1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which webserver values have biggest impact on website load time?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by postcd, May 1, 2014.

Hello,

on a webserver (apache, mysql, php), which values comes to your mind can have bigges impact on a website load time?

we talking about webserver which host like 100 websites, mostly a classic wordpress blog.

I have keep alive turned on. Now i want to do some test playing with various values of apache, php, so if you can give advice on my testing? thx

postcd, May 1, 2014 IP
  2. 2WDH.com

2WDH.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi.

This URL should be useful in your situation: http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Optimization

2WDH.com, May 1, 2014 IP
  3. poddys

poddys Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have used WP-SuperCache and T3Cache before to speed up Wordpress, but they are so unweidly and complex I haven't personally seen much improvement if any.
    We couldn't use either of those easily on our corporate site (because of the server type) but I did find the Hyper-Cache plugin and it seems to work really fast. It also doesn't need hundreds of lines to be added to the .htaccess file like the other plugins. Uncached paged still take up to 5 seconds to load, but cached ones are virtually instant.
    Hope this helps.

poddys, May 1, 2014 IP
  4. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thx for inputs, i want to note that i CANT modiffy my clients wordpress installations, im rather looking for PHP, Apache related advices... thx

postcd, May 1, 2014 IP
  5. homer7

homer7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    homer7, May 1, 2014 IP
  6. ragamsky

ragamsky Active Member

Best Answers:
    i love playing with nginx, with varnish pattern and jetpack/cloudflare enable for each site.
    Feeling blessed.. My 32Gb box can handle 500K UV and 800K PV a day right now with it.

ragamsky, May 1, 2014 IP
  7. Jason James

Jason James Peon

Best Answers:
    Settings? Nothing beats keeping your content cached in volatile ram, or SSD using varnish or squid when you're talking $ per millisecond

Jason James, May 6, 2014 IP
  8. hostechsupport

hostechsupport Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Values that have impact on website load time :

1>HTTP requests
    When someone visits a website, the corresponding files must be sent to that person’s browser. This includes CSS files, Javascript library references, and images. We can eliminate everything that’s unnecessary this may be a plugin also. When we do this the load time minimizes.

2>Display images
    Depending on the format, many images contain a ton of extraneous metadata that can drastically increase the size of the file. Many designers fail to compress their images before uploading them to the web, and the overall impact of this can be dramatic with image-intensive designs. We can optimize and correctly display the images to minimize the load time.

3>Content Delivery Network (CDN)
    A CDN is a high-performance network of servers across the globe that replicate the static assets of a website and serve them to visitors from the closest POP. CDNs are among the most effective ways to absolutely turbocharge the speed of the sites.

4>Gzip and compress components
    We want to allow our webserver to compress our files before sending them to visitors. When we do this the load time minimizes.

5>Stylesheets
    We never want to display unstyled content to visitors—not even for a split second. Files responsible for the appearance of our site should be loaded first so they can be applied to the HTML as it loads.

6>Browser caching
    With browser caching, we’re explicitly instructing browsers to hang onto particular files for a specified period of time. When the file is needed again, the browser is to pull from its local cache instead of requesting it from the server again.

7>Also With Zend Optimizer and Apache tuning you can make your site fly.

Hope this helps the readers!

hostechsupport, May 7, 2014 IP
    postcd likes this.
  9. poddys

poddys Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's quite amazing how much you can reduce the size of your images by stripping off the Exif data, especially on Thumbnails.
    Jhead is a free program I found that allows you to extract and strip Exif data and it's made a big difference to the 20k images we have on our site.
    Documentation and download is here http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
    If a page has 20+ thumbnails and you can reduce them from 20k to 2k purely by stripping the Exif data, that's a nice saving.

poddys, May 8, 2014 IP