM to you. What I attempted to do was to offer you some unsolicited advice.
    You are not someone that I will bother to contact again. Have a nice day and let's give this thread back to the OP.

Spoiltdiva, May 13, 2014 IP
  17. Joseph_F

Joseph_F Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    And I quote myself -

when you referenced yourself and your other "associates". And your patronage is neither required nor desired. My services and time are reserved for those with a much better business manner and who don't storm into threads casting doubt and ridicule about the place like so much manure flung from a farmers hay wagon.

Indeed, let's give this back to the OP.

OP, good luck in your endeavour! I hope it works out and you aren't overwhelmed by the vitriolic attentions of such naysayers in the future.

Joseph_F, May 13, 2014 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    My business manner such as it is has been an evolution borne out of necessity from having to deal with pompous know it alls. (no need to take that personally)
    As to casting doubt, that is the nature of debate which is what you sometimes get on threads. My difference of opinions and the style in which I choose to highlight it, is my own and if you don't find it to your liking then so be it.

The OP has an idea, nothing more. No real plan, no real goal, no concrete just powder and a bucket of water. Idealism is not something I fully comprehend as I feel more comfortable with cold hard logic and fact.
    It appears that you are a kind hearted person who took offense that I was somehow being mean to a fellow idealist. Otherwise I cannot for the life of me understand where your outrage stems from.
    Anyway *try* to relax, it's just a thread. If you cannot then I suggest Valium.;)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Spoiltdiva, May 13, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk, malky66 and sarahk like this.
  19. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Failing that, he could just try extracting his head from up his own arse....

malky66, May 14, 2014 IP
    jrbiz and ryan_uk like this.
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I've witnessed this sort of thing many times before. This fellow joined up a week ago, wants to make a name for himself and be noticed. So he has come onto this thread with both guns blazing. He is masquerading as a champion who is defending the OP who is supposedly being victimized. Unfortunately he has made a few grammatical errors in his posts, and has not advertised himself well at all.;)

This would also explain the contradictions vis a vis his PM's to me and his posts here. His PM's make him come across as well mannered and articulate. His public posts however make him appear quite the opposite. I suppose there is a bit of a showman in him.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Spoiltdiva, May 14, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.