1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free VPS Panel for Small eCommerse Site

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by g0kh4n, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Which one is the best free panel?

1. Webmin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Virtualmin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Zpanel

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Kloxo

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. ISPConfig

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Webuzo

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. VespaCP

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
    Hello everyone,

First of all I'm not very familiar with servers, hostings etc. My Opencart based page is running on shared hosting now. I would like to try DigitalOcean, the prices is very promising. But i never set up a VPS and never managed a server before. I've read many documents, watched set up video and setting up VPS (on DigitalOcean) and installing panel seems easy to me. But i would like to find out which panel would be best for me?

Willing to use CentOS 6.5 x64 (I don't know why, most people advice CentOS)

I won't resell hosting, I won't use the host for more than one site. I just want to add SSL, reach basic stuff like mails, phpmyadmin etc.

Most people say:
    Webmin
    Virtualmin
    VestaCP
    ISPConfig
    Webuzo
    Zpanel (It seems easy to use but people say it has many security issues)
    Kloxo
    SolusVM (Cheap)

Or should I go with cPanel? Or start to learn SSH? :)

g0kh4n, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can't go wrong with cPanel. It will make things very easy for you. However, keep in mind that it recommends 1GB of RAM, so one droplet, or whatever the hell they call it at Digital Ocean really wouldn't be ideal (though it will run on 512mb...just not terribly well). DirectAdmin is decent too, and about 1/3 the price of cPanel.

Of the ones you list, I personally like Webuzo. It's very easy to get things set up and running. They recommend a minimum of 512mb of RAM, so that would work. Zpanel most definitely has security issues. SolusVM is not an option. That's the software that VPS companies run to deploy and manage VPS containers. It isn't something you run on your own VPS.

WSWD, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    obosor likes this.
  3. g0kh4n

g0kh4n Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply but there are many people who use cPanel with 5$/mo DO plan. I think I can pay for cPanel but the memory thing confuses me now.

g0kh4n, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    512mb of RAM is the minimum requirement. 1GB is recommended. You can see that over on cPanel's website. So while you "can" run cPanel using one of the $5/mo. DO plans, not everything is going to run well. We ran a test VPS a year or two ago with 512mb of RAM. Things would fail...randomly. EasyApache couldn't be run from within WHM, for example, and needed to be run from the command line. If your site is busy or resource intensive, you are very quickly going to run out of RAM and your VPS is going to start killing processes and shutting your site down. cPanel uses around 270mb of RAM just doing nothing, without serving a single website, so there really isn't that much RAM left for your website(s).

If you want to go with DO, their $10 plan is what would be recommended.

WSWD, Apr 22, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  5. mostwantedhost

mostwantedhost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Cpanel will be the best option if you want to pay for control panel.
    For free control panels I would recommend KLOXO or VirtualMin.

mostwantedhost, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  6. JonesJim

JonesJim Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want something free, that just works...and very easy to install and use, give VestaCP a try. If you want free ultimate control, at the sacrifice of simplicity and ease of use, go for webmin/virtualmin. Everything else is somewhere in between.

JonesJim, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  7. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    You say you are at some level new to and not entirely knowledgeable about web hosting. In that case, I would suggest that you use cPanel. Although, it is generally a paid control panel for VPS plans the value of it goes beyond what you would expect. cPanel is very intuitive and the graphical interface is very easy to learn. I think that over time you will find that the value in cPanel goes far beyond the monthly fee.

JPC-Sabrina, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If it is only for practice / learning, (and not running any important websites) SSHVM.com is one place that offers very cheap VPS packages, and they have been around for a while. One feature they have is that you can install / re-install a wide choice of OS yourself with just a few clicks, and you can even install an OS that comes with kloxo pre-installed, prices are about $3 per month.

But here is the thing, if you need support, or you are running a website on the VPS, then its always good to go with a company that offers managed VPS solutions -> yes, they will fix stuff for you, but at the same time, they will guide you, and give you alot of information and answer just about any question you have.

One difference between kloxo and Cpanel, is that I have had kloxo running nicely on a vps that had about 128mb ram, cpanel realistically needs 700+mb for running though as WSWD mentioned, 1gb is recommended.

matt_62, Apr 28, 2014 IP
    WSWD likes this.
  9. dbuilderman

dbuilderman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We've got OVZ (OpenVZ) Web Panel with our multiple VPS accounts hosted at EURO-SPACE.net , it has easy interface, with main functions to manage VPS servers, kind of same as SolusVM.

dbuilderman, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  10. obosor

obosor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can go with webuzo. Kloxo and Zpanel has few security issues.

obosor, May 6, 2014 IP
  11. suraj4u

suraj4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cpanel will be easy for you.. Nothing come near them

suraj4u, May 7, 2014 IP
  12. dbuilderman

dbuilderman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    cPanel could be used as GUI for VPS management itself, but if you have multiple servers and wish to control them, then you might need OpenVZ Web Panel, SolusVM or similar. Chat with www.euro-space.net support team they're professionals and would advice you best option.

dbuilderman, May 7, 2014 IP
  13. kambone

kambone Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahh, the good ol' control panel discussion with cPanel allways coming on top of it.

Have you tried the Hepsia Control Panel ? It is absolutely brilliant! Domain management, e-mail accounts management, file management, ftp rights management and so much more on your VPS. And guess what? Daily backup of your VPS to your own Dropbox account, activated from the Hepsia CP.
    Here is a Hepsia vs. cPanel page which can use a refresh though as there are new features which are not listed.

kambone, May 7, 2014 IP