1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will Windows XP be a target by hackers now support officially ended?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dcristo, Apr 27, 2014.

I honestly love using Windows XP and see no reason to upgrade. But this question is on my mind.

What are your thoughts? Are there any security measures I need to make to secure my computer?

dcristo, Apr 27, 2014 IP
  2. Andy Lippis

Andy Lippis Member

Best Answers:
    if you only go to trusted websites and have a Virus Protection on your computer you should be fine. but if you still using an old computer running XP you should get a new PC and get windows 7. well i would anyways

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    Andy Lippis, May 1, 2014 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I don't really need a new PC, I can still play all the old games I like to play, since I have made upgrades to it. Plus, I like XP. I don't have much of a reason to upgrade.

dcristo, May 1, 2014 IP
  4. serellived

serellived Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have to worry on other issues other than security measures on your PC.
    The thing with the old OS is that some programs, especially the recent ones, are incompatible with the XP.
    The tendency is that, sometimes, the system runs slower or it hangs. Other times, it crashes.
    Now that Windows XP is unsupported, perhaps it's the right time for you to change your OS as well. Or better yet, your PC.
    Just like I did with mine, which I mentioned in my blog: http://edevilleres.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-commonality-between-windows-81-and.html

serellived, May 1, 2014 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    XP crashes? Are you kidding me? That is one of the great things about Windows XP. It is one of the most stable operating systems that Microsoft have released.

dcristo, May 1, 2014 IP
  6. poddys

poddys Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have no plans to move away from Windows XP Pro and neither does the company that I work for.

As long as you have anti-virus protection (I find AVG Free perfect), check regularly for other problems (Malwarebytes, Search&Destroy), and only visit "trusted" sites, you shouldn't have any problems.

The only real limitation with XP is that you can't upgrade to IE9 or higher, but then most people who want to use a decent browser these days ought to be using Chrome or Firefox for example.

If you want to help ensure that you don't visit a site that has a bad reputation, install the Web Of Trust (WOT) plugin in your browser and it will alert you if you try to visit a site that is potentially dangerous.

poddys, May 1, 2014 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  7. poddys

poddys Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, I bought my Dell Vostro laptop 6 1/2 years ago with XP Pro installed since I didn't want to use Vista, and it's been a wise move.
    I have upgraded the memory from 2gb to 3gb, the hard drive from 120gb to 500gb and the wireless card from G to N.
    It already had a 256mg video card installed, and it still runs pretty sweet, playing most browser based games fine.
    I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

poddys, May 1, 2014 IP
  8. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As long as you have the right software to keep your computer secured then I don't see the problem. I have several PC running in my office (My primary PC is windows 8.1.1) but I still have Windows 98/ME running 24/7 and some XP as well. Would I recommend upgrade? Very much so, especially Windows 8.1.1 Pro which is what I have right now. It just gets better everyday but everyone has their own preference though, and I still love using 98/ME and as well XP but it's just I be able to do more on 8.1.1 Pro.

As goes for keeping XP or 98/ME I would recommend a live security software like Iolo (wouldn't use anything else but Iolo and has been ever since 07 now).

Joshie, May 1, 2014 IP
  9. George Arun

George Arun Member

Best Answers:
    ya, of course ...

George Arun, May 2, 2014 IP