1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to configure my own nameserver on vps

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by donsr, Apr 17, 2014.

the problem is simple but i dont how to do this . i have a centos 6 vps and installed ajenti control panel .. now i want to point my domain to my vps .. my domain is example.com and i want to use nameservers because i have a additional nameservers for my vps ..so my vps has a one ip address and two nameserver ip ..so now i have confused .. if i want add a records to my example.com and bind record on vps in both ? i am installed bind and i know its easily with out my own name server but i want to use my own nameserver..... the actual problem is i want to make my own nameserver and point that to my vps .. thats it .. ..now i created A record in domain register panel but ns1.example .com nameserver is invalid shows .any one help me to make my own name server and to point to my vps?

Solved! View solution.
    donsr, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  2. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

I've been reading some of you others posts, and it seems you are very new to server administration. There is a difference on what name servers your actual web server uses and what name servers your domain uses. To answer the question above, you need to add A records and NS records to your DNS zone file for the domain. Your registrar is showing an error because you need to register the name servers with the registrar before you can use them. You may need to ask them for help or let us know who you have them registered though. Your zone file should look similar to the following:

example.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.example.com.
    example.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.example.com.
    ns1.example.com. 14400 IN A YOURIP#1
    ns2.example.com. 14400 IN A YOURIP#2

Are you using a control panel for your server?

Hope that helps,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Apr 17, 2014 IP
    TIEro, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  4. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    am confused with bind dns zone ?

donsr, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  5. jeffatrackaid

jeffatrackaid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you are just doing this to learn, I don't recommend hosting your own nameservers. That is just one more thing to manage on your server. If your DNS fails any services (email/web) that depend upon it will also go offline.

So I recommend using your registrar or a DNS provider.

While we have over 100+ servers at our disposal, we still don't host our own DNS as we prefer not to have to worry about it. We use DNS Made Easy for our DNS services.

If you are doing this to learn, then see:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-install-the-bind-dns-server-on-centos-6
    or similar article for whatever OS you are using.

jeffatrackaid, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  6. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if i want to configure it was just easy ..but i want to use namservers ..now i created a zone file in bind and saved into /etc/named.conf ... also changed domain registrar records but now showing nothing ..my domain is sreerajworld.com.. i dont know when dnslookup didnt show any thing

donsr, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  7. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    anyone help me?

donsr, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  8. suraj4u

suraj4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have firewall in your vps?
    Have you added sreerajworld.com in your VPS ..i hope no

suraj4u, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  9. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you planning to give space to others and don't want others to know which host do you use ?

meetdilip, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  10. Sugavanas

Sugavanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello, PM me if you still need help. I can set it up for you easily. Don't get confused soo much.

Sugavanas, Apr 26, 2014 IP