1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is this vps enough for me?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by donsr, Apr 30, 2014.

i want to host a website with wordpress i want to know this vps specification is enough for me or not ?

Disk space: 10GB
    Bandwidth: 500GB
    RAM: 128MB
    Burst: 256MB

am going to purchase this . i want o is it enough ? if not then give me good system specification i mean good vps[spec] suggest me

Solved! View solution.
    donsr, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  2. Jedineka

Jedineka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on traffic expectations and what exactly you will post on that wordpress. What plugins you will use and so on. You need to be more specific about what you want to do on that wordpress because the range of wordpress resource usage is very wide.

Jedineka, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  3. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, unless you're doing something very specific and memory- or disk-heavy.

The great thing about VPS is that you can upgrade to bigger options easily. In my opinion, it's more important to find a good provider, who you're happy with. If your site grows to insane size very quickly, you just purchase a bigger plan and open the floodgates a little wider.

I run multiple WP sites on the economy VPS setup from GoDaddy, which is about twice the size of that spec. The biggest site is about 7Gb in size, because it consists almost entirely of images (over 5,000 of them) and at one point had 1.5 million views per month. Even then, there was plenty of room to grow.

TIEro, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  4. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you are talking about wordpress .actually i want to know about the memory usage .. i want to know how much ram taken for a normal wordpress[fresh]+apche or nginx+bind +os ram usages .. almost is enough this vps ? i know about wordpress but can i run it on

donsr, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  5. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    TIEro, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  6. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my vps taking 86 and 90 % ram with out any visitors also fresh install i think it is not enough

donsr, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  7. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Look at the processes and see what's running. Is it all WP or is there a ton of other crap running automatically?

Obviously, a "bigger" VPS will always be better. In general, I try to aim for one step higher than I need, just in case something awesome happens like a ton of traffic.

TIEro, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  8. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can easily get those resources off a web host using CloudLinux, and you don't have to pay extra for cPanel.

Unless your blog is heavily visited by lots of users then there wouldn't be any reason to go VPS.

Shagoon, Apr 30, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  9. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're going to be pushing it with 128mb of RAM. You can't count on the burst RAM, so that doesn't really factor in. If the site gets any decent traffic, you're quickly going to exhaust that RAM.

WSWD, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  10. 2WDH.com

2WDH.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Donsr.

If you are getting high resource usage at your VPS without any visitors then probably something is configured incorrectly.
    Many of our users are hosting WordPress sites at shared server and everything works fine.
    You can start with a shared hosting, see how it goes, and switch to VPS later if needed. Starting with shared webhost should be faster, easier and more affordable than VPS.

2WDH.com, May 1, 2014 IP
  11. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I find that with some wordpress plugins, (wordfence for one) that you might need 256mb ram for your site, as well, the VPS will likely need some ram for itself and the underlying software -> I think it is cutting it just to fine.

As shagoon mentioned, some shared hosts use cloudlinux, which helps prevent other sites from impacting on your own sites performance, additionally, there is no added cost (or time) needed on your part for server management, software licenses.
    Especially if this is a new site, (no traffic), it may be best to start off with shared hosting, and move the site later to a VPS once you have reached a high level of traffic.

matt_62, May 1, 2014 IP
  12. 4tuned

4tuned Peon

Best Answers:
    you have cheaper webhosts then such crap vps like one.com very cheap and very easy

4tuned, May 1, 2014 IP
  13. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok guys i like vps thats it because i have one shared hosting

donsr, May 1, 2014 IP
    In all honesty, shared hosting doesn't cut it for anything except a basic setup. As soon as you start getting decent traffic or run half a dozen blogs, it's way too slow. I started on shared and remember asking someone on one of my sites what the speed was like. "Oh God, it's horrible."

That was enough for me to switch. Sure, it's more expensive, but people generally don't want to (and will not) wait 20 seconds for your page to load.

TIEro, May 2, 2014 IP
  15. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you mean dont use vps?

donsr, May 2, 2014 IP
  16. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    your VPS ram is low. I advice you to use low ram control panel like Webmin. Then i think if your wordpress has low amount of plugins and good cache plugin, you can be ok.

postcd, May 7, 2014 IP
  17. Jason James

Jason James Peon

Best Answers:
    Those specs should be fine unless your site is high traffic, in which case you may need more ram.

Jason James, May 7, 2014 IP
  18. markjcc

markjcc Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @OP, What's the price for that configuration, I know many other VPS providers that give more bang for your buck
    If that VPS is > $4 You could be getting 1 GB of ram right now with other providers.

I have seen < $2 VPS Provider's also that provide better spec's for that.

markjcc, May 27, 2014 IP
  19. AlphaNine_Vini

AlphaNine_Vini Active Member

Best Answers:
    How much traffic you are getting . You should block unwanted bot coming to your blog to spam. If your visitors are genuine then I recommend to upgrade your VPS ram.

AlphaNine_Vini, May 28, 2014 IP