1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can we really live without judging, as the Bible says?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by BhaskarD, Apr 16, 2014.

Now, my concern is, psychologically speaking, is it even possible to think about not judging someone. I mean, the moment we see a certain type of person, judging is the first thing we do. Yes, the judgement depends on our perception and we may keep it to ourselves, but we did judge! I have explored this theory a little more in detail in my blog:

http://www.spadefiles.blogspot.in/2014/03/to-judge-or-not-to-judge-is-not-question.html

BhaskarD, Apr 16, 2014 IP
  2. Jedineka

Jedineka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even the priests are judging you when you go to tell your sins ( i don`t know how it`s called in english that ritual ) because he gives you some penalty ( like say 50 times holy mary, or something like that ) . U cannot live without judging. The christian curches are judging people who are gay. Even the pope who is considered a saint on earth. So, everybody judges.

Jedineka, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  3. BhaskarD

BhaskarD Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly! And even if we assume that by some power, we are able to live without judging, I don't think that would be a very good thing. Loosing one's ability to judge a person is losing the firewall protecting you from cheats and thugs.

BhaskarD, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  4. D.O.Beast

D.O.Beast Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not a person who believes in all of this too deeply, but my interpretation of the "don't judge" rule is something along the lines of "Don't judge people prematurely. You can't know what they're going through and what they're thinking and what they're feeling, and if you're not willing to put forth the effort to find out you are not to judge them."
    Living 100% judgement free is impossible, but preventing yourself from blindly hating people is something that is not only possible, it's also kind of required in our society.

D.O.Beast, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  5. BhaskarD

BhaskarD Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe they should have used that word "prematurely". It is of vital context! :p

BhaskarD, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Judging and being critical of somebody or something are two different things.

When Jesus says: "Do not judge and you will not be judged..." he literally says: "Do not condemn and you will not be condemned..."

Let's say I tell somebody: "You worthless piece of crap, get out of my sight I don't have to deal with you!" - I am judging and condemning the person and, thus, deserve my own condemnation.

But if, let's say, I am an employer and I refuse to hire someone because I am critical or doubtful of the person's skills and character traits, I am not being judgmental, rather, I am using my common sense to determine what is best for my company.

Nowhere in the Bible it says that people shouldn't have common sense or be critical of someone or something.

qwikad.com, Apr 20, 2014 IP
  7. BhaskarD

BhaskarD Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are being judgmental when you are refusing to hire someone. But that judgement is necessary. The same applies everywhere else in life. The idea of not being judgmental cannot be practiced in the real world without getting duped. And if Jesus meant what you he say he meant, then he should have said what he meant.

BhaskarD, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If someone has a common sense that person would not be reading a 2000 year old book of BS anyway. ;):)

gworld, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  9. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Why are you being so rude? Everyone believes something. Even the atheists. It doesn't mean we have to slam each other belief systems.

I guess, you didn't read what it says in the rules for this thread: "This is for anything related to world politics and religion. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it (you will be banned)."

So, I'd encourage you not to use the words like BS towards the religion that is followed by millions of people worldwide.

qwikad.com, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why shouldn´t we slam religion? What else should we be nice too, should we also be nice to fascists and respect their rights to kill Jews, homosexuals and mentally handicapped? Religion does not recognize the freedom and the right of other peoples as we can see in Islamic countries where they punish and kill everyone who doesn´t agree with them and as we see with right wing Christians in USA who try to push their morality on others and now even trying to export their sick values by supporting reactionary movements in Europe, Asia and Africa that are trying to limit freedom and push back the history.
    To respect religion is like respecting Fascim, dictatorships, illiteracy, AIDS and cancer. Religion is a disease and we might need to tolerate it as we do with cancer because we don´t have a solution but respecting it is a step too far. Religious people do not believe and respect democracy and freedom and as such they deserve none.

gworld, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  11. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    You can't compare Fascism, dictatorships, illiteracy, AIDS and cancer to religion. Especially Christianity. If people chose to obey just the 10 commandments, all the atrocities you're depicting (killing the Jews by the Nazis or dictatorships) would never happen. Humans who committed those atrocities were horrible individuals whether they called themselves Christians or believers. As far as Christianity concerned it has always been on the forefront of progress and development. Galileo, Boyle, Newton, Ampere, Hertz, Kelvin, Boyd, Murray and the list can go on were all Christians and contributed significantly to the scientific community.

qwikad.com, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why can´t I compare religion to aids or dictatorships, it has certainly killed more people and destroyed more lives than AIDS or most dictatorships?
    Are you aware that 10 commandments is not even Christian things and it has its root in Judaism? It doesn´t need a genius or god to come to the conclusion that in a functioning society, people should not steal from each other or kill each other. If we take out these simple rules of civilized society that has, long before the bible existed, what do you think about the rest of hatred and dogma that it preaches? Religion is the instrument of the stupidest and most importantly hateful people who want to stop the progress of the society. Do you know that behind most reactionary movements in Europe, Asia and Africa such as taking away the right of women to abortion, forbidding homosexuality,... is the American Christian money? How many women need to die in back alley abortions or how many gays need to be executed before the blood thirst of Christians in USA is satisfied?
    It is funny you mention Galileo, are you aware he was imprisoned and tortured by the church because he dared to say that the earth was not the center of the universe? How many other scientists were killed by church? Are you aware of participation of priest in killing of the Jews? Do you know that while Nazi were decent enough to kill Jews before burning them, the Christian priests were burning them alive in order not to waste bullets?
    In many countries Nazism is forbidden and decent people fight the neo-nazi groups in order to stop them, I think that religion, be it Christianity, Islam or Judaism in no less of a danger to a democratic society and should be dealt with in the same manner.
    Here is some reminder of what Religious Christian are capable of if they will not be stopped in time:
    The Catholic laity in Slovakia was taught by their clergy that the Nazis were doing the will of Jesus Christ in exterminating the Jews. In 1942 before Passover, Rabbi Michael Dov-Ber Weissmandel asked for help from a fellow clergy person and long-time acquaintance, Archbishop Kametko. Rabbi Weissmandel begged the archbishop to intervene with President Tisso, to prevent the expulsion of the Jewish population from Slovakia.Archbishop Kametko replied "This is no mere expulsion. There you will not die of hunger and pestilence; there they will slaughter you all, young and old, women and children, in one day. This is your punishment for the death of our Redeemer. There is only one hope for you, to convert to our religion. Then I shall effect the annulling of this decree." (See "Min Hamezar", in "Faith After the Holocaust", Eliezer Berkovits, Ktav, 1973, pp. 16-17.)

In fall 1945, Rabbi Michael Dov-Ber Weissmandel escaped from a deportation to Auschwitz. He approached the papal nuncio (Catholic papal delegate) for help in stopping the extermination of Slovakian Jews. The official response was "This, being a Sunday, is a holy day for us. Neither I nor Father Tisso occupy ourselves with profane matters on this day." Rabbi Weissmandel asked how the murder of innocent men and women, children and babies could be considered "profane" by Christians. The Catholic Archbishop replied, "There is no innocent blood of Jewish children in the world. All Jewish blood is guilty. You have to die. This is the punishment that has been awaiting you because of that sin [the death of Jesus]." (Eliezer Berkovits, Faith, pp. 16-17.)

In the years 1942-1943 also in Croatia existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveliç, a practicing Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. There were even concentration camps exclusively for children!
    In these camps - the most notorious was Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar -orthodox-Christian Serbians (and a substantial number of Jews) were murdered. Like the Nazis the Catholic Ustasha burned their victims in kilns, alive (the Nazis were decent enough to have their victims gassed first). But most of the victims were simply stabbed, slain or shot to death, the number of them being estimated between 300,000 and 600,000, in a rather tiny country.

If that was 60 years ago, let's not forget Christians handy work just a couple of years ago in Rwanda when 800,000 people were killed and the Vatican is still hiding the war criminals.
    I think everyone is aware of Israel, killing Muslims under the name of their religion and barbaric laws in Muslim countries. All democratic forces must unite to stop religion before it is too late.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    gworld, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  13. BhaskarD

BhaskarD Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the Religious Vs Atheists is always a good debate, and I would love to hear more (without the nastiness of course :p ). But my question is whether the human psychology even has the option of "not-judging". Selection is a natural phenomenon. We all select wherever there are options and wherever it is allowed, and we cannot select without judging. Mr. qwikad.com made a point that when the Bible asks us not to judge, it is actually asking us not to condemn (which is of course more practical). But then, in the case that most the followers of the book follow the words blindly, wouldn't it have been a better idea to have used the proper words? Why leave ambiguity in the book of God? Or was it lost in translation? (no pun intended).

14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong, it is not about Religious VS Atheists, it is about decent, democratic, pro-progress people against religious people. ;):)

gworld, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  15. BhaskarD

BhaskarD Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe.. Well I admit there are a few things that religious books need to update (too bad that versions stopped long ago), but I don't think they are that bad. There are a few useful insights to life too. But the ambiguity that has been left in some statements (like the one being discussed), has resulted in exploitation.